Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so maybe others know about this, but I always wondered if the a/c was on when using the automatic climate control even though the a/c light was not lit. Well, if one pushes the act button twice, the a/c button lights up. This situation is not in the owners manual. I bought "Oliver" in November and so have not had the need for cooling breezes. Maybe this was the problem with the California dude who was heating up under the sun. p.s. new avitar, (up graded from the kids toy chest) and new bio pic. (Guess where?)

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I haven't used mine for anything but heat really and I don't use the auto setting, at least I haven't, but I would think it would be on when pressing Auto, the light not on perhaps is due to the system using the Auto (set) temp and adjusts itself, if however you manually wish the AC then it lights up cause you specifically chose to run it, so yeah, that's my thought on the subject.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always use the auto. It seems to distribute the airflow the best. Just adjust the temp a few degrees up or down and your all set. I know, I know, I used to be a manual sort of person myself, but really, don't be afraid, try it and you'll have more time to text and drink coffee. When it starts to get warmer, just push the button one more time and you'll get the a/c going.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
I use the auto setting with the AC last summer. The heat I adjust manuel. When I using the heat with the auto on, I was wondering if the AC is running too. Or does it shut of a a certain heat temp setting.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is a big thing for me as well. I have yet to use my auto climate function simply because I do not want my a/c compressor running for no reason while heating the car in cold weather. Lord knows I don't need any needless power robbing accessories running! My 325i was cut and dry - the Fiat not so much. Seems to be a great deal of grey area regarding the auto a/c and the compressor running or not during colder temps.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this is my point as I also don't want the a/c running when it's 22 degrees out side, like my wife's Honda Pilot. I believe the a/c is NOT on when running auto and the a/c light is not on. Push the auto button twice and the a/c button is now on. Again, something you learn about the car that is not clearly explained in the manual. I have had the car for 4 months before discovering this. p.s. I also owned a fiat x19, 1976, AND I changed the fuel pump and the master brake cylinder among much other things. (Which was located behind the glove box, by the way.)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Most modern vehicles automatically run the A/C compressor when using the defrost function, to keep the compressor seals lubricated as well as to dehumidify the air, UNLESS the temperature is below 32 degrees F, then the compressor stays off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more thing, as the sun came out and the interior warmed up, (auto temp set at 70) the air flow changed from the floor to the upper vents for cooling. Kinda cool that it does that on its own.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
One more thing, as the sun came out and the interior warmed up, (auto temp set at 70) the air flow changed from the floor to the upper vents for cooling. Kinda cool that it does that on its own.
Now that I haven't observed as of yet so indeed, that is pretty cool. I know the one thing that kinda freaked me out was hitting defrost the fans went to insane blowing mode...some serious air being moved with some serious noise to go along with it!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the manual says 12 fan speeds. The mini had 4.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My understanding is that 'auto' will have the A/C on if cooling is needed. Even in my sport without the ATC, the A/C is running if the airflow dial is set to defrost or the heat/ defrost combo. And the A/C light is not on. This bugs me a bit, as it would be completely logical that one would keep the distribution dial to the defrost/ heat setting all the time, and of course, the A/C compressor would be running all the time, along with the cooling fan. Extra engine load, reduced fuel economy and wear on the compressor.

Not that the Fiat is the only car that does this, but it still bugs me.

I would assume that 'auto' means that the A/C will kick in, even if the lights don't let you in on the secret.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Not that the Fiat is the only car that does this, but it still bugs me.
Not near as much as having to replace the shaft seal on the A/C compressor because it dried out and failed due to non-use during the winter months.

·
Registered
196 Posts
And the idea is that the AC is helping remove moisture from the air so defrost goes quicker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts