Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the split driver's mirror... how do you like it? My only real disappointment is the huge blind spot over my left shoulder.

The dealer says he can swap in a split mirror for me (for a fee), so I was curious how well you all think it works.

Thanks

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that something you can explain further - I assumed it works like any blind spot mirror. What's the trick?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I get what he means, i took me some time to get the habit of using it "figuring out how to use it". But now i wish it had it on both sides really.

The only 2 negative points i can make with respect to these mirrors is that objects appear MUCH further than they really are, and that I find it "works" better at night.

Basically if you have someone in your blind spot it'll appear in the tiny split section of the mirror,

Over all though i'd say it's great, don't see how the car would be drivable without it though, like seeing if there's anyone in your drivers side blind spot.

Hope this helps, btw how much are they charging you for the split mirror as an upgrade? (if you don't mind my asking)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the explanation. The dealer is offering to install the split glass for $100.

Ryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to eliminate the blind spot

You do not necessarily need Blind Spot Mirrors to eliminate the blind spot. It is possible to adjust your mirrors so there is not a blind spot. I have the mirrors on my Fait 500 adjusted so that I do not have a blind spot. Here is a link to article "How to eliminate your car’s dreaded ‘blind spot’". :)

http://www.wheels.ca/Columns/article/795633

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
104 - ok, I set this up and so far, I'm impressed. First, cars behind me, regardless of lane, appear in my rear-view mirror. Then there's a short overlap as a car overtakes me, right or left side - it'll appear in both my rear-view and my side mirror. Perfect. Then, as it leaves my side mirror, it'll start to appear in my peripheral vision, with a little overlap. There's no way for me to lose it.

In other words, no blind spot. Thanks, I think you just saved me $100.

Ryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm happy to read the endorsements of the split mirror. I test drove a Sport and noticed the mirror but it seemed really odd at the time. I just guessed that it had a bit of a learning curve to it since it has to be an improvement over the status quo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since I drive several different shop vehicles regularly its still something I have to relearn every time. It gets better each time I drive the 500 and I'm glad it has the split mirror.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Since I drive several different shop vehicles regularly its still something I have to relearn every time. It gets better each time I drive the 500 and I'm glad it has the split mirror.
Hey Dave is the blind spot as bad as a first gen neon?,

Btw, Currently running the new style mpx projector headlights on my 05 srt acr, they are working out pretty good so far. Glad to know you guys will be supporting the 500 when I hopefully get my Abarth in The next year or so.

Hoping it will be as quick as a stock srt-4 with the weight advantage but better handling, sick of the 53' turning radius, lol.

In case you guys dont know modern is one of the best shops in the bizz for us neon srt folks,, cant wait to see what goodies will be offered for the 500 since it seems like a bunch of us will be jumping ship once the abarth hits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts