Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its pretty extreme and most people dont see the point. But we all know 101 HP isnt alot, what IS on the 500's side is that it only weighs 2350 LBS. Are any of you planning on dropping more weight with lighter wheels, front seats, rear seat delete etc?
I had a 04 SVT Focus which had 170 HP and weighed 2750 stock, I stripped out 150 LBs and the difference was huge, more so than when I added bolt on performance parts. It's been said that every 200 LBS you drop you gain 10% in power ( so 10 HP for our 500). Once pricing info on the abarth gets released i'll decide if I will be keeping my sport or not, if I do keep it I will probably be doing all these weight reductions, anyone else thinking of it?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have hopes the exhaust setup I go with will reduce some weight, lighter rims is also likely, beyond that I don't see much changing for me, if they release a carbon fiber hood then that is an option I may go for, it would definitely be painted to match the car color not left as is like many I see (and dislike).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I would also consider a carbon hood, I dont mind the look of a stock carbon hood especially on a white car like my 500. Changing out seats, rear seat delete, wheels and hood can shave around 100 Lbs, I like the idea of that. The Lotus elise goes from 0-6 in less than 5 seconds and it only has 180 HP, weight plays a huge factor in handling, acceleration and braking

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I would only consider carbon, if it's real. Most carbon hoods are laminate fiberglass with a layer of carbon, which is why they need metal frames.

So it done right the hood would weigh around 4lbs. Then I'm all for it

·
Registered
433 Posts
I myself could shed about 20 pounds. That would help a lot in performance, and gas milage.
^ this.

but if you want to put your car on a diet, start with the rear wiper & motor, spare tire, & the rear seats if you are feeling motivated. at the end of the day you will have a car that is louder, doesn't look as nice, arguably less functional, and still slow.

enjoy =)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I myself could shed about 20 pounds. That would help a lot in performance, and gas milage.
Save on food costs, too. I'll look better, and feel better. The car would be a bit faster without spending quite a bit for a CF hood that save the weight for when I down a 12pack.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would love a set of racing buckets in the front and some lightweight wheels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I do anything it'll be the rear seat delete, but then whenever I see that roll cage and spare tire setup I want it. It looks awesome, but there goes my weight savings lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts