Super Moderator
22,119 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just received my second SILA concepts short ram today, the first one had the ill fitting bracket. Unfortunately this one appears not to fit either. Granted, it does fit better than the first one I had, which wouldn't even fit in the engine compartment when put all together.

I've been on the phone with Francis and he's show pictures of my intake to the techs who have said there is nothing wrong with it, and that may very well be true. But the fitment is off. Either the lower plugs go in or the stabilizer bracket, not both. Here are the pictures of the issue I've come across...

photo.jpg
image.jpg

As you can see the bracket next to the oil is about one inch or so away and about 1/2 an inch or so too high to connect. The rubber boot that connects the to the turbo and to the pipe rests against a tube and cannot be pushed down any further. I'm in love with the sounds, but the fit leaves something to be desired, but at this point I'm just going to deal with it and see if I can fabricate something to help keep the intake anchored down in the bay.

·
Registered
194 Posts
HundredYardHero, I wonder why they couldn't have designed it to re-use the factory turbo inlet hose. Or at least a custom designed inlet hose that doesn't get jambed up against the front grille frame.

I also don't understand why they don't design the red tube so it clears the hoses it goes over at the front of the engine and the hoses under the air filter at the back. It just needs to be about 1/2" higher. If designed correctly it should fit like a glove and take 10 minutes to install.

My experience with 500madness is that it has top notch customer service. They are very, very accommodating so you needn't worry if you order something that you might have a problem. They will bend over backwards to insure it works for you. My rep's. name was Joseph. I highly recommend him.

..rickko..

·
Registered
478 Posts
@rickko, yeah, I was thinking the same thing about using the factory turbo inlet. If you compare the two there is a clear difference on distance apart too. They SILA should model the tube to be exactly like the stock one.

If you watch the install DIY video on Madnesses site its like 3 minutes, with some fast forwarding during the screwing and unscrewing bits. Probably 10 minutes overall. Just that one seemed to fit like a glove and mine didn't. The guy on the phone said they'd never heard about the problem I'm having, although the Madness rep on here said there were some who had the fitment issues. I don't know if he wasn't informed of that or what. I've never had an issue with 500 madness customer service wise, all great and try to help. And when they can't they are more than ready to give you your money back or ship you something else. Great company. Not their fault it isn't fitting.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The clips should have some play in them, the only thing that would be holding the bracket off like that is the boot. Try to loosen the clamp on the boot, line up the tab, then tighten everything down. We will make sure you are taken care of in every way and are happy with your selection!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know what he's going thru. You can't adjust the boot (elbow) because its notched for the turbo (Sure the customer can re-notch it but the product is expensive so it should be correct right from the box). Plus, that elbow is just plain too fat! It rubs against chassis parts.

Then there is no clearance between the red tube and the lines that cross perpendicular beneath it near the front. You can't physically push the red tube down enough because of of those lines to get the foot of the bracket to touch the engine! That bracket should actually be long enough to lift the red tube above any interfering lines. Plus you gouge the beautiful powder coating from the hose clamp on the line passing under the tube in the process. Who knows how long before that contact will wear through the aluminum tube.

Then there is the filter end. You have to mash the filter down on some lines to get the foot of the bracket pressed down to the engine. With everything aligned correctly I think the bracket foot should just lie in the correct location. No pressure on the tube to push it down to the engine should be necessary.

Even if you are lucky enough to brute force the bracket down to the engine then the two vacuum ports don't line up with the vacuum hoses. I know. I had to wait for a modified red tube that had the ports welded on in the right spots.

Once I got the 2nd setup installed (still with lots of brute force), the silicon boot/elbow going to the turbo started to get worn thru by a hex bolt-head on the inside of the front grille frame. That only took about 50 miles of driving before you could actually see the threads of the silicon elbow exposed in the hole made by the bolt-head because of the tube's pressure against the bolt-head and vibration of the engine. IMO, that elbow shouldn't be big enough to press against any body part. The stock one doesn't.

More detailed design work is needed on that product IMO. Once done right, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to install it, and without damaging the filter or the silicon hose or the need to use extreme force to get the bracket foot aligned. Until then I think a K&N installed on the rear of the black stock air diverter is all one needs to get a sufficient short-shot to the turbo.

..rickko..

·
Registered
924 Posts
BTW by adjust the boot, I was referring to loosening the clamp and pulling the tube out farther so the tab would reach, then tighten them, it looks like the tube is too far into the boot. After we got the feedback about the hose barb and fitting needing to be moved for a better installation we got with SILA and had them make adjustments to all future intakes. If it wasn't forums like this and the feedback from you guys it would all take a lot longer!

·
Registered
194 Posts
... If you pull the tube out, then the 'barbs' are mis aligned. ... Believe me, I tried everything to make the first one sent to me work. There is no way it would fit while keeping the stock engine cover on too.

What would be nice would have been a paper set of directions, like you get with the 28mm torsion bar, explaining the nuances one must consider during installation. The video's don't tell you the little tips and tricks. They certainly don't mention a bolt-head will wear through the tube after not too long.

Also would be nice if a parts list was included with the shipment. I didn't realize a longer bracket bolt was included in the shipment. I had to go buy one, then later after I was preparing everything to ship back because of bad fitment did I find the bolt at the bottom of the airfilter box. I had no idea it was in there or included.

I love the concept of this CAI but it really wasn't ready for Prime Time when I bought it. Too, I can't believe I was the 1st customer to run into so many difficulties but it all worked out in the end. Like I said, excellent customer service!

..rickko..

·
Registered
478 Posts
rickko hit it right on the nose. Either the "barbs" align or the bracket, not both. To show this I removed the boot/elbow and the filter and tried to fit it correctly.. It just plain doesn't fit.

I feel like SILA should just pull off the stock black air tube and use it as a reference on where to place the barbs and this issue would be solved.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hey guys wanted to say one thing first, after being in this business for 15 years, the reason I came to work at 500 MADNESS is to promote and grow the community for the FIAT 500 and come up with some cool new things along the way. Being active on here really is a huge help to make that happen and I/we thank you guys so much for all the feedback that we can relay and keep getting products better and better!

With that said, it was feedback from customers on here that made the changes to the SILA intake better and better. The fittings for the stock lines have indeed been moved down the tube farther to be closer to the stock locations, we are looking into testing some thinner boots to make sure they can handle the pressure. It isn't all of them that rub the crash sensor on the headlight, just from time to time. When it does we've been supplying a new boot and a replacement bolt that is rounded, so that it can't cause any wear on the boot.

New intakes should be here by the end of the week and we'll post some new photos up so you guys can see!

and thanks again to everybody!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a broken mounting bracket on mine. any way i can get a replacement (500 abarth pre 2015 Sila short ram)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts