Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experienced off a cold start on your abarth were it rough idles and check engine light, esc light, hill start off, and have no throttle response, this just happened to me this morning. I started it off the first cold start and it idled like it had a big cam in it and I had a Christmas tree of lights on my dash and so I turned it right off turned it on again same thing but I let it run to see if it would change and did not, turned it off popped the hood to see if I could get a video of it and turned it on and magically stopped doing it all lights went away except for check engine light, please if anyone knows what this is let me know

·
Registered
755 Posts
Your first step would be to read the trouble codes. If you don't have a scanner, take it to an auto parts place and they'll usually read them for you. Write down all the codes, put them in a safe place, then clear the codes.

This could be a one time glitch, but it's good to have the history. While you are there, have them do a load test on your battery. These cars are very sensitive to low voltage conditions and a marginal battery can cause spurious faults.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i also had this happen. turned it off and on again and all symptoms are gone. had my mechanic pull the plugs and 2 and 3 fouled up. oil getting in. doing the valve cover and gasket and getting new plugs. hopefully takes care of the issue cause oil was getting into the air intake system. trying to get ahead of any other issues.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm not sure what a valve cover gasket would have to do with extra oil getting into the combustion chambers. How many miles on the old plugs? The factory has mine down for plug replacement at 100K, but Abarth owners are recommending every 30K.

You might consider servicing the oil separator box. There are videos on how to clean the box, replace the PCV and o-ring. If there's an external oil leak on the driver's side, it's often that o-ring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just bought the car with 52000. im 99% sure they are original plugs. the gaskets around the plugs look pretty crappy. i thought hey came with the valve cover gasket? how else is oil getting in there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure what a valve cover gasket would have to do with extra oil getting into the combustion chambers. How many miles on the old plugs? The factory has mine down for plug replacement at 100K, but Abarth owners are recommending every 30K.

You might consider servicing the oil separator box. There are videos on how to clean the box, replace the PCV and o-ring. If there's an external oil leak on the driver's side, it's often that o-ring.
thanks for the reply btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is what i read...Most likely a leaking valve cover gasket. If the gasket is not sealed around the spark plug well it will leak oil into that area. It also could be a faulty valve cover (cracked), but it is more likely that the gasket is the problem. ... Oil gets inside the tube and causes cylinder misfire.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ah, I get what you were saying. Oil wouldn't be getting into the cylinder, but would be collecting around the boot. Yes, that could be the spark plug tube seals failing. A failed o-ring around the oil-air separator usually would collect in #4 and 3 first.
1571086516227.png
OK, so the mech is doing seals, gasket... and don't forget the o-ring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts