Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got my wife's gucci 500c from Texas. We live in New Orleans and drove to Houston with friends to pick up the car. I get home today and go to take off the front license plate cover as we only use rear plates in LA and the idiots at the dealership DRILLED THROUGH THE PAINT AND THE FRONT BUMPER with 4 HOLES!!!! I've never seen this before EVER! I've taken front plate covers off before. There are usually brackets and or pre-made holes with caps to cover the holes (like in my S2000 or my S550 benz) Now I'm home and don't think I have much recourse. I'm sure they will tell me it's the law there so they had to do it but I never would have bought it if I had known. Don't wanna go to a body shop on a car I've had 2 days and get a new bumper and I don't want a euro front plate. I like the clean lines of the car. I'm mad at them and at myself. I've bought Cars from Mississippi and no front pate. It wasn't even a thought or consideration at the time. I thought I was saving money. Got $3300 off the car going to TX but it looks like I would have been better off getting it here after all! It'll probably cost me most of my savings to fix it and it won't be factory paint. I'm just beside myself.

Fulmitz

·
Registered
530 Posts
Do they use two plates in North Carolina? We only use 1 in South Carolina.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Do they use two plates in North Carolina? We only use 1 in South Carolina.
If your Abarth is being delivered in N.C. I think it would behoove you to find out and if they do make sure the dealership/studio does NOT drill YOUR front bumper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you get one in TX they pre drill all their cars at this dealership, Sterling-McCall Fiat. STAY AWAY!!! Louisiana only needs the rear plate.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't mean to stoke your fire, but the correct statement is that it "WAS the law in Texas". Our legislature recently amended the particular statute and somehow managed to delete the front license plate requirement in Texas. Sounds like the Corvette owner lobbiests have some friends in the Texas legislature. Do a quick Google. It's been in the news a bit.

Yes, my Fiat has two holes drilled in the front bumper. Thankfully, not four.

Since it's no longer the law in Texas, you may be wondering why the dealer installed two plates. The DMV still issues two plates and, most importantly, law enforcement has publicly stated that they will continue to issue citations for failing to have a front license plate....regardless of the law no longer existing. I think they claimed something about spirit of the law rather than the letter.

Texas = police state

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide Free app.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
In CT I have always had
to make it a known part of the deal that even though by law you need two plates I always make
it a deal breaker if the drill the bumper. Most cars require you to drill the front bumper which to me is a sin.

It's. not a Benz it's a fiat and your not going to get the
luxury of predrilled spots for plates.

Even. my maxima they wanted to drill.

Hard lesson to learn but state what u want or it's no deal

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hindsight is 20/20. I don't live in texas and never paid attention to the front plate. As I said, my last out of state purchase was MS and they have no front plate either. The whole thing bothers the heck out of my. I'm more upset than my wife. I'm starting to resign to getting a fake itallian plate for the front. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
that's prob the route I would take at this point. I found things on my car I missed that I was upset about. some scratches on the interior of the drivers door. which only get worse by the way. Do some google searching and at least get something authentic looking not a cheap copy make
cheaply. some
sites you can choose the numbers etc.

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hindsight is 20/20. I don't live in texas and never paid attention to the front plate. As I said, my last out of state purchase was MS and they have no front plate either. The whole thing bothers the heck out of my. I'm more upset than my wife. I'm starting to resign to getting a fake itallian plate for the front. Any suggestions?
That would certainly seem smarter than paying over $1,000 for a new bumper cover + paint + installation, etc.. To me that would be throwing good money after bad. Do the Italian plate and class it as a learning experience.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Fulmitz, life is too short to worry about two tiny holes. Buy some gromets, use some touch up paint to color match them and plug the holes. Go out, enjoy the car and and don't sweat it. Your car will get some dings and dangs here and there, an occassional scratch and everything else the local parking lot has to offer...lol...its part of life...save your money, buy some after market goodies and have fun.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I see some appear to have misread slightly and mentioned NC, NC does not require front plates but it is New Orleans and not NC in question. I welcome you to the forums and congrats on having the 500 but I am very sorry to hear they have made a mess of your front bumper, I do hope you find a plate that will cover it and offer an acceptable look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, just got my wife's gucci 500c from Texas. We live in New Orleans and drove to Houston with friends to pick up the car. I get home today and go to take off the front license plate cover as we only use rear plates in LA and the idiots at the dealership DRILLED THROUGH THE PAINT AND THE FRONT BUMPER with 4 HOLES!!!! I've never seen this before EVER! I've taken front plate covers off before. There are usually brackets and or pre-made holes with caps to cover the holes (like in my S2000 or my S550 benz) Now I'm home and don't think I have much recourse. I'm sure they will tell me it's the law there so they had to do it but I never would have bought it if I had known. Don't wanna go to a body shop on a car I've had 2 days and get a new bumper and I don't want a euro front plate. I like the clean lines of the car. I'm mad at them and at myself. I've bought Cars from Mississippi and no front pate. It wasn't even a thought or consideration at the time. I thought I was saving money. Got $3300 off the car going to TX but it looks like I would have been better off getting it here after all! It'll probably cost me most of my savings to fix it and it won't be factory paint. I'm just beside myself.

Fulmitz
I feel your pain... I live in California and have already told my studio not to drill the bumper for the extra plate. I'll probably go with 500 Madness's retractable plate holder. You should check the bumper plug site for color-coded bumper buttons. Cheaper than a new bumper. I have no affiliation with this company.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/products.html

1 - 20 of 29 Posts