Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500e La Prima 2022 Grey
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can schedule charging but to me it looks like you can only specify a start and end time. I admit I haven’t tried to set up scheduled charging yet so I may be missing something but there appears to be no way to set up charging and tell it to stop when the desired percentage of capacity has been reached e.g. stop charging at 80%.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
Right, so if you just let it fully charge it's fine, or if you really want to "baby" it, a very rough estimate of the time you set on the timer is also fine.

For example last night I estimated that mine would be at around the ideal 60% storage charge by about 3am, so I just set the car's timer to stop at 3am.

Doesn't matter if it's not quite perfect, since even charging to "full" every night has nearly every 1st-gen owner reporting no noticeable range loss even after many tens of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know you can schedule charging but to me it looks like you can only specify a start and end time. I admit I haven’t tried to set up scheduled charging yet so I may be missing something but there appears to be no way to set up charging and tell it to stop when the desired percentage of capacity has been reached e.g. stop charging at 80%.
Correct you need to guess your charging time to get it around 80%. I started using the start and end time recently and it has worked well. My commute is the same every day. I know approximately the time it will take to get it around 80%. I used to just plug it in and let it charge to 100%.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
The answer is the same for this forum's car AND the mk1: You would avoid 100% if you really wanted to "baby" it & maintain maximum range as long as possible. Same goes for the mk1, or a laptop, or cell phone.

It's similar to a petrol car: You can let it warm up a bit more, avoid short drives, & get more frequent oil changes if you want to make it last even longer.

It's actually even easier on this forum's car, since you could charge it to only 60% & still have more range than a mk1!

·
Registered
105 Posts
You would avoid 100% if you really wanted to "baby" it & maintain maximum range as long as possible. Same goes for the mk1, or a laptop, or cell phone.

It's similar to a petrol car: You can let it warm up a bit more, avoid short drives, & get more frequent oil changes if you want to make it last even longer.

It's actually even easier on this forum's car, since compared to the mk1 it has more capacity available to set aside unused, like the top 20% or whatever.
Exactly (it's about 13% on this one) so why worry about charging to 100% when 100% isn't 100%.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,230 Posts
I don't think anyone is "worried' about it. It's just a free, easy way to extend the car's useful lifespan, like if you could just push a button to get a free oil change in your own garage, you might do that more often than usual, to increase longevity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts