Fiat 500 Forum banner

Self Fix, TPMS unavailable ...(?)

14K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  RobSmith 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So, my Tire Pressure Monitor warning came on the other day. Stayed on, won't go out, just isn't prudent. It's also not prudent for me to spend a bunch of money fixing a thing I didn't want in the first place (I visually check my tires about every other day, I check the air pressure at least once a week, and when I get a flat on the road...I know what it feels like.)
The symptoms are - the message in the EVIC (tire pressure monitoring unavailable)
When I try to read the pressures, they all work, except the RR. I get a "--"

So it seems that the tire pressure monitoring IS ACTUALLY available...it's just not reading the RR pressure sensor
Does this mean I simply have a bad sensor (shot battery) ?

If that's the case, then replacing the sensor(s) with the appropriate sensor/sending unit should fix my issue, I'm guessing

So, what if I buy a new sensors and install them myself?

My big plan is to buy a fairly inexpensive bead breaker (shown below for $35), which in reality - I only intend to ever use once (ok, 4 times), pull the offending wheel, let the air out of the tire, break the outside facing bead, squish the tire down far enough to get to the air valve, TMPS doohicky, replace it, refill the tire, and slap that baby back on the car. Viola!

Right? Right? Bueller? Bueller?

Someone shoot holes in my theory before I buy the bead breaker!

Or not!

See less See more
#5 ·
You are correct. 1 defective sensor posts that message. Replaced 2 so far on wife’s 2012 Sport.
Air our, break bead, hold down sidewall, replace sensor, refill air and put back on car.
drive a few miles and system updates new sensor ID.
better than buying and using TPMS tool I have for other vehicles.
Go for it, Good Luck.

#6 ·
You are correct. 1 defective sensor posts that message. Replaced 2 so far on wife’s 2012 Sport.
Air our, break bead, hold down sidewall, replace sensor, refill air and put back on car.
drive a few miles and system updates new sensor ID.
better than buying and using TPMS tool I have for other vehicles.
Go for it, Good Luck.
Thanks Ferret,

Where'd you buy your sensors ?

#17 ·
UPDATE! OK, I ordered the sensors that Ferret recommended, off Amazon. They came in before Christmas. Today, the bead breaker thingy came in. Funny, I already had the *** of the Hooptie up on the floor jack, messing with the exhaust, which had a clunk.
So, once the clunk was fixed, I got all the stuff together to try out the new bead breaker.

Fashion accessory

After pulling the valve stem core, I hooked the bead breaker on the wheel, worked it just a little, and it BROKE THE BEAD LOOSE! It was easy.
The harder part was getting the old unit out without dropping it into the tire because: Well THAT funks up the balance, don't it?
Pulled the new TPM through the hole after soaping it up, pulled the valve core out of that one, soaped up the bead/rim a bit, and filled it with air from the portable compressor I had. No issues there.
Once it was all back on the car, I took it for a drive and the light went out at exactly 2.7 miles (YMMV)

Viola!

Thanks to all who assisted with their sage advice!

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.