Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate thoughts on the following. I have a red 2012 500 Pop with 46,000 miles that I enjoy a lot. BUT...
  • I’ve been through three rear main seals...
  • have a leaky oil pan seal that requires removal of the transmission to replace...
  • every time I fill up, I have to lift the back seat and pound on the top of the gas tank to free the rollover spill valve so it will take gas (and fixing it apparently requires replacement of the entire gas tank)...
  • have a hit or miss sunroof that sometimes will not close on the first dozen attempts despite resetting it and replacing the sunroof switch...
  • and now, have an inoperative tire pressure monitoring system that no one seems able to fix.
So, you know, a lot of little things that, because of the car’s design and the fact that every Fiat dealer within 60 miles of here has dropped the brand, are expensive and inconvenient to repair and have me concerned about longer term reliability.
Despite all this, I’ve hung on to the car because I like its looks and the way it drives. Plus I have hopes that it will someday be a collectible in the same way that original VW Bugs are collectible. Is that a pipe dream? Whachathink?
(By the way, my name is Tony so the FIAT acronym is apt in my case.)

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Tony, As I told you on the other forum. The 500 will never be a collector vehicle for at least. Another 25-30 year’. The Abarth version most likely, will be the valuable model.

Invest in a extended warranty. If you like your car, just have it fixed. There are Fiat owners out there, with over 100k miles on the clock. You don’t need to take your 500 to a Fiat dealership, for service. Anybody Reputable Automotive Service dept. can preform maintenance and service on this car. It’s not a exotic car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Indeed it will be a collectable one day but as stated it will be many years down the line. It may be cheaper to just buy another one without so many demons haunting it. You can get a decent low mileage abarth for less than 8k. The 2012s and 13s are known for having more issues than the later years, if it's paid off keep it regardless. And get a newer used one while you have the issues on the other fixed. as for the engine leaking issues there is a way to remove the oil pan with the trans still attached. Watch the video about upgrading the oil pan and you will see what I am talking about. consider swapping a new engine into the car from a newer year that has lower mileage. There are many option and if you love yours like I love mine you will figure it out. I love mine and no matter what happens shy of totalling the car I'm not getting rid of it period. As for tPMS that is not a necessary system as long as your diligent about even mildly looking at your vehicle that's a none issue for me. And as far as I know changing the gas tank is an ordeal to say the least. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts