Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned mine off at first because it felt so weird not rolling back on a grade. Just felt too much like an auto. Does it use brakes or what? If so are the brake lights on at the time? Never had a car with this and am curious.

Tim

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I turned mine off at first because it felt so weird not rolling back on a grade. Just felt too much like an auto. Does it use brakes or what? If so are the brake lights on at the time? Never had a car with this and am curious.

Tim
It uses the brakes. It keeps the brakes from releasing for about 2 seconds after you release the brake pedal to allow you to reach throttle and start to engage clutch to prevent rolling back. I really don't know the status of the brake lights during this time.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The brake lights are typically triggered by a switch when you depress the pedal.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have it turned off in mine, but it is a nice feature for beginners. I noticed some odd occasional brake pedal chatter with the system on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have it on in mine, i think its a great feature since i bought this car to learn stick.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have it turned off in mine, but it is a nice feature for beginners. I noticed some odd occasional brake pedal chatter with the system on.
I'll be 66 this year and I learned to drive on a stick before I was 16...I think that classifies me as more advanced than BEGINNER.:) I happen to think the hill assist is very cool. I had to learn to hold a stick, say at a stop sign or traffic signal, on an incline by slipping the clutch without going forward or back...that causes a lot of wear if you live in a hilly area...I didn't.

Just like Trix, Hill Assist isn't JUST for kids!:D

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I like it, too. I learned early on not to jam the brakes on a hill, though. Just enough to keep the car rolling back, otherwise you try to pull away and wonder why the car isn't moving. hehe. I also like to remind people not to get too close on a hill, and allow the hill assist to "run out" and roll back just a little, to make sure they're paying attention and backing off. This is usually when in line for a stop sign on a hill, before getting to the sign itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.