Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Happy new year to all.

Our 2015 Fiat Lounge has 82,000 kms on it. We bought it last summer. It is in very good shape and running great. It seems to have been quite well maintained. We want to keep it for a long time. We will use it as a summer only car. It will be kept in a heated garage each winter.

I have have it sprayed with rustproofing. Winter storage will consist of filling with premium non-ethanol fuel, adding fuel stabilizer and filling tire to proper pressure. I will also start it every 2 weeks and bring it up to operating temperature to maintain oil pressure in brick.

I know the spark plugs were changed at around 65,000 and I have confirmed no leaks under PVC valve housing.

I reviewed all the maintenance history and have not found any record of the following being done. Here is want I plan to get done on the car in the spring.
  • Oil and filter change. Synthetic oil.
  • Have Automatic transmission fluid changed. I was just going to get them to just do a drain and fill. Not a transmission flush. I know that will not change all the fluid. I am worried that doing a true flush may do more harm than good.
  • Have coolant system flushed.
  • Have brake fluid flushed.
  • Clean or change the Multi air filter on side of engine (Behind timing belt cover)

Any advice, comments or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
202 Posts
@Slow_Lane

Just sayin' - the video you posted about changing the multi-air filter is on a TURBO equipped 500.

On the turbo engine (Turbo, Abarth), it's about a 15 minute procedure.

The procedure is much more involved on a non-turbo engine (POP, Sport).

Follow the link BELOW; You will need to join the other forum in order to see the large/hi-rez photos

LINK: 1.4 N/A Timing Cover VS Multi-Air Filter

Hope that helps to save you a headache - Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am quite surprised at the Spark Plug change interval being 30,000. Very short. I check service records and see mine were done at 67,000 kms. So I have another 15,000kms to go.

According to the manual the timing belt interval is 240,000kms or 15 years. This is really surprising. So I have a long way to go on that one.

I chenge the Engine and Cabin air filter shortly after buying the car. Front brakes were just done and back brakes inspected and deemed to have lots of wear left.

With the regards to the info from Fast Dave on the multi air filter. I had researched this before and remember the need to disconnect engine mounts and other challenging stuff. This video made it look easy. I did not realize it did not apply to my car. Pretty unusual for a non-turbocharged car to be harder to work on than a turbocharged one. I will not be attempting this job myself.

Do forum members think a drain and fill for tranny oil is the way to go or should I go for a flush????

· Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
202 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I am quite surprised at the Spark Plug change interval being 30,000. Very short.
Your 1.4 liter non-turbo engine compression ratio is 10.8 to 1!

That is very high and is why there is a short spark plug interval, as well as a premium fuel recommendation.

Essentially, your 1.4 liter engine is giving you more power with less liters...

4 Plugs every 30,000 miles and Premium fuel every fill-up is cheap, while 500 Engines and their swap out labor is very expensive...

The engineers that designed the engine recommend the spark plug service interval & premium grade of fuel for peak performance and engine longevity.

According to the manual the timing belt interval is 240,000kms or 15 years. This is really surprising. So I have a long way to go on that one.
It's a modern, very high quality Kevlar reinforced timing belt.
I've yet to read of one failing - even over 150,000 miles.
Your mileage may vary ;)

Do forum members think a drain and fill for tranny oil is the way to go or should I go for a flush????
Drain & Fill
Use only MOPAR Genuine Fluid.
Fluid is cheap compared to transaxles. :cool:

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year & Good Luck!

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone.

I am getting cold feet.

Because changing the multi-air filter on a non-turbo Fiat 500 engine is quite a pain in the $#&%. IE: Jacking up engine and removing engine mount. I am starting to wonder if I will even bother doing this. I have a really good mechanic but he is not an expert on Fiat 500's. I could see this costing a few $$$$.

From what I have read the need to change / clean this depends greatly on how frequently oil changes were done. I bought the 2015 Lounge with 80,000kms. I do not have a fully complete mtce history of the car but it seems very well maintained.

I am not sure when Fiat recommends this be done or if they even recommend it at all.

I suspect very few owners ever touch this thing.

Looking for advice on whether I should bite the bullet and do it or not.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Fiat makes no say but some enthusiastic owners do it anyway. I change oil regularly and use full synthetic. No issues. 85,000 miles.

Reactions: smark

· Registered
43 Posts
I changed the engine mount on the passenger side while doing the multiair oil filter. My car is a 2014 Abarth and had 43,000 miles on it. The mount was indeed a bit too worn. Age and mileage are not rubbers friend. The multi air filter did have some junk on it.

· Registered
14,435 Posts
If you’re going to store your car, for a long period of time. Hook the
battery to a tickle charger. Be sure to start the engine every couple weeks.
The oil will drain out of the valve train brick. Making the car difficult to start.
Know issue on the Muti air engines. Add some fuel stabilizer to the gas tank too.
‘Keep your tires aired up too. You don’t want to have flat spots, next springtime.

We built a brand new home a couple years ago. Large 3 car garage. The 500
is in storage in one side of the garage. Found mouse dropping on one the seats.
Bought an electronic mouse Deterrent. Mice look for a warm place to settle
in the winter. A must if your going to store a car!

I’m Very aware of torn engine mounts.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive design Gas

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Smark doing everything you have advised for storage including the regular starts.

No evidence on mice in 15 years living here storing a car. So not too concerned.

I have taken note of the engine mount issue. Will be on the look out for that problem.

Can I ask if you have every changed you muti-air filter located by the timing belt????

· Registered
157 Posts
I’ll throw in with a vote for “change fluid” but don’t flush it. You’re still getting new fluid in there, and mitigating the risk of inadvertently pushing gunk into places it could cause problems.

· Registered
14,435 Posts
Hi Smark doing everything you have advised for storage including the regular starts.

No evidence on mice in 15 years living here storing a car. So not too concerned.

I have taken note of the engine mount issue. Will be on the look out for that problem.

Can I ask if you have every changed you muti-air filter located by the timing belt????
I’ve changed the timing belts on my Honda vehicles. Never on the 500. I would
be surprise, if it was anything different. Not up to the milage to preform.
I’m up to the age of the belt. Going on 12 years. It might be a good idea for me.
Cheaper to install a new one, then replace the engine.

Timing belts, water pump, and idlers

Here’s a list of coolant antifreeze brands to use…..

Brake fluids….

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Smark thanks for info.

Still wondering if you ever changed the small mulit air filter located in side of engine behind timing belt housing. It is small metal thing with a screen to filter oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts