Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you check ALL of the FIAT literature, ads, the FIAT Studios, etc....."FIAT" is all caps. why?

because "FIAT" is not a name, per se, but an acronym standing for 'Fabrica Italiana Automobila Torino'. FIAT

just something to think about........

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Toluca. Didn't know that. I'll put that on my personal plate.

Translates: Italian factory Toluca Automobiles, I think.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ha ha. That^'s pretty funny. They have obviously selected factories purposefully to not change the FIAT, to say FIAD (Detroit, USA), or FIAN (Norfolk, England), etc. :rolleyes:

So we have

US: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Toluca (Mexico)
EU: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Tychy (Poland)
Antiques: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (Italy)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ha ha. That^'s pretty funny. They have obviously selected factories purposefully to not change the FIAT, to say FIAD (Detroit, USA), or FIAN (Norfolk, England), etc. :rolleyes:

So we have

US: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Toluca (Mexico)
EU: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Tychy (Poland)
Antiques: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (Italy)
Fiat Fiorino, Doblò, Qubo: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Turkey :)

Fortunately in Italy still remained Bravo, Idea, Panda 2012 and Ducato ;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
My experience, while living in Europe for some years, is that media frequently show acronyms as mixed case and initialisms as upper case. So NATO many times gets printed as "Nato", but EU is always EU. That may account for some of the mixed use.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo.. or SEAT. We got those here (really awesome cars, the Cupras and Bocanegras kick serious butt). They are never referred to as "Seats", though - their publicity is always SEAT.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo.. or SEAT. We got those here (really awesome cars, the Cupras and Bocanegras kick serious butt). They are never referred to as "Seats", though - their publicity is always SEAT.
SEAT? now: Sociedad Volkswagen de Automóviles de Turismo
and before: Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Torino...:)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you check ALL of the FIAT literature, ads, the FIAT Studios, etc....."FIAT" is all caps. why?

because "FIAT" is not a name, per se, but an acronym standing for 'Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino'. FIAT

just something to think about........

sorry....my bad. I was trying to read my avatar and it wasn't clear enough. I'm sooooo ashamed. :eek:

·
Registered
54 Posts
weird, you are right! I always thought it was "Turismo".
in fact, is Turismo, but is a company founded with the participation of Fiat (also the acronym is similar) and they have rebranded Fiat cars until 1992, until its acquisition by VW.
mine was a joke about the fact that the cars were from "Torino" :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
SEAT? now: Sociedad Volkswagen de Automóviles de Turismo
and before: Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Torino...:)
I double checked, and Wikipedia says it really is Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo. :confused:

edit: DUH! I need to read the whole thread before posting!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts