Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Towing also spoils the fun of canyon carving. The little B&B near the nature is where it's at.

·
Registered
965 Posts
A lot of people pull with a Fiat, even seen one picture pulling an original Fiat 500 on a trailer. Europeans pull campers with small cars all the time, much bigger, hard sided ones also. They even have small ones for pulling with a motorcycle. Some people enjoy camping, and just want something small to get off the ground, but still want the basics, and it can be done with a Fiat. I would get trailer brakes to help with stopping if it's possible. I wouldn't do it personally, I have a truck to tow with, but I would never judge someone that does, or call them names, because it is possible and it's their choice....not anyone else's.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
We used to camp in my '71 Super Beetle in national parks for several days at a time.

I wouldn't say it's like the Marriott, but it was as good as any airplane seat.

Just do it! What's the worst that could happen?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Trying to save for a summer road trip in 2016. Sleeping in the car would be wonderful for the budget, but I don't think it's gonna happen. A tent would be great if I could reliably find campgrounds that didn't charge nearly as much as a Motel 6 for a postage stamp of dirt. .... (looking at probably 15-18 days on the road if I manage to do it)...

Preliminary route workup: https://goo.gl/m3s2KI

Hits some famous roads, some not so famous ones, and generally tries to take the scenic route through as many states as possible.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If I had my Outback I'd love a little teardrop. Don't get me wrong, I love back packing, snow camping and the lot but a tear drop is a very cool thing. You can go "anywhere" and better yet you can go places RVs can't get to; and still sleep in a bed, cook on a stove and have beer in the fridge.

·
Registered
965 Posts
If I had my Outback I'd love a little teardrop. Don't get me wrong, I love back packing, snow camping and the lot but a tear drop is a very cool thing. You can go "anywhere" and better yet you can go places RVs can't get to; and still sleep in a bed, cook on a stove and have beer in the fridge.
We thought about going to look at a tear drop earlier this year. Easy to set up, with some of the luxuries of home, but basic enough to feel like (to us) like we're "roughing it". But we've gotten to a point of our life that we prefer doing a weekend get a way spur of the moment thing, and it's easier on us to just pick a spot and find a hotel to go to, then load up to go camping. What got us into a pop-up years ago was years ago when we use to tent camp, it took me a couple of hours to get completely set up....then seeing a couple pull up with a pop-up, and they were set up in like 30 minutes, and the wife was cooking while the husband was off and fishing.
My dad use to call people that used a camper a bunch of <wimps> when I was kid and back packing with him in the Adirondacks. Funny how when they retired, he had a Mazda MPV that he built a bed frame out of sch 80 pvc in the back to elevate a mattress so they could store stuff underneath (which they used when they were trail guides in Yellowstone), and as they got older, graduated to a Dodge Ram X-cab with a camper on the back that hung off with a bathroom, then finally a full sized RV. When I pointed out how he felt about campers back in the day, his reply was "I'm older and have earned it". Now at 88, they just stay in hotels anymore. Everyone has their own style of camping, and sometimes I miss just throwing a tent in the back of the truck and hitting a state park, but I know my back would hate me for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update here: I’m 5’6 small and flexible. I slept three nights in my car traveling across country during Covid. Truly awful. The tent nights were much better. The Fiat and heated seats were nice when it was very high wind or below freezing in the tent. The front seat is like a coach plane seat. I could only fit a tiny tent and my dog in the car with rear seat delete. Sleeping in the back was worse than front (maybe without a dog if can curl in tight ball). $40 motels were the best nights. Worse case strap a tent to the top in a basket... or rent a larger car. I had also built a platform with storage underneath. Remember if you are desert camping you need to fit in water containers somehow. Fiat was an experience. It was very comfy driving across country.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts