Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was looking at my car and it has none of the following...

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">Spare tire <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">Jack
  • Fix a Flat kit ( air compressor etc)

It has none of these. The strap is under the driver seat but there is no kit there.

Where would the air compressor kit be found? Since it does not mention its location in the manual. I would imagine its supposed to be in the trunk? Under the mat? Its not there either

Maybe someone forgot?!?

OR maybe I am not supposed to have any of the above- which to me seems strange. My Mini has run flats on it with air compressor since it doesn’t have a spare. I am thinking that the FIAT should have something similar.

Brock

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I plan to use the following tools if I get a flat tire:

1. Cell phone.
  2. AAA membership.
I don't see any rational alternative. I can't imagine driving any significant distance with a bunch of goopy glue sloshing around inside my tire, unless I happen to be crossing the Mojave desert.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine is there under the seat, its a Sport

I don't think it was an option, I would go back to the dealer, I know the spare tire is an option but you should have the fix-a-kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just picked up 2012 Rosso Pop. Had the Aircompressor / Fix-A-Flat kit under the driver seat.

I really want the Spare Tire kit. Just assume change my own tire. Has anyone looked into purchasing this option, and where does the Spare tire get stored?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yes, the TIREFIT kit should be under the driver's seat. If you don't have one, they forgot it.

At first, I was a little put-off by not having the spare, but now I think I'm ok with it. I think I'd rather put the goopy-goop in there (assuming it's just a puncture) than change a tire. I'm not lazy, but I'm getting to bleeping old to be rolling around on the ground changing tires.

If it's a complete blow-out, I'll call Fiat Roadside Assistance and AAA and see who gets there first. :)

Ryan

·
Registered
12,616 Posts
Longbranch, its a $100.00 option, from the factory the spare tire, and jack. Look at your window sticker, see what the car was equipped with. The spare can only come from the factory, I was told. It has a screw down mechanism. That drops down like a suv, mini van spare. It would cost more the 100 bills to get all those parts. I look at every car on the lot, to find a spare equipped, and the color car I wanted.

·
Registered
819 Posts
For those who didn't order a spare, but now want one, Mopar now has a retrofit kit available. I'm working with a dealer now to get a price.

·
Registered
12,616 Posts
The handle that makes the jack raise, is very sharp at the end of it. Its for prying off the center lug nut cover cap. Screw driver looking end. Try jacking the car up, yesterday, just to play around. Cut the inside of my hand. Learned from that.

I bet it cost a couple hundred dollar, if not more, to order all the parts for the a spare tire. Tire, and wheel, crack assemble that holds the tire in place, jack,tools, jack cover.
But in you have a flat, out in the middle of no where. Its worth it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There are a lot of cars with no spares these days, can suck but really depends where you get stuck and what the options are. I usually own multiple sets of wheels so I would probably get someone to take me to get one if I had a puncture.

One important thing to note is that the flat repair goo generally ruins the tire, as it will permanently coat the inside thus impacting the balance, weight for ever so if you use it to get you somewhere you will need to replace the tire. I had an experience with an Audi R8 and I got a puncture in a small town on a Sunday evening about 140kms from home. I had to use the goo and drive home at a reasonable speed (was painful) next day at the dealer had to replace the nice wide rear tire on the car and was $88 for a new bottle of goo to put back in the car as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just picked up my Spare Tire kit today. $275 for the part #82212995 includes tire, mounting hardware, jack, etc. Looks fairly easy to install and will tackle that soon.
Installed the Spare Tire Kit this morning. Very Easy and Straight forward. 45 minutes tops from start to finish. Kit has everything you need and the instructions are well laid out.

I also was able to fit both the existing air-compressor / sealant kit AND the Jack & lug wrench under the drivers seat with the existing locking strap. Now I have both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds great, what did installation involve? Thanks.
10 13mm Bolts, One 13mm nut, removal of metal tape covering pre-existing bolt holes under the Fiat. That's it. Doesnt get much easier than that.

Under the rear floor panel, you can lift it and see where the drop down access hole is located. Right rear of hatch area floor panel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts