Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so after reading the various threads about experiences with the Eibach Springs on the stock shocks it looks like people are not 100% pleased with the ride quality. The recommendation is to replace the shocks also for a better ride.

If you buy shocks and springs we are then in the range of $900 for suspension. Coilovers are aound $1200.

What gives a better ride? The spring/shock kit or coilovers for another $300. The coilovers would allow me to go lower and corner balance if desired. The coilovers would also allow me to raise the car in the winter much more simply.

So, any vendors tried both setups out yet?

·
Registered
343 Posts
The good thing about coilovers is that the spring and shock are made to work together. When buying them separately there's no such warranty.

I'll just keep the springs, though. The roads where I usually drive are mostly OK. When I blow my shocks, I'll see what works well with Eibachs.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I am figuring on the Eibach Coilovers most likely. I may ride around for a month then start to do the mods but I am tempted to order everything this week and I haven't even put a single mile on the car yet, insurance goes active today I think but the dealer really messed up the paperwork with names and info and transfer of tag from the trade-in so I may not be riding today which is bothersome since it was delivered Saturday and sitting there every since.....arrgghhhhh.

Probable kit of choice for me found here: http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=42_69&product_id=110

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I can tell you from springs/coilover experience from other cars...but not the Fiat.

In my experience, a quality set of shocks (Bilstein/Koni) and a quality set of lowering springs (H&R/Eibach) are better on street cars than even the most street oriented coil over packages.

BC coilovers are referred to as some of the best street oriented (and cost effective) set ups. I've had BC coilovers, Konis, and even a set of Bilstein PS S9s.

Every single coilover kit has been MUCH stiffer. I mean, stiff to the point of impacting comfort in a negative manner. Once properly set up they are amazing. General day to day usage as a family hauler...not so much.

The Eibachs in the Fiat give you a better feel. They are isn't as wallowy, does handle better, and it is a little bit bouncier. Quality shocks will fix that IMO. I'm sure the factory shocks are price point items.

If given the choice, I would have installed the springs all over again. I think the look and feel out weigh the small negatives.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I can tell you from springs/coilover experience from other cars...but not the Fiat.

In my experience, a quality set of shocks (Bilstein/Koni) and a quality set of lowering springs (H&R/Eibach) are better on street cars than even the most street oriented coil over packages.

BC coilovers are referred to as some of the best street oriented (and cost effective) set ups. I've had BC coilovers, Konis, and even a set of Bilstein PS S9s.

Every single coilover kit has been MUCH stiffer. I mean, stiff to the point of impacting comfort in a negative manner. Once properly set up they are amazing. General day to day usage as a family hauler...not so much.

The Eibachs in the Fiat give you a better feel. They aren't as wallowy, it does handle better, and it is a little bit bouncier. Quality shocks will fix that IMO. I'm sure the factory shocks are price point items.

If given the choice, I would have installed the springs all over again. I think the look and feel out weigh the small negatives.

Edited so I don't sound drunk.

·
Registered
160 Posts

The Eibachs in the Fiat give you a better feel. They are isn't as wallowy, does handle better, and it is a little bit bouncier. Quality shocks will fix that IMO. I'm sure the factory shocks are price point items.

Generally my understanding about Spring + Shock vs Coilovers.

·
Registered
35 Posts

100% my experience too. My Supra's had both, one had coilovers and made did very well on a skidpad (1.1 lateral G's on street tires). And the other had H&R's and tokico's that I would much rather drive.

The STi has a set of Greddy Type S coilovers as well, and they are half the reason that I am buying the fiat, way too rough on these Tucson streets. coilover don have any buiseness on a daily driven car, if you really want to enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
BC coilover on my old Caliber SRt-4 and the ride is better that the original suspension!!!

In my case i prefer coilover...my past car have only spring and after few month my shock break!!

Ok the price for a kit of coilover it's not the same...but the quality is here!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have had several sets of coilovers in my days (FK, KW and H&R) and they provide the best control of the drop but do produce a fairly firm ride. Springs are good, however (and is evidence with the Eibach reviews) if they are not paired with a matching shock/strut combo the ride is generally not so good. I see H&R has springs for the Fiat 500 so my hope would be they produce a CupKit soon as they pair Bilstein shocks with their spring set making for a much better product and still at a cheaper price than a coilover set and this might be my choice for getting a Fiat 500 closer to the ground ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have run both springs and stock struts and 2 sets of coilovers in my previous 05 Legacy GT and say springs and struts. Yes coiloves handle beter and you can adjust things more, but you just end up setting it and leaving it alone cause you usually make it worse if you mess with it. Plus they have a shorter suspension travel and harder ride not suited to a daily driver.

On a side note i dont trust anything BC, they make JIC and Megan Racing set ups and have seen many threads of them basically exploding, not just mine. Something about the body of your car sitting on a tire that is wiggling around and fighting you at 60mph on a crowded highway can make you loose faith a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts