Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its hard to believe ...but some of us are going to drive these things in the SNOW...and its not far off.

Has anyone thought of a snow tire package or wondered what snow tire they might use?

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp

I've used Nokian Hakkapeliitta's before and they were great.

Any comments out there? I'd like to get the 14" steel wheels that they have in Europe to use if the dealer could get them but i don't know.

Brock

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60's, and love love love love love them .... makes the car lots of fun to drive in the snow! Needless to say, they go on all 4 wheels (as discussed elsewhere on this forum ...) Might try a search for other feedback. :D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My little 500 has Continentals on it. I have the same tire brand and model on another smaller rear wheel drive car. These tire really suck in the snow, on that car. Even new. In fact the Conti's are pretty shot after 3 year, now with 36,000 mile.

Since the 500 is front wheel drive, has anyone driven the Continentals in snow yet on them. How do they handle in snow, without snow tires? They do have a MS rating on them.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My little 500 has Continentals on it. I have the same tire brand and model on another smaller rear wheel drive car. These tire really suck in the snow, on that car. Even new. In fact the Conti's are pretty shot after 3 year, now with 36,000 mile.

Since the 500 is front wheel drive, has anyone driven the Continentals in snow yet on them. How do they handle in snow, without snow tires? They do have a MS rating on them.
i've had them on my GTI, but much wider 235/45, they're ok.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Was at a local tire shop today that a friend manages and had him do some investigating on winter tires to fit the stock sport 16s (195-45-16) and looks like the Pirelli Winter 210 Snowcontrol could be the only option so don't sleep on them if you are interested as once snows are sold out you are usually stuck for the year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Last week I ordered Nokian Hakkapeliitta's. They are shipping to my dealer from tiresbyweb. Dealer ordered stock steel wheels and those 4 pressure sensors were pricy. Looking forward to the snow tho'.

However, if you want snow tires you should move fast. Once they sell out in our size, it may be next season before they are back in stock.

·
Registered
255 Posts
So I'll be ordering my snow tires soon, first full winter with the 500 (I got it in January but it was a very mild winter last year). I got a set of Pop take-off steelies (from a member here, this forum rocks!) so I'm looking for 185/55-15 tires.

My initial opinion was, Italian car, I should get Pirelli Snowcontrols. But I hear from lots of people I should get Nokians (including my Finnish friends, ha!). The Pirellis are fairly easy to get and not too expensive - under $100 each - and it seems like the Nokians are going to be hard to get. How good are the Nokians? I know people swear by them, but are they worth a hassle to get when the Pirellis are easy? And of course there's the Michelin X-Ices too, though at this point I'm thinking either Pirellis or Nokians. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I just installed a set of Hankook Ipikes on my Abarth and we've already seen a decent amount of snow and they work like a charm. I've also used the Nokian Hakkapelattas and I'd say they are about on par for grip. The Hankooks are less expensive I believe so thats why they have my vote

·
Registered
255 Posts
Okay, so my dealer suggested yokohamas that they apparently have in stock. I don't know if they have other choices - it was a voice mail -.but they're expensive, at $122 each before mounting and tax. I have never heard anybody say "get yokohamas" or even "yokohama makes good winter tires". Anybody know anything about them? I plan to inquire about European winter tires but i would like to know if my sense about their recommendation is off base.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

I drove with my stock Contis last winter. I made it through unscathed. Only got stuck once. But I'll definitely need some kind of dedicated winter set-up this season.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Okay, so my dealer suggested yokohamas that they apparently have in stock. I don't know if they have other choices - it was a voice mail -.but they're expensive, at $122 each before mounting and tax. I have never heard anybody say "get yokohamas" or even "yokohama makes good winter tires". Anybody know anything about them? I plan to inquire about European winter tires but i would like to know if my sense about their recommendation is off base.
I don't know about the Yokos but if your area allows studs then just about any good snow tire with studs will be fine. I used to live in northeast california with snow for around 4 months on the ground every year. everyone in the area including the CHP had studs on all fours. driving on ice and snow at 60 mph was normal and safe with the studs. we left them mounted on their own rims in the garage and slung them on at the first sign of snow. back off when it was over. Contrary to puplic opinion, they do not tear up roads, heavey eighteen wheelers tear up asphalt roads in the summer. I know not every area allows them due to ignorance but if yours does, do it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stud are prohibited in Minnesota because they DO, in fact, wear grooves in the pavement. I'm old enough to have seen it when they were permitted. 99% of the time, roads are bare in winter here. On bare pavement, studded tires have significantly less grip.

For talindsay: My wife's car has General Altimax Artic tires (made in Germany), and they were superb last winter. Unfortunately, they weren't available in a size compatible with my Abarth, so I chose Michelin the Xice2 instead. I got them packaged with 4 x 98 wheels from Tire Rack. Ordinarily, I'm a customer of Discount Tire locally, but they have no source of 4 x 98 bolt pattern wheels. I have no objection to using wobble bolts, but frankly decided I liked how Tire Rack's Ciao Vernazzas looked on my Grigio Abarth.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks like Madness is going to be able to get me a set of Michelin X-Ices for less (even with shipping) than I was going to pay for tires that got me less excited locally. So I think I'm in business.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Stud are prohibited in Minnesota because they DO, in fact, wear grooves in the pavement. I'm old enough to have seen it when they were permitted. 99% of the time, roads are bare in winter here. On bare pavement, studded tires have significantly less grip.

For talindsay: My wife's car has General Altimax Artic tires (made in Germany), and they were superb last winter. Unfortunately, they weren't available in a size compatible with my Abarth, so I chose Michelin the Xice2 instead. I got them packaged with 4 x 98 wheels from Tire Rack. Ordinarily, I'm a customer of Discount Tire locally, but they have no source of 4 x 98 bolt pattern wheels. I have no objection to using wobble bolts, but frankly decided I liked how Tire Rack's Ciao Vernazzas looked on my Grigio Abarth.

If you re-read my post you will see that studs I recommend for snow covered roads which I think this thread is about. If your roads only have snow 1% of the time like my roads here in southern calif then a good all season tire should get you through just fine. That is what I run here in Palmdale and I have no problem even though I am close to 69 years old. Nice looking Abarth there

Reactions: hownowcb

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

Looks great! What size are the tires?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts