Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got a black 500e over the weekend, and on Monday, the 1st day with the car, two messages showed up. The 1st one is "Service electric system", and the 2nd one is "Service PRND continue driving do not shift or turn off vehicle until you reach a desired location. You may not be able to shift again to D until serviced". Both messages happened when I just started the car, all PRND button lighted up and I couldn't press any of them. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. On the 1st day!!! Now the car is in service that I don't know how long it would take.

Anyone experience the same problem? Does that related to the recall in the sticky thread (btw, the link in that thread is dead, I still don't know what kind of recall is that).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Aaaaagh!! Well, the good news is, they oughta fix it, quickly and effectively. I hope they give you a loaner and ten details.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the 500e ownership experience. The 500e is the best car I've ever owned but its very buggy -- especially when you compare it to other cars. I mean even the cheapest Hyundai is a pretty darn polished experience these days.

Bottom line: Expect glitches and you will be less frustrated. We are all beta testers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum and the 500e ownership experience. The 500e is the best car I've ever owned but its very buggy -- especially when you compare it to other cars. I mean even the cheapest Hyundai is a pretty darn polished experience these days.

Bottom line: Expect glitches and you will be less frustrated. We are all beta testers.
If it's very buggy then what makes it the best car for you :)?

I got the car back. They said it's just a wire that was somewhat bent that messed up the shifting system. They are sure it will never happen again, let's see!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello. New to this Forum and living abroad.
I have imported a used 2015 500e and have been driving it for about 7k miles without any problems.
Yesterday all of a sudden the 'Service PRND' message showed up after starting the car and the car wouldn't shift back into Park. I drove it to a parking lot, stopped and restarted. Then all the PRND gearbox lights lit up and I wasn't able to put it into any gear. Now the car is just sitting there and I need to get it towed.
I am reading about a wire problem with the gearbox (wire bent/not connected properly).
Anyone had similar issues and/or knows where to look for the wire/its connection?

Hope somebody can help. Thanks!

So I finally got a black 500e over the weekend, and on Monday, the 1st day with the car, two messages showed up. The 1st one is "Service electric system", and the 2nd one is "Service PRND continue driving do not shift or turn off vehicle until you reach a desired location. You may not be able to shift again to D until serviced". Both messages happened when I just started the car, all PRND button lighted up and I couldn't press any of them. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. On the 1st day!!! Now the car is in service that I don't know how long it would take.

Anyone experience the same problem? Does that related to the recall in the sticky thread (btw, the link in that thread is dead, I still don't know what kind of recall is that).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The first thing to try is a 30-second 12V disconnect.

Whether that works or not, I hope someone can tell us what "wire" we can check to make sure ours are okay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thx! I disconnected the 12V battery twice already (to reboot the car), but unfortunately the problem is still there...
More advice/experiences are welcome...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Assuming you disconnected long enough, or turned on lights til it died, here are some longshots that have been reported as seeming to work for other issues (in approximate order of how long they might take, including shipping):

• Check all fuses
  • Plug in to stock charger
  • 30-HOUR 12v disconnect
  • AlfaOBD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Service PRND might be an indication that something is wrong with the parking pawl mechanism. There is a small electric motor that moves the parking pawl. The parking pawl function is to lock the gearbox from any movement when in the park position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi abenusa. Thx a lot for your feedback. I think this might be the cause of the problem indeed.
A friend of mine just helped me to read the car's OBD and the following fault code came out: P164000 - Shift Module Motor Performance.
After resetting this code came back right away.
Are you (or is anybody) else familiar with this code?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many thanks!
It seems to be to problem which the 2nd procedure could maybe solve...it shifted out of Park, then the warning light came up. I was able to drive it back to my office but then it wouldn't go back into Park again...and after restarting the car all the lights on the gear shift module lit up (and still do).
Will try the 2nd procedure with help of my mechanic...good eve!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi abenusa (or someone else). Will try the manual repair procedure tomorrow morning. Car will have to be jacked on the driver's side, as there is no way to get to the manual park release (park pawl screw) with the car sitting flat in the parking lot. In case it doesn't work, i will have to get the car towed (onto a flatbed truck). Any experience with that? Where to attach the towing cable? On the back of the car seems best the way the car is parked...
There is a big metal bar underneath the car, about 20 inches inward from the rear bumper (I think just before the battery). Maybe attach it here? Advice welcome, as I don't want to ruin anything in case the car needs to get towed.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Laurent,

Did you resolve the issue? I might have the same thing happening right now so I am interested in how you resolved it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi David,
Sorry to hear you seem to be having the same issue.
I followed the 2nd procedure posted by abenusa (see post #13 above) and it worked! My gearbox was stuck in the unlock state.
To be able to reach the access screw of the park pawl motor I had to lift the front driver side of my car using a large jack.
The only difference (small) with the procedure described in the manual posted by abenusa was the clockwise/counterclockwise sequence for turning the screw in the park pawl mechanism. I had to do this exactly the other way around.
I kept the 12V battery of my car disconnected for > 24 hours by the way, before I followed the whole procedure.
Having finalized the procedure I connected the battery again and the car went into Ready mode again and all the lights on the gearbox were out again.
Hope it works for you as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi David,
It is located behind the front bumper on the driver's side, attached to the large silver electrical motor. It is blak and looks like a soda can and sticks out to the front of the car. You need to lift the car though, either with a jack or on a bridge. I couldn't get to it without having lifted the car.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hi Laurent,

Did you resolve the issue? I might have the same thing happening right now so I am interested in how you resolved it.
Hello David,
We are sorry to hear you are experiencing trouble with your vehicle. If you are unable to rectify a solution through the help of your fellow forum members, we would suggest getting this addressed by your fiat dealer. If you decide to go this route and need additional assistance, you can reach out to us privately.
Laura
FiatCares

1 - 20 of 28 Posts