Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was driving to the gym one morning and the dreaded service propulsion system light came on. The vehicle came to nearly a halt from full highway speeds and I was just able to get off the freeway since I was next to an exit. Upon exiting the freeway I figured I could scoot the car onto a surface lot since it’s normally fairly easy to move about while in neutral. Well, I was wrong, it felt like something was still engaged in the transmission and it took three people to move the car! When we finished moving it, one of the guys that helped me out said “this sure is a heavy little car!”, to which I replied that it normally isn’t! The car was then towed to a local dealer and I finally got a call back today, nearly four weeks later. The first diagnosis was that the power inverter failed. The part was ordered and replaced to no avail. Then they moved onto the main power cables but again, no luck. Lastly, the motor was replaced and it seems as though the car is finally running again, however, no one can tell me what caused the power and drive systems to fail! Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you learn?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great hearing that you haven’t had any issues. I’m happy that this issue was covered under warranty as it would have been quite costly otherwise.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
No problems in all 40,000 miles for any of us:

- I bought my 2013 in 2015 with a little under 10,000 miles & put a little under 10,000 more miles on it.
- A friend leased an early 2015 & has put about 20,000 miles on it.
- A co-worker bought a 2014 in 2016 with a little under 10,000 miles & put about 10,000 more miles on it.

My friend & I got the software updates but my co-worker did not, yet he still hasn't had any issues. He later told me he'd been observing me for a year before jumping on board, & now he says "It meets 100% of my needs. It's superior in every way to a gas car". Keep in mind that if he wants to take a road trip he borrows his girlfriend's gas Fit. Myself I borrow a friend's, or rent, or just drive to the airport :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello friend i got used fiat 500e and got notification service propolusion error. Could anywone explain what could be a reason? 26000miles, 2014year of production

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
1st thing to try is 30-second 12V disconnect. That almost always fixes 500e computer glitches, just like any electronic device (my 1-yr-old Keureg needs more frequent reboots than my 6-yr-old Fiat!)

If 30 seconds doesn't work, try a minute or 5 or an hour or overnight, whatever's convenient.

Please keep is posted.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
Good idea, since it's a 2015 & my friend's 2014 12V batt died last year. My 2013 still works though, probably because I open the hood when charging to let the heat out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First of all thank you for your attention. failure message disappeared today morning, still I checked 12 V battery and it's weak. They recommended me to replace it.
PS. car was 5 month in container, I bought it in California in July and revived it 1 week ago, it could be also a reason of discharge. I will try to charge 12 V battery separately and observe, if again appears same problem I will replace 12 V battery.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
Charging the 12V separately won't likely make any difference because it gets charged constantly during HV charging and whenever the key is in the "on" position (>14V on AlfaOBD).

I just remembered some folks here have reported a specific notice for 12V battery failure which appeared a couple days before it actually failed, so if "service propulsion" appears again it's probably not due to the 12V.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Charging the 12V separately won't likely make any difference because it gets charged constantly during HV charging and whenever the key is in the "on" position (>14V on AlfaOBD).

I just remembered some folks here have reported a specific notice for 12V battery failure which appeared a couple days before it actually failed, so if "service propulsion" appears again it's probably not due to the 12V.

"service propulsion" disappeared, hopefully the reason could be a 12V battery. I checked on Mopar.com with VIN and all recalls were proceeded, including PIM recall. Do you think it can appear again, can I prevent it in advance?

PS. could someone tell me how can I reset TPM? I set pressure on all tires 2.4bar = 35psi, but low pressure indicator is still on. ;(

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,371 Posts
Again, "service propulsion" is probably not from a bad 12V, since that should show "service 12V". I've seen the former a few times but always cleared by just cycling the key.

I once was sold the wrong TPMS sensor, & after correcting it still didn't work & needed to be reprogrammed wirelessly at the tire shop. It can still take several miles of driving over 15mph for the car to recognize it, but usually only a few blocks does it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
PS. could someone tell me how can I reset TPM? I set pressure on all tires 2.4bar = 35psi, but low pressure indicator is still on. ;(
Fill to 40psi for good measure. Then drive for a few minutes at 30mph. That should be enough to get them to activate and send a signal back to the car. You can monitor each individual tire pressure on the instrument panel screen to determine which tire is the problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
First of all thank you for your attention. failure message disappeared today morning, still I checked 12 V battery and it's weak. They recommended me to replace it.
PS. car was 5 month in container, I bought it in California in July and revived it 1 week ago, it could be also a reason of discharge. I will try to charge 12 V battery separately and observe, if again appears same problem I will replace 12 V battery.
Thank you!
So did you replace the 12v?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fill to 40psi for good measure. Then drive for a few minutes at 30mph. That should be enough to get them to activate and send a signal back to the car. You can monitor each individual tire pressure on the instrument panel screen to determine which tire is the problem.
Great job, I pumped on 2.8 bar an after few km's signal disappeared.
Your suggestion was 100% helpfull.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I was driving to the gym one morning and the dreaded service propulsion system light came on. The vehicle came to nearly a halt from full highway speeds and I was just able to get off the freeway since I was next to an exit. Upon exiting the freeway I figured I could scoot the car onto a surface lot since it’s normally fairly easy to move about while in neutral. Well, I was wrong, it felt like something was still engaged in the transmission and it took three people to move the car! When we finished moving it, one of the guys that helped me out said “this sure is a heavy little car!”, to which I replied that it normally isn’t! The car was then towed to a local dealer and I finally got a call back today, nearly four weeks later. The first diagnosis was that the power inverter failed. The part was ordered and replaced to no avail. Then they moved onto the main power cables but again, no luck. Lastly, the motor was replaced and it seems as though the car is finally running again, however, no one can tell me what caused the power and drive systems to fail! Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you learn?
Funny enough I was also driving my 2017 Fiat 500e with just 13k miles on odometer to the gym today and after backing out of my garage the vehicle suddenly displayed same "Service Propulsion System" warning. I tried shifting gear to "D" then "R" but vehicle would not shift or move. It would only my shift gear to "P" and "N". I selected "N" for car to glide and parked it along the curb in front of my house. I turned the vehicle on and off several times but still got "Service Propulsion System" warning and unable to shift from "P" to "D". I re-entered my home and about an hour later I re-attempted to start and drive the vehicle and this time I was able to drive with nor warning or error messages.

Does any have any feedback and/or thoughts on this behavior? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts