Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've heard a few rumblings of this on other forums.. but does anyone else have an issue putting their 5-speed into reverse? I've got the clutch on the floor (with full force!) and still sometimes putting it into reverse I get a little grind noise. Kind of scares me..but Im worried if I tell my dealer they will blame me for any damage.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Take it in, they can't blame you. They would have to prove you did something. From my experiences, it was usually an adjustment on the lever located on the transmissions or on the shifter assembly. If it does it in all gears, it's a clutch adjustment. All easy.

If you're going from forward to reverse and revving a bit without letting the engine spin down, that will do it also.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
since the forward gears all have syncronizers, grinding while engagement usually shows up only when using reverse.
higher than normal idle or trying to engage the gear while the car is rolling will give u a reverse grind, as well as needing clutch adjustment. If clutch engagement starts to happen immediately as the pedal leaves the floorboard then adjustment is probably the culprit.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
since the forward gears all have synchronizers, grinding while engagement usually shows up only when using reverse. higher than normal idle or trying to engage the gear while the car is rolling will give u a reverse grind, as well as needing clutch adjustment. If clutch engagement starts to happen immediately as the pedal leaves the floorboard then adjustment is probably the culprit.
High idle, as in a cold start can be nullified by momentarily shifting into a forward gear with the clutch depressed before attempting to go into reverse. I do it almost unconsciously and have encountered virtually no grunch (gear crunch) when shifting into reverse. I realize you weren't the person encountering the problem....you were just easier to reply to. (smile)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
High idle, as in a cold start can be nullified by momentarily shifting into a forward gear with the clutch depressed before attempting to go into reverse. I do it almost unconsciously and have encountered virtually no grunch (gear crunch) when shifting into reverse. I realize you weren't the person encountering the problem....you were just easier to reply to. (smile)
That's what I used to do, engage forward then get into reverse. I bet this is the issue for her plus the revving.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried putting it in first and then reverse and I don't get the grind as much, but I just backed out of a spot..foot on the floor and got the grind bad. Will be letting my dealer know next week when I go in for service :S

·
Registered
700 Posts
reverse crunch here i just wait a little i can feel if i am going to crunch so i clutch again and im good

the first couple times im like what the then i just realized i had to find the happy spot make her happy lol

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I haven't tried, so I'm curious. Does FIAT have a clutch switch that prevents starter engagement unless the clutch is depressed/disengaged and/or the transmission is in neutral? I unconsciously disengage the clutch before trying to start....too many years of stick shift American cars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't tried, so I'm curious. Does FIAT have a clutch switch that prevents starter engagement unless the clutch is depressed/disengaged and/or the transmission is in neutral? I unconsciously disengage the clutch before trying to start....too many years of stick shift American cars.
Based on my experience, the clutch has to be engaged before the vehicle will start, regardless of whether it's in neutral or not.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
i get that problem quite often. if im backing out of a parking space i shift into reverse before i start that way no noise. doesnt fix the problem but it makes me less self concious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Abarth I test drove had a tag tied to shifter outlining the proper shifting procedure to avoid reverse gear grinding. Basically to do with timing the shift appropriately so as to not shift in while there is any forward motion in the gears. Sounds like it's considered user error.

·
Registered
131 Posts
^ I would agree. Mine grinds when I put the car in reverse too. I've tried to go slower and it seems to work fine. There is a little notch in the middle of moving into reverse that I take a momentary (like less than half a second) pause at. This usually makes it fine. I do agree that it is strange though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Every stick I've ever owned has crunched a bit going into reverse. I generally park it in reverse, so I rarely put it in reverse from a cold start. When I do need to shift in reverse, I usually slide it into a forward gear first.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Back in the day before transmissions had syncros you could tell how adept a driver was by how often you could hear shift grinding. I believe our reverse cogs don't have syncros so we need to learn how to shift without grinding. even when we become adept at shifting we still may hear a little grind now & then. Don't worry, be happy. It identifies us as real Fiat owners

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought my 500 pop last night with 5 speed and my guy Tom said it happens on all of them because the Reverse does not have a synchro. he said make sure 100% stopped and clutch fully engaged to avoid. I have only had it happen once and i was rolling, NBD to me i guess.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts