Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Not sure yet what's the point in looking for a hard way to do an easy task.

Studio is two hours away = four hour R/T. How much time have you spent on that project at home? No concern about warranty, liability, or future resale issues either, it seems?

Again, not sure yet what's the point in looking for a hard way to do an easy task.

I'm more curious about the logic of it than how you figure it out.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Less then half an hour counting typing and googling... Less then 5 min beneath the seat.
Plenty of concern for warranty and future resale. This is why I have not stripped the wire.
I'm waiting on a junked seatbelt with the plug still intact to experiment on.
No worry about liability. I'm not going to sue myself. It will not be a visible or permanent mod anyway. I couldn't see anyone finding it unless they were looking specifically for it. And I'm only doing it to the driver's seat.

· Registered
859 Posts
$1.09 for two on ebay, free shipping.

Less then half an hour counting typing and googling... Less then 5 min beneath the seat.
Plenty of concern for warranty and future resale. This is why I have not stripped the wire.
I'm waiting on a junked seatbelt with the plug still intact to experiment on.
No worry about liability. I'm not going to sue myself. It will not be a visible or permanent mod anyway. I couldn't see anyone finding it unless they were looking specifically for it. And I'm only doing it to the driver's seat.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
$1.09 for two on ebay, free shipping.
That's where I ordered from... Was more like $7 shipped.
And if I can't figure the electrical way to do it. I'm Zip tying my original belt buckle beneath my seat. It will be plugged in to the sensor and I have an old buckle to stick in there so it thinks its buckled. Will install the NEW JUNKED Buckle just like the stock one but the sensor won't be there. NO ONE WILL KNOW. And if I wreck on the highway, the seatbelt will still pre tension for the airbags because the system will know my belt is on.
Hopefully I can hide it in the fabric somewhere but can install/remove it in under 5 min.
It's only 1 torx bolt and one plug. It's very easy to access.

· Registered
1,122 Posts

· Registered
1,417 Posts
No, remember the air bag will still fire, so the you will have facial scrapes and burns from the moving forward into the airbag as it explodes in your face.

I love safety features that require another safety feature to protect you from the first safety feature. :)

Your choice, but people do die in 25 MPH crashes.

· Registered
65 Posts
Yes, Moving the heavy car takes a lot of energy. And that energy is transferred to the driver via the seat. BLAH BLAH
But What is in motion, Tends to STAY IN MOTION. When locking up your brakes you are aware you are doing so. The driver anticipates this and braces for the fast deceleration. No harm, I've slammed brakes at highway speeds plenty of times. Just stay under control and hopefully not square off any tires. There's a slight initial jolt then you're back in motion with the car until it stops. Others on the road(IDIOTS) are the biggest danger. Passengers cannot anticipate when the breaks are applied, so they are more likely to be jolted. Try 5 mph fully depressed braking with a passenger. Pay attention to your reaction and the passengers reaction. Don't tell them you are doing it. They may bump the dash, but the driver will hardly flinch.

So comparing a crash to slamming on the brakes, is hardly similar. Bracing for a crash or being blindsided have their differences as well. Either way the blow at 20mph is likely to be a glancing blow. It is instinct to dodge the crash even in the last second. Unless on a suicidal/homicidal rampage.

Breaking glass getting in my eye would be the worst I can think happening. Next maybe hitting my nose on something....
Doesn't wear seat belt. Calls others on the road idiots.
lulwat?

The only reason why you might be fine in a low speed crash is because last minute braking and the sophisticated crumple zones in cars.

But getting in a crash travailing at in instantaneous rate of 25mph will wreck a person. This is a matter of fact.

We need to get this guy to use The Convincer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9j3FhMC04

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Doesn't wear seat belt. Calls others on the road idiots.
lulwat?
We need to get this guy to use The Convincer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9j3FhMC04
The convincer isn't convincing. I feel more jolt taking the whoops on my 250. Maybe I should be paranoid and not ride because I'll break a rib and drown in my own blood. 10mph?? What a joke. If you don't want to be in danger DONT GET IN A CAR. Wear a helmet in the car just to be extra safe. Can't hardly enjoy life being worried about every possible thing that might happen.
Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't affect other drivers....
Why no helmet law here? but there's a seatbelt law? It's about the majority of drivers, bend over and do what they're told. Yet the Motorcyclist got together and went on a helmet less ride across the state just to protest the idea of such a law. I wear my helmet almost every time, even to go 20mph through my neighborhood. BUT IT SHOULD NOT BE A LAW.

This is about big brother/red tape finding an extra excuse to get one over on people. Whether it's about finding an excuse to stop you, or making an extra buck for uncle sam's greedy fingers.
It's a purely PERSONAL CHOICE. Never said I'm out to make every effort not to wear it. Just it is my right to protect myself, when and where I see fit. NOT DOWN AN ALLEY WITH NO SIDE STREETS, NOT IN A DRIVETHRU. NOT CREEPING THROUGH MY NEIGHBORHOOD. I don't want a stupid noise going off in the car when it is not a necessary feature. It's not telling me anything I don't know. NO $HIT MY BELT'S OFF I'm reaching for my wallet. I'm moving the car around back to the garage. I'm in small town USA, NOT DOWNTOWN DALLAS. There is no neighborhood traffic. I always buckle up when I hit the main rd(it's 35mph) I might pass a car there once a month. Other then the Sheriff that sits at the only Stop Sign on the road daily. And he's only there to catch people run it and because the only convenience store(hang out) is at the same intersection with the police station attached. I won't normally see another car until I hit the highway. By then I'm long buckled up. I'll take the ticket for no belt along with the one for no license if I get stopped.

It's more likely to have a heart attack, or get cancer then get demolished at 20mph. We shouldn't be making restrictions every time there is a freak accident. You might be thrown from a car in a crash. But you will be thrown from a bike in a crash. Why are bikes even legal??

We have speed limits, and I DO NOT SPEED. Been to the dragstrip. Done 115mph in the 1/8th. I have no speeding tickets EVER. I'm sure most of you hot rodders have a few of those. SPEEDING PUTS OTHERS AT RISK. Yet there's no big brother vehicle restriction to slow you down in the 50mph zone when you're doing 70mph.

If it's the government's responsibility to decide how to best protect us while on our on property. (The vehicle is an extension of one's home and can be defended as such) Why is it not law for every civil citizen to have a firearm be kept at their home?(Not in the car) Home invasions are common and few citizens tend to be able to defend themselves. This was on the ballet at one time too!
The government works like a business, they masked the benefits it would give them. While flaunting what citizens want to hear, it was for our safety. Now they have a noose in an industry to give them a little more pull where they wanted it.(AutoIndustry)

· Registered
1,122 Posts
*LightBulb*
Why not bring back the automatic seatbelt?? If buckling up has become such a legal issue....
I owned a car once with those, think it was a mazda mx3 but not sure.
Can't remember anything bad with the auto belt. Still had a separate lap belt.
Could go in for your vehicle inspection like some states require and they could certify your auto belt is functioning.
It seems easier, safer, and more effective in enforcing seat belts then a distracting noise.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
No, remember the air bag will still fire, so the you will have facial scrapes and burns from the moving forward into the airbag as it explodes in your face.

I love safety features that require another safety feature to protect you from the first safety feature. :)

Your choice, but people do die in 25 MPH crashes.
Good looking out, but I was saying it would still fire. And that I would be wearing it. I was trying to point out that with it buckled beneath the seat, once I do buckle up the systems pretensioner will still work correctly.

Just be a cheap temporary fix until I get to the city anyway. Way cheaper then the drive/time/tolls....
Hopefully the dealer won't argue and just turn off the dam buzz. I tried turning the buzzer volume down, but it was already on 2...

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Sorry it does affect the rest of the people, as they have to pay for your being in a coma for years from riding without a helmet.

If you pay (NOT insurance) but PAY your hospital bills, then you can do what you want.

· Registered
64 Posts
Sorry it does affect the rest of the people, as they have to pay for your being in a coma for years from riding without a helmet.

If you pay (NOT insurance) but PAY your hospital bills, then you can do what you want.
My father and brother are ophthalmologists, and both love helmet-less bike riders...about 80% of the corneas they transplant on people with corneal problems come from young, healthy males who die in motorcycle crashes without a helmet...****, back in the day dad (who is now retired) used to joke that we needed a law *against* helmets, because back then it was more difficult to find corneas for transplants.

So...don't go bugging the idiots that crash at 20mph in their bikes and leave a beautiful corpse for the transplant doctors :)

· Registered
65 Posts
The convincer isn't convincing. I feel more jolt taking the whoops on my 250. Maybe I should be paranoid and not ride because I'll break a rib and drown in my own blood. 10mph?? What a joke. If you don't want to be in danger DONT GET IN A CAR. Wear a helmet in the car just to be extra safe. Can't hardly enjoy life being worried about every possible thing that might happen.
Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't affect other drivers....
Why no helmet law here? but there's a seatbelt law? It's about the majority of drivers, bend over and do what they're told. Yet the Motorcyclist got together and went on a helmet less ride across the state just to protest the idea of such a law. I wear my helmet almost every time, even to go 20mph through my neighborhood. BUT IT SHOULD NOT BE A LAW.

This is about big brother/red tape finding an extra excuse to get one over on people. Whether it's about finding an excuse to stop you, or making an extra buck for uncle sam's greedy fingers.
It's a purely PERSONAL CHOICE. Never said I'm out to make every effort not to wear it. Just it is my right to protect myself, when and where I see fit. NOT DOWN AN ALLEY WITH NO SIDE STREETS, NOT IN A DRIVETHRU. NOT CREEPING THROUGH MY NEIGHBORHOOD. I don't want a stupid noise going off in the car when it is not a necessary feature. It's not telling me anything I don't know. NO $HIT MY BELT'S OFF I'm reaching for my wallet. I'm moving the car around back to the garage. I'm in small town USA, NOT DOWNTOWN DALLAS. There is no neighborhood traffic. I always buckle up when I hit the main rd(it's 35mph) I might pass a car there once a month. Other then the Sheriff that sits at the only Stop Sign on the road daily. And he's only there to catch people run it and because the only convenience store(hang out) is at the same intersection with the police station attached. I won't normally see another car until I hit the highway. By then I'm long buckled up. I'll take the ticket for no belt along with the one for no license if I get stopped.

It's more likely to have a heart attack, or get cancer then get demolished at 20mph. We shouldn't be making restrictions every time there is a freak accident. You might be thrown from a car in a crash. But you will be thrown from a bike in a crash. Why are bikes even legal??

We have speed limits, and I DO NOT SPEED. Been to the dragstrip. Done 115mph in the 1/8th. I have no speeding tickets EVER. I'm sure most of you hot rodders have a few of those. SPEEDING PUTS OTHERS AT RISK. Yet there's no big brother vehicle restriction to slow you down in the 50mph zone when you're doing 70mph.

If it's the government's responsibility to decide how to best protect us while on our on property. (The vehicle is an extension of one's home and can be defended as such) Why is it not law for every civil citizen to have a firearm be kept at their home?(Not in the car) Home invasions are common and few citizens tend to be able to defend themselves. This was on the ballet at one time too!
The government works like a business, they masked the benefits it would give them. While flaunting what citizens want to hear, it was for our safety. Now they have a noose in an industry to give them a little more pull where they wanted it.(AutoIndustry)
Jeez. Well in any case I'm sure we could agree that children should definitely wear seat belts. Especially when the data suggests safety effectiveness without seat belts is 0% with children ( 1991-2001 ).

Source:
Glassbrenner, Donna. ESTIMATING THE LIVES SAVED BY SAFETY BELTS AND AIR BAGS. Rep. no. 500. N.p.: n.p., n.d. ESTIMATING THE LIVES SAVED BY SAFETY BELTS AND AIR BAGS. Web. <http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/esv/esv18/CD/Files/18ESV-000500.pdf>.

*LightBulb*
Why not bring back the automatic seatbelt?? If buckling up has become such a legal issue....
Could go in for your vehicle inspection like some states require and they could certify your auto belt is functioning.
It seems easier, safer, and more effective in enforcing seat belts then a distracting noise.
I have an Acura Integra with that feature. They were quickly discontinued because the seat belt had a design flaw that resulted in decapitation. There were 2 seat belts, an automatic seat belt and a second manual seat belt. The manual seat belt went around ones waist and was used to prevent one from flying forward and being choked or decapitated by the automatic over the shoulder seat belt.

If you got into crash it might be the least of your worries. There were no crumple zones back than. If you hit something at about 25mph the resulting impact would cause the hood to not crumple, but pop off and go through the wind shield decapitating everyone in the front.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
*LightBulb*
Air bags replaced those. And with both systems, you may live due to the automatic only system, but you will be regretting not wearing your seatbelt.

As for bad things, how about failures, that cost about $800 a side to fix. Had them on a 88 Dodge Shadow. Had to replace them TWICE. Thank got for the extended warranty.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts