Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Install Your wheels and the front is done. On to the rears. These are really easy! It took more time to lift and set up than to change the springs! It took a grand total of 10 minutes!

First place your jack stands under the pinch welds on either side of the car. Place your jack under the rear end assembly and lift a little. Next undo the top bolt of your shock on either side and lower the rear assembly. Take out your spring. Here is a side by side comparison.

View attachment 1617 View attachment 1618

Place the rubber mounts onto your new spring correctly. I noticed that the bottom mount is shaped and needs to be placed back into the bottom assembly correctly.

View attachment 1619 View attachment 1620

I pulled out the rear bumpstops and cut about an inch off with a hacksaw.

View attachment 1621 View attachment 1622

Put it all back together and... It snowed!! Ugggg! Chicago weather! But it looks soooo much sweeter!!

View attachment 1623

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Nero! I'll take some proper pics once this crappy Chicago weather clears up.

Added note: The weight of each ciao rim is just under 17lbs but when weighed with mounted tire, it was just under 25lbs each.

Sportline review: so far it there is a small difference between stock suspension. It's def firmer of a ride but not so much. I am surprised that it handles the potholes pretty well. The firm ride keeps it from bottoming out also. Overall I'm satisfied!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Awsome post! Did you have a front alingment done or were you able to get the stut to sit back in the stock position?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you will need an alignment. Putting it back where it was isn't going to work because where it now needs to be is different from where it was.

Savvy?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks Nero! I'll take some proper pics once this crappy Chicago weather clears up.

Added note: The weight of each ciao rim is just under 17lbs but when weighed with mounted tire, it was just under 25lbs each.

Sportline review: so far it there is a small difference between stock suspension. It's def firmer of a ride but not so much. I am surprised that it handles the potholes pretty well. The firm ride keeps it from bottoming out also. Overall I'm satisfied!

Its supposed to be like 45 degrees tomorrow, hopefully the snow will be gone by midday lol.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Is a spring compressor mandontory for the front springs? if not, what else works?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you will need them. You can buy a set from harbor freight for $25 or rent them from any auto parts place.

Reactions: 500spot

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
on sale $12.99 today at harbor freight, got em, thanks again. will be hangen my springs this weekend. Hope I can find an alignment shop I can trust with my baby.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
cool.

quick list.

Lug wrench
box end off set 19mm and 18mm (for strut top) 19mm top nut, 18mm inside
either a 5.5mm or 6mm allen (I use a 3/8ths drive one for leverage)
needle nose pliers (removing clips for brake line)
2 floor jacks (you need two for the rear...or good jack stands)
15mm (Strut bolt end and rear shock bolt)
16mm (sway bar endlink)
17mm (nuts on strut bolts...15mm is the other side)
Razor knife to cut rear bumpstops

I sneak in a deep well 17mm and 19mm. I can zip the strut bolts out faster. When doing the top 19mm nut on the strut tops, leave the car on the ground. Once you break them free...you can usually just hit them with a deep well 19mm and zip them off fast. When reinstalling them...just start them a few full turns....then slowly let the car down making sure they seat back in the strut well...then tighten them with the car on the ground.

Air tools work best for the spring compressors and top bolts on the strut...but I did mine by hand this am. sucks...but my hose had a sweet gash in it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
not having any success breaking the 18mm spring retainer bolt loose. Should the spring be loaded or compressed to get the 18mm loose?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
compressed. do you have an impact? Electric one might even work. that's the hardest to break

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
UPdate, the springs are installed and look great. One word to would be DYIers on this project. If you don't have an air compressor big enough to support air tools, ie: impact driver, save yourself some money and agravation. when you get the struts out which is really easy, take them and the new springs to your local trusted muffler shop or import speed shop or freind with every tool known to man and pay them the twenty bucks to swap your springs on the struts. It will speed the job up and you may still retain your knuckles. I add this pearl of wisdom to the excellent words from Mr. Pickles. Now does anyone from the San Fenando Valley know a trustworthy alignment shop I can take my little Argento to? Or even Palmdale - Lancaster SoCal

1 - 20 of 33 Posts