Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in the drive portion, let’s plan to meet 10:30-11:00 a.m. so we can head out at 11:00. I’ve attached a Google Earth photo of the meeting place. It’s at the intersection of Hawthorne Blvd. and Sepulveda Blvd. I think the NW corner of the parking lot in front of Citibank should be a good place to meet. For those needing to make a pit stop after the journey to get there, Rite Aid has public bathrooms inside. There’s also a 7-11 down the street for anyone needing coffee. For those coming south on the 405, exit Hawthorne Blvd., turn right at the bottom of the ramp, and proceed south to the meeting place (approx. 4 miles). You’ll know you’re very close when you see the Del Amo Fashion Center Mall on your left. For those coming on the 405 north from Orange County, take the Hawthorne Blvd. exit and proceed south. It’s not the shortest route, but it’s the simplest. If you’re coming on the 110 south, exit at Sepulveda Blvd., turn right at the bottom of the ramp, and proceed west to the intersection with Hawthorne Blvd.(approx. 4-6 miles).

The run around Palos Verdes) PV with some stops to take in the views could take 1.5-2 hours. The attached Google Earth photo of PV will give you a rough idea of some of the route and terrain. You head south on Hawthorne Blvd. and start to climb the “hill” as you pass Pacific Coast Highway. It’s a good climb to the top and on a clear day, you can see Catalina and some of the other Channel Islands. You then go down the “hill” with a couple of good turns until you reach the ocean and head east on PV Drive south. That has a pretty stretch of road, some of it winding and some nice views passing through the panoramic Portuguese Bend area. After passing the Donald Trump National Golf Course you turn left onto PV Drive East and go through a series of hairpin/180 degree curves that wind back and forth as you climb the “hill” again to reach a different location at the top of PV where the FAA radar domes are located and there’s a great view of Long Beach, San Pedro, the port of LA, and PV below. As you go back down, there are some places to stop to take in the views. Once you get to the bottom again, you head back west on PV drive. An interesting stop is the Wayfarer’s Chapel. As I recall, it’s non-denominational but it’s kind of interesting architecture… all glass with wood beams. There’s a public restroom for another pit stop, and nice grounds and views there. As you continue west, you pass Hawthorne Blvd. and keep going until you reach Paseo Lunado, where you turn left and head closer to the ocean again. That part is a nice area to cruise along slowly as there are good views of the ocean, cliffs, and the homes of folks at a higher pay grade than mine. After passing that area, you get back on to PV Drive heading into Redondo Beach. There’s one street to enter on that I can’t remember the name before you reach Redondo where you eventually come to a small traffic circle and end up on Esplanade and cruise up north along the beach in Redondo. You can stay on that for a couple more miles. I’ll get further info on that street name I can’t remember as well as directions to the park for lunch.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts