Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

2017 Abarth 17" wheels.

I doubt I am the first one to mention this, but here goes.

I really want a spare tire of some kind on my car as I have started driving it on longer trips and well what can I say. The air inflator under the seat is not very comforting.

I have considered the following.

1.) Getting a 17" fiat wheel and tire & carrying it in the back. (not sure if it will fit back there) This would be ideal as I could change out a flat, and fix the flat whenever I got around to it. However I would lose the little space I have back there as I also have the beats subwoofer.

2.) Same as 1 only using a donut spare.

3.) Putting a donut under the car and installing the cable. The exhaust is of course in the way. I took it to an exhaust shop and they told me it could be possible to redo the exhaust to accommodate the donut. Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Unfortunately most new cars, regardless of brand, have no spare tire. In some makes, you can purchase one as an option but they are expensive. I am with you, I would absolutely prefer a spare tire. What I did was purchase a wheel and tire from another Abarth owner who replaced his wheels and tires and carry on longer trips just in case. Trying to mount the spare underneath is more trouble than it is worth in my opinion, especially as such will require as you correctly state, modifying the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hello...

3.) Putting a donut under the car and installing the cable. The exhaust is of course in the way. I took it to an exhaust shop and they told me it could be possible to redo the exhaust to accommodate the donut. Anyone tried this?
There was I think, someone on the other forum who did exactly this.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My Turbo has the Abarth dual exhaust. Was given an older Sport/Pop spare tire kit but the tire wouldn't fit under the car with the dual tips. Probably would have if I kept the original turbo single exhaust. In my old Abarth I used to carry a spare 17 with me in the back. For my current Turbo I kept the small donut from the spare tire kit and then if I get a flat I'll just throw that on the rear and move the larger wheel to front (if the flat was in the front).

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
Really not sure, how they be able to reroute the Abarth exhaust. The spare under my car. It would fit, clear the roto diameter of the Abarth’s.

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
You could buy a space savor spare. Place it in the cargo area. You’ll need a scissors jack and lug wrench too. If you have a front tire flat. Just do a rear to front switch a roo, like mentioned above. Use the space savor on the rear.

Personally, I just get a tire plug kit, for emergencies.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Really not sure, how they be able to reroute the Abarth exhaust. The spare under my car. It would fit, clear the roto diameter of the Abarth’s.
Reroute, as in removing dual split pipe and replace it with single tip exhaust, that's what.

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
The Abarth is all about the dual exhaust. Would look really silly, leaving the right side exhaust diffuser blank. It would need the turbos diffuser.

I’ve own my 500, for 7 1/2 years now. I have a spare tire on my car. It’s never seen the ground ever. Same with my other cars, over the years.

4 years ago. I Had a screw, in the 500’s front tire. Pulled it out. Put a plug in the tire.

I also have road side assistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before you spend a bunch of money at the exhaust shop make sure the temp. spare will actually work, they don't on my wife's Abarth w/ 16" wheels. On the front the brake caliper hits and on the back the lower mount for the anti-sway bar rubs and acts like a friction brake against the rim. I'm speaking from actual experience. Our solution... looking for a good used rim from a yard now to solve this and it'll have to go in the trunk i imagine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before you spend a bunch of money at the exhaust shop make sure the temp. spare will actually work, they don't on my wife's Abarth w/ 16" wheels. On the front the brake caliper hits and on the back the lower mount for the anti-sway bar rubs and acts like a friction brake against the rim. I'm speaking from actual experience. Our solution... looking for a good used rim from a yard now to solve this and it'll have to go in the trunk i imagine.
Thanks for this it just hit me that donut spare probably won't fit.

I have a 13 pop and have used the donut spare twice. Once it went flat near Walmart I was able to creep over to the tire department, and they ordered me some new tires. My tires were not great. I left with the donut on. A second time it went flat on the interstate. I picked up a screw in one of the new tires. I started carrying a tire with me in the back too because of the odd size nobody ever has them in stock.

I am going to try and find a 17" abarth wheel like I have, and keep it in the back. I seen them on ebay the hyperblack ones, but they are not cheap. (475$ for one) Maybe I can find a used one somewhere.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I think you need a 5mm spacer to clear the anti-sway bar mount. I don't know what you need for the front, though I know some 15" wheel does fit with proper offset to clear the caliper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently purchased a 2015 Abarth I was concerned about not having a spare,the factory kit with the little compressor was missing, which is fine for small nails and screws but what if you have a blowout So I started looking on ebay did find a 17" wheel that matches mine the only problem it had a large dent in it on the inside I gambled and purchased it. $125.00 such a deal .Now when I take a long trip that will be one less thing to worry about. (the dent did not hurt it.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts