Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive gotten several different answers from fiat/studio, so i thought id ask here.

i just bought a sport w/ the bose system, but sirius xm package was not on it. is it possible to add it or does that involve replacing hardware. the only answer i got from the studio was that for $499 i could add something external. i dont want satellite radio that badly. i had thought the bose radio came with whatever hardware would be needed but i may be wrong.

thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
ive gotten several different answers from fiat/studio, so i thought id ask here.

i just bought a sport w/ the bose system, but sirius xm package was not on it. is it possible to add it or does that involve replacing hardware. the only answer i got from the studio was that for $499 i could add something external. i dont want satellite radio that badly. i had thought the bose radio came with whatever hardware would be needed but i may be wrong.

thanks for any answers.
I know the head units are different from what I remember someone posting.

Check this to see if it answers anything.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/ser...85396&catParentID=7870&scId=7870&oldParentID=

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird, you got a Sport with Bose and no XM, I have a Sport with Bose and it is XM, I assumed all with Bose also included XM, not sure you can add without the costs the studio is mentioning.
yeah, this car had the safety and convenience package not the safety and sound package. the only significant difference is the convenience has the auto climate and the sound has the sirius. i thought all sports had the auto climate, but apparantly not.

im just surprised there is no way to get the sirius in the bose system.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
yeah, this car had the safety and convenience package not the safety and sound package. the only significant difference is the convenience has the auto climate and the sound has the sirius. i thought all sports had the auto climate, but apparantly not. im just surprised there is no way to get the sirius in the bose system.
Although it is rare there have been a few 2012 that have been in accidents, maybe you can locate one and pull the unit? It may prove difficult but worth a shot.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I have a Sport with all factory options, Auto climate, TomTom, Bose with Sirius/XM, and from what i know, the Headunit is not the only difference, the Antenna base is also different. Not sure if there are any internal or wiring difference other than that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2013 Sport with the Alpine System installed, I also would like to swap a radio unit with built in blue tooth and XM Radio with out compromising the audio controls on the steering wheel and the bluetooth function from the steering wheel as well.
The Fiat 500 OEM radios that have the XM built in, what is compatible and non compatible if one of these is swapped with a OEM Radio with XM ?

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
I have a 2013 Sport with the Alpine System installed, I also would like to swap a radio unit with built in blue tooth and XM Radio with out compromising the audio controls on the steering wheel and the bluetooth function from the steering wheel as well.
The Fiat 500 OEM radios that have the XM built in, what is compatible and non compatible if one of these is swapped with a OEM Radio with XM ?
Check the after market sound system manufacture, if they make a adaptor, to work with the Fiat steering wheel controls. I would just keep the OEM head unit, add a amp, and better speakers.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My 500c Abarth was not ordered by the dealer to have sat radio but part of my purchase deal was to have a local sound system swap the headunit for one with the receiver built in; it's not too pricey from what I can tell. Bigger issue in my car was I demanded the stock antenna unit but first go around, they screwed it up and put a standard after market receiver in. Swapped now, you'd never know the car didn't come from the factory that way

I'm sure there are plenty of adapters as well based on a quick google search..

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just finished installing a factory Sirius radio head unit in my Abarth. I wanted to keep everything stock looking in the dash area. Please note, even with a factory unit from a salvage automobile, the instrument cluster must be syncronized to the radio by the dealer or the odometer will flash constantly in sync with the clock. I'm not sure about the people installing aftermarket units but I suspect the same will happen.

On the factory installed units, the antenna base and antenna cables are different on the Sirius radio unit. Theres a separate cable for the sattelite and another for the AM/FM side with special connector on the radio head. I think someone already posted the link for the part numbers, my solution was to purchase a separate magnetic mount antenna since the factory peices are hard to find, additional cost and I don't plan on removing the headliner anytime soon. I purchased a nice small Delphi XM radio antenna on ebay for around $14, you have to use a razor knife to cut a small slit in the plastic connector base on the head since the antenna connector is a slightly larger diameter, then trim just around 1/32" off the top so it engages completely and locks into the base unit. Tested it at this time, got a signal.

The small Delphi magnetic mount antenna is attached on the front center of the roof just above where the rearview mirror is but on the outside of the vehicle (obviously). The antenna wire is then worked into and under the seal that is between the windshield and the body (use plastic tools, don't scratch the paint).

No Beats on this car, it has the Alpine system I added an Infinity BasLink I had installed by a local stereo shop (which I deeply regret) since I've had to completely rewire because of the poor work they did and they charged me $200 for. I'd have made them make it right but once I took a look at the inside of the shop I elected not to return. The only wire I left from their installation is the positive battery cable to the back of the vehicle, everything else was wrong. Did it work? Yeah somewhat, but I was extremely disappointed with the workmanship and cound not get it properly dialed in. One problem was they connected Line Level inputs to the Speaker Level connections. All they had to do was tap into the amp which is less than three feet from the BassLink amp. Instead they chose to go all the way to the head unit wiring making a real mess behind the radio. The owner of the shop did not give any of my instructions to the installer and said he didn't need the installation instructions because "they are professionals". If you want it done right......then you can only complain to yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.