Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a gas-car habit of turning the key off around 4mph as she coasts to a stop! I just saw her do that in my 500e & it slammed itself into park while still going 2mph, which may not sound like much, but it's 3,000 pounds literally stopping instantaneously via a tiny pin going into a moving hole. If you hit your garage wall at 2mph it would cause damage.

I hope someone here knows of someone else abusing a 500e like this, to reassure me that no damage was done to the park mechanism.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've done it a few times on the 500e. The sound isn't pretty but its not that bad.... wouldn't go trying it as a trick to show off.

I'm one of those who cuts the ignition while still rolling into the parking spot but in neutral with a stick shift car not an automatic.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I feel MUCH better now!

"Stick shift" habit may be my friend's excuse, since a 500e feels a bit like a stick with the regen when you take your foot off the accelerator.

MY stickshift habit is to stop in 1st gear, so when I shut it off it's almost like being in "park", so when MY instinct kicks in, 500e's "auto-park" feature serves ME well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does it go into neutral if you push it while rolling? I haven't tried. Guessing no neutral drops on 500e as you can't 'rev' the car in neutral.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only auto-shift is into park.

Revving wouldn't help anyway, since max torque is at zero RPM. It does apply power when both pedals are pressed, so launch mode might be that, followed by sliding your left foot to the left.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept. Do you know if the drive train can take that?

It seems like nobody knows or hasn't figured it out.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the street it will nearly never matter.

Just taking your foot off the brake, & flooring it will get you ahead of nearly any gas car*, Spark or Leaf, & I think even an eGolf.

You'll never beat any Tesla.

It might matter against a Bolt or eKona though. I don't know their 0-30 times.

*If a Porsche or Ferrari gets in launch mode before the green & beats you, so what?! If you needed to use his lane to turn or something, now you can just go behind him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I want to make left turns better. Do you ever do the honda shuffle? Old school USDM Hondas always had open differentials. My Nissans has VLSD which eventually spin both wheels...

With no electric grandmas ..Honda bois used to saw the wheel back and forth so the unequal axles would both bite. Anyone ever tried that? The rack is too big for that but if you wanted to cut a better 60' time for some insane reason...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this the same thing that happens when you open your driver side door while in motion? I did that in a parking lot going a few miles an hour to get to my seat belt and if I remember right it locked up the wheels. Very unsettling and worrying. Was over a year ago and haven't noticed anything. Made no sense. Weird thing is, I'm pretty sure I have done this since and it didn't lock it up.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for re-confirming no apparent harm done.

The manual says it activates when you drop to 2 mph, so maybe when you did it later you were at 2.1 or more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did this as well. I like to open the door when I back up cars in garages and I did it in reverse. It definitely shocks the drivetrain a bit. I have to say mentally I do not like the buttons would really prefer something mechanical attached to the drivetrain.

Also the whole buttress from the center dash area lives where my right knee should be and is completely unnecessary. I have thought about removing that whole plastic.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A) Thanks for re-re-confirming that the auto-park slam seems to do less harm than it looks/feels like.

B) I like the buttons fine. Now when I get in a stick-automatic I initially try to shift by hitting the "R" on the console! Definitely agree they didn't need to waste a full cubic foot for the button mount. It could go on the dash, or the factory could have put it on the steering wheel or maybe a column stalk. "Something mechanical" would only be additional parts to wear/break, connected to switches like we already have, since R, N & D simply switch on & off the power, in the appropriate direction.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seems like you could pull out a bunch of the cheapest plastic ever molded by FCA and extend a few wires and get a whole lot of leg room back for both front passengers.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH! You only need one 1/4" hole in the dash for a DPDT toggle to switch between "D" & "R"! (might be best spring-loaded to a center-off position). We never need the P button (see thread title!), or N button (which just tuns off the accelerator pedal).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Scratching my head here. Why would ANYONE want to turn off the ignition key before the car is completely stopped??? Sure I did in my old '58 Chevy 6 cylinder with manual shift, but that was then, when cars weren't a thousand times more complex with multiple internal systems interdependent, and a computer controlling nearly everything.

Seems to me like people who do this are just asking for trouble. No tears from me if you break something expensive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scratching my head here. Why would ANYONE want to turn off the ignition key before the car is completely stopped??? Sure I did in my old '58 Chevy 6 cylinder with manual shift, but that was then, when cars weren't a thousand times more complex with multiple internal systems interdependent, and a computer controlling nearly everything.

Seems to me like people who do this are just asking for trouble. No tears from me if you break something expensive!
I almost never remember to press P before shutting down and always pull ebrake before getting out. my previous 500 was an Abarth manual. Old habits.
So I’m real careful not to be rolling before i press any button. I even wait for the letter to change on the dash. Lol.
For a good take off just slide foot from a corner of the brake into gas. Tires can never keep up.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
Stupid question but normal cars only have a reverse gear that has only one speed and since the Fiat doesn’t have a transmission and has a governor for 88 mph does this mean I could drive 88 mph in reverse as well? Any tried? Lol

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure I did in my old '58 Chevy 6 cylinder with manual shift, but that was then, when cars weren't a thousand times more complex...
Well SHE did it in her old '65 Mustang with manual shift, & new cars' complexity mostly makes them MORE idiot-proof (not less). She says her thought train was that coasting would regen a bit, not knowing that only works in drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I tried that once on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's not the best idea. It kills the hydraulic steering and braking while the engine is off. It could easily cause an accident if you're on a hill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts