Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the sport slightly lower than the pop/lounge? I know it has a sportier suspension but I figured that just meant more agressively valved shocks, firmer springs, and thicker antisway bars. Or are the 16s what make it look lower since it's seems to fill the wheel well a little more?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If the sport is lower it's only slightly, the main difference is like you said, a firmer ride. The sport still needs to be lowered to get that go Kart type ride that the mini has. Also with the sport you get side skirts, sportier front and rear bumpers, spoiler, painted brake calipers and the nicer 16" wheels

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do not like the exterior treatment of the Lounge / Pop at all - it looks basic and cheap (IMHO, of course). The sport looks nicer to me. It's not lower at all, trust me, if the Lounge or Pop are any taller, they'd be SUVs.

One thing I like about the Lounge / Pop is that they have 15" wheels. I *think* the 500 looks far better with 15"... and lowered.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's an optical illusion due to the shorter sidewalls of the tires on the Sport.

Unless you have to have the roof in the Lounge, I see no reason to get anything other than the Sport.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I do not like the exterior treatment of the Lounge / Pop at all - it looks basic and cheap (IMHO, of course). .

to each their own. to me, i abhor the whole idea of gluing plastic pieces to the sides of cars. it reminds me of something teens do to their civics.

i also didnt find the sport model much "sportier" than the pop model. it 90% of my driving applications, the pop gives the better ride for sure.

i have always found it a little humorous that manufacturers designate a "sport" model, add more weight at the wheels and more weight in the form of spoilers and side skirts, dont add any horsepower, thus making the "sport" model technically slower than the base model.

i get that some find that model more sporty looking, i just feel like for $2,000 extra, some real sport should be added.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sport doesn't come in a cabrio. my wife really wanted to the cabrio. The differences between the pop and lounge were lost on me because I didn't want leather, and didn't care about heated seats/stereo or any of the other stuff the lounge had over the pop.

Besides, I got a nice semi convertible car for not much over 20k.

·
Registered
343 Posts
to each their own. to me, i abhor the whole idea of gluing plastic pieces to the sides of cars. it reminds me of something teens do to their civics.

i also didnt find the sport model much "sportier" than the pop model. it 90% of my driving applications, the pop gives the better ride for sure.

i have always found it a little humorous that manufacturers designate a "sport" model, add more weight at the wheels and more weight in the form of spoilers and side skirts, dont add any horsepower, thus making the "sport" model technically slower than the base model.

i get that some find that model more sporty looking, i just feel like for $2,000 extra, some real sport should be added.
I don't know about you guys, but in my case, the extra $2,000 got a sunroof, vinyl / cloth seats, the exterior treatment, 16" wheels, wider tires, Bose Stereo and the Blue & Me kit. Plus the more agressive damping / spring shock rates (over the Pop, of course). On top of that, an extra $2,000 would have given me an uglier (IMHO) car with leather seats. Or, $2,500 more would have given me a Prima Edizione full of badges, but not much more.. It was a no brainer. :D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but in my case, the extra $2,000 got a sunroof, vinyl / cloth seats, the exterior treatment, 16" wheels, wider tires, Bose Stereo and the Blue & Me kit. Plus the more agressive damping / spring shock rates (over the Pop, of course). On top of that, an extra $2,000 would have given me an uglier (IMHO) car with leather seats. Or, $2,500 more would have given me a Prima Edizione full of badges, but not much more.. It was a no brainer. :D

here, you pay $2000 just to go from the pop to the sport. its almost another $1000 on top of that for the sunroof alone.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I personally find the Sport, cosmetically, to be the least attractive of the three. That's why I didn't get it.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I personally find the Sport, cosmetically, to be the least attractive of the three. That's why I didn't get it.

Ryan
thats how i felt. i can honestly say had they cost the same, i would still have gotten the pop. the only thing i would want from the sport is perhaps the seats (but im not even sure about that).

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have always found it a little humorous that manufacturers designate a "sport" model, add more weight at the wheels.
A 15" steel wheel vs. a 16" alloy - I wouldn't be surprised if they were either very close in wieght, or the alloy being a little lighter.

·
Registered
343 Posts
here, you pay $2000 just to go from the pop to the sport. its almost another $1000 on top of that for the sunroof alone.
Yeah, I saw that on the Fiat USA site. Here it's a bit different - you pay $2,000 and get the Sport with a sunroof, but you have to pay $1,500 extra for the AT (with a sunroof, too). So I suppose the MT sport is a good deal, the AT - not so much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
thats how i felt. i can honestly say had they cost the same, i would still have gotten the pop. the only thing i would want from the sport is perhaps the seats (but im not even sure about that).
I don't care much about the Sport seats, I'd rather get full cloth instead of plastic / cloth. They are OK, but I've been dreaming about a full leather interior, in red / white or black / red.

Cost: $500. Really, really tempting.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
A 15" steel wheel vs. a 16" alloy - I wouldn't be surprised if they were either very close in wieght, or the alloy being a little lighter.
comparing to a 15" alloy, which most of the pops end up with anyway.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Hi,

I think Blue & Me is now standard on the Pop, and for those cars built before it was made standard I think you can get a discount (at least that's what my dealer is doing).

Regards

Pat

PS. I kind of like the interior options of the Pop over the interior in the Sport, as well :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didn't get the Sport because to me the white steering wheel/HVAC/radio look much better and you can only get them in black on the Sport. The sport seats and thicker steering wheel feel better than on Lounge/Pop. Not sure if the 16' wheels/sport suspension are a plus or minus since my last ride had a very firm sport suspension+18' summer tires that didn't get along with midwest potholes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I didn't get the Sport because to me the white steering wheel/HVAC/radio look much better and you can only get them in black on the Sport. The sport seats and thicker steering wheel feel better than on Lounge/Pop. Not sure if the 16' wheels/sport suspension are a plus or minus since my last ride had a very firm sport suspension+18' summer tires that didn't get along with midwest potholes.
I didn't pay any attention to any differences between steering wheels, but I agree, the Sport one feels chunky and substantial. The white dashboard and the seats of the Lounge, IMHO, are so much better...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've had both, first a 2012 Pop, loved it, now a 2013 Sport, loving it more. My Sport feels more "solid" on very curvy roads, which I drive most of the
time. Plus I like the wheels much better and the black on black I have with the Sport. Nothing against the Pop, great car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts