Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the dealer take off my side skirts on my prima and re apply them, only for the drivers side to keep peeling, they even ordered a new set and same thing happened, any one else having this problem? Im going to order an aftermarket set anyways but I wonder why they wont stay on

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've read about others having the same issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had the dealer take off my side skirts on my prima and re apply them, only for the drivers side to keep peeling, they even ordered a new set and same thing happened, any one else having this problem? Im going to order an aftermarket set anyways but I wonder why they wont stay on
Yes, I am having the same problem with my PE as are a couple of other people I know. OC Fiat is giving me the "Huh, What?" response. How did you get them to replace them. They obviously don't fit well enough for 3M tape only with no hardware.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

... I wonder why they wont stay on
Hi,

I guess a couple thoughts might be that they are either warping for some reason or maybe the attachment stuff is failing. I guess it could be due to poor materials or residual stresses in the side pieces due to how they were manufactured, or higher than expected stresses. Have you done any mods to your car that might have made the ride harsher (like say dropping/changing the suspension or anything like that)?

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can I refuse to answer that on grounds that...well you know. Actually I have lowering springs (Eibachs) on our HotFiat.com car but the part was loose/warped long before the springs were installed. Pretty much in the first month or so.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My Sport, driver side skirt looked like it had gotten grabbed by something mechanical after I got it home and looked it over closely. The selling dealer ended up ordering a new part and having it painted after taking one off one of their other cars did the same thing (started pulling away from the body). My local dealer, which I didn't buy from, told me while I was in getting my 1st oil change that some of the skirts on the early cars were warped before they were installed and that Fiat had used very narrow 3M tape to secure them to the body. He said the newer skirts use much wider tape and more of it. I don't know if any of this helps you, but the more info, the merrier.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope, no bolts whatsoever. Mine started falling off way before I lowered the car. Dealer has tried now 3 times and last time replaced the skirt with a new one and its stil falling off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds to me that the dealers that don't stick their head in the sand and ignore the problem can't fix it. I wonder if they know about Betalink K1

I also wonder if the replacement skirts were taken out of old stock and were not the ones that are supposed to be from the later/better batch.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I also wonder if the replacement skirts were taken out of old stock and were not the ones that are supposed to be from the later/better batch.
The repair with the new part fixed the problem on my Sport. I think they may have used some additional adhesive compound in addition to the double sided tape. In any case, it hasn't pulled away since the fix in August. I do keep my 500 garaged when not in use and being retired it doesn't stay out in the weather for long periods of time.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I am looking at the POP model, do all models have the side skirt issue or is this referring to the body kit on the sport and lounge? Thanks
Only Sport models do. The bumpers are also different on the Sport.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I am looking at the POP model, do all models have the side skirt issue or is this referring to the body kit on the sport and lounge? Thanks
Yep, you're the LUCKY person. The pop doesn't have the side skirts running below the door. I believe ALL the problems have been confined to the SPORT model. As I understand it Fiat has increased the width of the double sided tape used on the skirts and I haven't heard of any of the newer manufactured cars having the problem. I hope they don't screw them up on the Abarth's as they will have side skirts too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.