Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I thought I would get your opinion on what kind of shift knobs you got in your Fiats. Do you have stock knobs? Aftermarket, if yes what kind? I seem to treat shift knobs similar to phone cases, i like to have many different ones and like to switch them once and a while. Some cars have awesome stock knobs, I dont think you can say the same about the sport and pop knobs.​

·
Registered
123 Posts
BLACK brand shift knob, black over red, from Madness. Mounted to Craven short shift with BLACK brand black leather-with-red-stitching shift boot. Big upgrade in feel and appearance. Also the higher mass of the shiftknob helps with the shift motion. Love it all.

Shifter.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
what i am curious to know is ... are there ant replacements knobs for the automatic trans, I recently saw one and realized how tall and weird they were

·
Registered
478 Posts
Blackshiftknob.jpg
@Rushin, I have an aftermarket Black knob from 500 Madness. Its got a nice weight, fits better in the hand, and the carbon fiber and Abarth logo really look great.

@500normal, yeah, they make a lot of knobs for the automatics.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'm still waiting for mine to come off in my hand like it has for others... as long as i am using the stock shifter and modified reverse lockout ring, i'll be keeping the stock plastic knob.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I installed a Black knob from Madness. It is the shiny black top with the chrome base. It looks great with the reverse ring. I like the weight and the classy look. Getting the stock knob off was not as easy as reported. It was not simply glued on as the installation video suggests. The top was connected to the base with thin metal clips. It took a lot of effort to separate the two. Be VERY careful with the screwdriver if decide to make the change. It would be easy to loose control while trying to pry the top off and damage the dash with the screwdriver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you guys tend to keep a knob for a long time or like to switch them once in a while? How much would you pay for a high quality direct fit knob? What's your favorite material for a shift knob?

What are your thoughts on Abarth style shift knob for sport and pop? Do you like that shape?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's mine. Just did it today. It's a universal fit with my mechanic touch with a little custom touch I made it work. I absolutely love it! Removed that horrid lock out to. Finding 5th isn't as bad as every one thinks. It's pretty close to 3rd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd love to get a smooth wood shift knob for my 5-speed, as I find that the indented shift pattern writing on the top of the factory knob irritates my hand a little. Since the shifter is in the absolute perfect spot I tend to leave my hand resting on it while driving, and after a while I become aware of the recessed writing. The most minor of quibbles, I know, but when the rest of the car is spot-on perfect what can I say? My only gripe is I'm reluctant to spend 150$ + shipping for the BLACK unit.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The cost is all that's keeping me from getting the Black Knob and Boot.
Sewing a boot and e-brake together is not worth $150...
Maybe $40 tops, material cost is less than $10 and time is less than 1hr.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
what i am curious to know is ... are there ant replacements knobs for the automatic trans, I recently saw one and realized how tall and weird they were
Most universal shift knobs with the rubber/vinyl inserts and allen screws will work. You are correct that some sit way up high, so you have to hunt for ones that will sit right. I went from a billet knob that was four pieces not including the inserts to a carbon fiber knob that is two pieces - a carbon fiber ball and a peened aluminum stem. I filled the stem with three inserts stacked on top of each other, tightened 4 allen screws at the top and screwed the ball head on. The ball head cover the screws. It was cheap ($18) but feels good and is very simple looking. I will be posting pics and putting together a "garage" page soon.

Also Nardi's are nice and probably sit well. I was thinking about a wood Nardi, but decided to spend the money elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts