Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned mine off at first because it felt so weird not rolling back on a grade. Just felt too much like an auto. Does it use brakes or what? If so are the brake lights on at the time? Never had a car with this and am curious.

Tim

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I turned mine off at first because it felt so weird not rolling back on a grade. Just felt too much like an auto. Does it use brakes or what? If so are the brake lights on at the time? Never had a car with this and am curious.

Tim
It uses the brakes. It keeps the brakes from releasing for about 2 seconds after you release the brake pedal to allow you to reach throttle and start to engage clutch to prevent rolling back. I really don't know the status of the brake lights during this time.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The brake lights are typically triggered by a switch when you depress the pedal.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have it turned off in mine, but it is a nice feature for beginners. I noticed some odd occasional brake pedal chatter with the system on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have it on in mine, i think its a great feature since i bought this car to learn stick.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have it turned off in mine, but it is a nice feature for beginners. I noticed some odd occasional brake pedal chatter with the system on.
I'll be 66 this year and I learned to drive on a stick before I was 16...I think that classifies me as more advanced than BEGINNER.:) I happen to think the hill assist is very cool. I had to learn to hold a stick, say at a stop sign or traffic signal, on an incline by slipping the clutch without going forward or back...that causes a lot of wear if you live in a hilly area...I didn't.

Just like Trix, Hill Assist isn't JUST for kids!:D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
You're utilizing the "Over the hill" assist.

Reactions: talindsay

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
i leave mine off simply because people like to pull up really close to my rear bumper at lights and the look on their face when they see my car roll backwards is priceless.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I like it, too. I learned early on not to jam the brakes on a hill, though. Just enough to keep the car rolling back, otherwise you try to pull away and wonder why the car isn't moving. hehe. I also like to remind people not to get too close on a hill, and allow the hill assist to "run out" and roll back just a little, to make sure they're paying attention and backing off. This is usually when in line for a stop sign on a hill, before getting to the sign itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts