Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to hear about your power company and how it stacks up to me and others.
Where do you live?
Who is your power company?
How much do you pay per kWh?
What power plan do you use?
Do you mostly charge at home or away?
Do you have a L2 charger installed or just use L1?

For me.
Torrance CA
Southern California Edison
On the tier plan. Tier 1 is .08 cents a kWh and Tier 2 is .14 cents a kWh.
I charge mostly away from home using free chargers. The Del Amo mall has a lot of free chargers. I sometimes go work at the Lomita Library (work from home normally) and charge there for a couple hours. Harbor UCLA hospital also has a bunch of chargers but those are for employees/visitors only so I only use those on the weekends.
Just have L1 at home and will charge up overnight if I have a meeting the next morning. A good chunk of my customers have free chargers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Irvine, CA
SoCal Edison
Plan: TOU-D-A (Time of use)
Peak: $0.28/kWh Super off-peak: $0.14/kWh (10pm-8am).
I charge at home starting at 10pm until full. After I get to work in the morning in Manhattan Beach I charge again to full using the Chargepoint station at work ($0.14/kWh). Each charge at work is between 11 and 13 kWh so I'm guessing it takes the same amount to charge at home nightly. That puts me at around 25 kWh daily, or around $3.5/day. My monthly cost of charging is around $30 for the chargepoint and around $35-50 at home. I also have solar, but won't factor that in since my wife also drives an EV. I might switch to the EV plan with SCE, but I have to crunch the numbers to see if it'll save me anything. Off peak is only $0.13/kWh, but it's something like $0.38/kWh between 4pm-9pm daily.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hutchinson, MN
Hutchinson Utilities
$0.10/kWh 24/7
Straight rate. No plans available. I spoke to an employee at the utility a couple weeks ago and they are considering possibly offering off-peak charging rates in the future.
Charge at home, always.
I was using the Fiat OEM charger at 240V. However Hutchinson Utilities as of Jan 1, 2020 is offering a $500 rebate on Chargepoint home chargers (L2). So I just bought one and installed it last week.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Springfield OR had a 2 tier rate until last year, when it was decided it was unfair to charge heavy users more.

Now it's 5.75 cents per kWh. There was free charging at a few locations, but most charge 10 times the home rate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Where do you live? Dallas, TX
Who is your power company? TXU
How much do you pay per kWh? $0.15 per kwh during the day or $0.01 per kwh at night(8pm-5am)
What power plan do you use? Wind and Solar with "free" nights
Do you mostly charge at home or away? 95% at home
Do you have a L2 charger installed or just use L1? Two 40a L2 OPENEVSE chargers

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
San Pedro, CA
LADWP (Los Angeles Dept. of Water & Power)
$0.00*/kWh + all taxes & fees = $0.32/kWh (same as local ChargePoint plugs)
*Apparently my 56kWh/month is less than their minimum.
"Green LA" renewable plan
Charge about half-&-half home-&-away
Just L1 at home, & that's really all I need (adds 40 miles in 8 hours of sleep)

There are now 17 free public L2 chargers on my normal 17-mile route, where I often stop & go online on my phone while I wait. At least 10 of them have free 120V wall outlets, where I sometimes plug in to gain a bit while I wait for someone to unplug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
San Diego SDGE EV TOU-5 plan about as convoluted as something can be. Paying $16/month fee gives us 9 cent per kWh “super off-peak” between 12-6am, 12a-2pm Sat & Sun, (an extra small window March/April) Great for charging the car, laptops, phones or practically any battery storage device.

Other TOU plans range between 25-31 cents/kWh. Some peak pricing windows during the summer can reach 55 cents/kWh. Ouch. A peak shave home battery bank could be an attractive asset.

Honestly, all the pricing plans make my eyes glaze over. Electricity cost including taxes divided by kWh consumed seems to cut to the chase. For example our Dec electricity totaled about $140 for 635kWh or 22 cents/kWh including taxes, delivery, etc.

Speaking of TOU plans here's something I found that's been incredibly useful to provide timer functions, remote control and power usage information:

TOPGREENER Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring, 15A, 1800W

Sort of a Kill-A-Watt meter with WiFi connectivity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Where do you live? Gresham, Oregon
Who is your power company? Portland General Electric
How much do you pay per kWh? After all power transport fees: between $0.12 and $0.15 per kWh
What power plan do you use? Standard billing (not time-of-use) plus the Renewable Power package. (Also have solar & a Powerwall 2, but have not yet worked out how the cost adjusts the overall cost of charging the car, but I will be tracking this year, so I may be able to report back later.)
Do you mostly charge at home or away? Splitting charging around 60/40 between home and a city-sponsored charger near where I work.
Do you have a L2 charger installed or just use L1? Just using the Fiat EVSE with a 15A plug at home (L1).

From what I have tracked so far (bought the 2016 500e at the end of June, been tracking charging in a Google Sheet since September), I am spending around $20 to $26 per month on home charging, getting around 20-40 kWh from the city per week to adjust what charging I need to do at home.

I'm definitely looking forward to the spring through fall months, when I can charge completely every weekend on solar only, so I'm not incurring any additional cost over the monthly for the PV + battery system to drive the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 with 57,000+
Where do you live? Dallas, TX
Who is your power company? Chariot Energy
How much do you pay per kWh? 8.8/kWh
What power plan do you use? Cheapest
Do you mostly charge at home or away? Home exclusively
Do you have a L2 charger installed or just use L1? OEM L1 on 240V

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is that power meter display on the wall? Did you install it yourself, and what is it connected to?

I installed it when I ran the wires tor the outlet. I was extremely easy since the CB panel is less than a foot away from the outlet I installed. I lucked out, the builder had the house wired for a 240v cooktop. It was an unused 40amp double breaker because ours cooktop uses natural gas. I reset the usage every month. I average around 500 miles per month for the tune of about $14.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts