Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 500c Automatic for quite a while now, and when on long highway trips I get 38 MPG or so my typical commute millage has been very consistent once the car was broken in, I get 33-34.5 on average. When I put on my Magnaflow axle back, I didn't notice any real change in MPG, just a nice satisfying change in the overall tone of the cars sound profile. Last week I decided to add a new intake to my car. I'd been thinking about the Mopar CAI vs the RoadRace short ram intake, and was very tempted. In the end, since I'm a pretty crafty and handy guy, I decided to make my own from available stock parts and was very happy with the result.

Now 300 miles later....I am blown away by the change in the car. The pickup is definitely much improved, but the real shocker is that my fuel economy is almost 10% better! I am getting 36.5-38 MPG now. Even if some of the improvement is just a coincidence, its clear that this mod will pay for itself within a year...plus I get all the fun. Are others with upgraded intakes getting similar fuel economy boosts?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
i don't know if i just have a lead foot but i have never gotten more than 30 mpg as an average, its usually around 28-29. Im not getting near the 35-38 i thought i was going to get. But i just got a RRM intake and installed it today so we will see if it increases.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I can get 46mpg on the highway. Only if I drive exactly at the speed limit, no cruise and use a frustratingly light foot. 33-34mpg is my current average. I'm interested in seeing if anyone else is experiencing any significant increase in fuel economy with a CAI.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My economy went up 10% too ---- but it was from the switch from winter fuel to summer fuel.
They have that in FL too...

Take it off for 3 tankfuls to confirm your findings. It's worth the experiment.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm getting 40 mpg on the highway, don't care about city. I have a heavy foot and I know it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i don't know if i just have a lead foot but i have never gotten more than 30 mpg as an average, its usually around 28-29. Im not getting near the 35-38 i thought i was going to get. But i just got a RRM intake and installed it today so we will see if it increases.
Ditto, my last few month average was about 28. Some how it jumped up to 31.5 last week and it's been hovering there for a while now. My average speed on the highway is usually around 70-80. And yes I have a heavy foot. And my normal shift is around 4500 rpm if I'm not stepping on it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually having a little more power in a car like this is almost a given to increase MPG. The reason is that once you get the weight of the car moving it does not take as much to keep the car moving.. If you can get the car moving faster using less fuel (ie less pedal) you will significantly increase fuel economy. As well fluctuations in the incline of a road will be less of a problem for the car with a little more power as you wont have to use as much gas to keep the car at a constant speed.

With an engine the size of the fiats squeezing a little more HP shouldn't use significantly more fuel but it should free the car from getting bogged.

Brion

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the injen CAI, didnt observe an increase in mileage,

I drive the nuts off of this little fiat and have never seen under 32.5mpg. even when I deliberately tried to get down to C&D's 29mpg number. I could not do it.

37combined 42-43 highway (~70mph) w/ or w/o intake. only MPG bump I got was with an ECU tune that took advantage of premium fuel.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
its a proven fact that a CAI will increase a car's MPGs.
Yes, I have the Mopar CAI and I have at least a 2MPG increase. And more power. A worthwile mod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts