Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I dropped my Pop Manual off for some minor issues.

They gave me a Sport Auto as a loaner.

WORST transmission ever. The tranny hangs shifts hard and erratic.

Why would anyone want to drive this POS?

Hurry up and get my car fixed! I hate this car!!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Last night I dropped my Pop Manual off for some minor issues.

They gave me a Sport Auto as a loaner.

WORST transmission ever. The tranny hangs shifts hard and erratic.

Why would anyone want to drive this POS?

Hurry up and get my car fixed! I hate this car!!
new....either no or low miles? mine was that way somewhat when I first got it but now......with over 3K on it, smooth as silk and I'm very glad I got the auto over the manual. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car has 4600 miles on it. I think its broken in. Lack of power is another issue.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Anyone who drives either of these cars for the power aspect is going to be sad.

My auto is A-ok. I'd prefer the manual for the fuel savings...but from a power standpoint...come on! It's 100hp! That's like bragging that your 5 year old is the fastest runner in his class. He'll still get lapped by an 8 year old.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a significant drop off in power between the manual and auto. I'm not looking to drag race. Just merge onto the highway. Today was scary!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
The standard felt slower to me after the car gets rolling and gear spacing felt better in the auto. I usually prefer standard and I have driven standards for 45 years. Also my auto has gotten smoother with miles. It may be learning driving styles or breaking in....don't know but the only manual advantage I saw was maybe being able to rev from a dead stop and drop the clutch. I would love to see a comparison of rolling acceleration between a standard and auto. Neither is going to blow the doors off the other I bet though.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
I like the 5 speed, it was really fun to drive. Too much stop and go on the highway for me in a manual transmission. Went with the 6 speed automatic. Shifts smooth as butter. No issue with mine. Good passing power on the highway for a car with 101 hp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Funny thing, I just watched the Motorweek test of the 500C (lounge=auto) 9.8 0 to 60. They even mention with the auto they did not experience the drop in power they exerienced with the manual. Samething I felt.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I hated the sport mode in my auto when I first got it. In normal traffic it would go up and down gears to make me think it was whack. It only liked pedal down. That too has smoothed out with miles, but I only shift myself when in sport...which is rare, don't really need it Dallas traffic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Guys: Drive which ever one you like, manual or automatic, and stop knocking the other. Every car forum I have been on has the same old argument and it does get "OLD" after a while so enjoy the one you drive and leave the other one alone.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hey Guys: Drive which ever one you like, manual or automatic, and stop knocking the other. Every car forum I have been on has the same old argument and it does get "OLD" after a while so enjoy the one you drive and leave the other one alone.
What He Said

·
Registered
207 Posts
"There is a significant drop off in power between the manual and auto"...I think this statement made some of us auto drivers wonder what is wrong with the car. I didn't see anybody knocking standards or automatics or who drives them.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Sport with auto tranny and I mentioned odd shifting from this car compared to what I am used to, almost 2K on the car now I think it is and it is still odd but now I am used to it a bit more, didn't test out the manual and don't care about the difference between them, just as long as mine is working properly which from the sounds of it from others it is...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sport with auto tranny and I mentioned odd shifting from this car compared to what I am used to, almost 2K on the car now I think it is and it is still odd but now I am used to it a bit more, didn't test out the manual and don't care about the difference between them, just as long as mine is working properly which from the sounds of it from others it is...
I wanted a manual, but I test drove both and I noticed what you're talking about.

Do you shift it much manually using the whatever it's called?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I wanted a manual, but I test drove both and I noticed what you're talking about.

Do you shift it much manually using the whatever it's called?

I tried it a few times and without a clutch it seems so foreign to me I actually dislike it somewhat, so no I don't bother often at all. It is hard to describe properly but I am glad others experience it, thought at first I had a problem with the car. Do you shift often or just put it in D and go?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I tried it a few times and without a clutch it seems so foreign to me I actually dislike it somewhat, so no I don't bother often at all. It is hard to describe properly but I am glad others experience it, thought at first I had a problem with the car. Do you shift often or just put it in D and go?
I actually wanted/preferred (ordered a custom) a manual, but I test drove the automatic on an extensive drive (since they had a lot full and wanted to give it a fair shake since I could have drove one home that day)
and I noticed it was kind of peculiar as it didn't seem to have a consistent automatic shifting pattern which I thought was kind of odd. Then again it could have been that it hadn't been broken in and had something like
30 miles I think on it.

Nothing wrong with an automatic, it just wasn't for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts