Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's with the sudden crop of starting issues others including myself are experiencing? My car sat for a week and it's been a few cranks before it starts. It's not even cold outside. Someone had an issue where it wouldn't turn over and had it towed. Not a positive experience.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just read on another forum to check one of the bolts going to the starter that may be loose from the factory. What's with the loose bolts issue on this car?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just read on another forum to check one of the bolts going to the starter that may be loose from the factory. What's with the loose bolts issue on this car?
You want to talk about loose bolts/nuts from the factory that cause issue, then you shouldn't limit yourself to the Fiat 500.
Heck, Chevy had a recall recently where their people building the cars forgot to install brake pads on one of the calipers on several hundred vehicles, and somehow, a bunch of those cars actually made it to dealers lots, and into the hands of actual car buyers without ever noticing that the cars sucked at braking.

How the heck does someone between the factory and the dealer prep guy not notice that the car doesn't brake properly?

Then, we can talk about Bat's previous car, her '08 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster.
The factory in Germany forgot to tighten one little 10mm nut in the engine compartment during its build.
That nut just happened to be the one thing that grounded every single computer system in the car, since all of them grounded at the one spot.

This issue lead to multiple BCM's, ECU's, the SCREEM computer, and the airbag ecu needing to be replaced multiple times over a 4 month period before they finally found the culprit. 1 stupid nut. Right in plain view, too.

So far, her 500 Sport has gone many more miles and months without having a single major issue, and she's way happier with the Mexican build quality of her car over the supposedly superior German build quality of her Crossfire. Not to mention she has a 2001 PT Cruiser, built in the same exact plant that built her Fiat 500 that she has over 88k miles, and has never had any major problem with at all. They share the garage together at night, and probably share stories with each other how Hector, Jesus, and Dominique put them together with such great care and precision.

BC.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Am I the only one noticing the absence of reply from FiatCares - in a post with "FiatCares" in the title? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Am I the only one noticing the absence of reply from FiatCares - in a post with "FiatCares" in the title? :confused:
I think much of his replying occurs during work hours so it is likely he won't always reply as quickly due to workload, he does seem to try to reply to most everything though, just give him a little time and I'm fairly sure he will drop by here as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
i think hes referring to the 500 being built in mexico. if i remember correctly thats where theyre being built and not in italy.
No reason for anything but the manual to be in Italian. Euro 500's are built in Poland. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with Mexican assembly. Issues about wages, environmental regulations or trade issues are fair game.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well, I imagine he has a job as well.

Honestly, this topic was discussed in another thread and he did participate. If this condition is real, or repeatable, then it will be a legitimate service issue. Our Fiat Cares fellow can't post a cure.

If there is a pattern of starting problems, it will not die quietly- not with this group, at least. But just because he is a company rep, I would not expect him to spend his day, one-on-one with us, typing away. Frankly, I think his contributions have been frequent and genuine. He doesn't owe us anything and insults won't encourage his help.

I'm not discounting anyone's experience. I'm just not impressed with the baiting.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Well, I imagine he has a job as well. Honestly, this topic was discussed in another thread and he did participate. If this condition is real, or repeatable, then it will be a legitimate service issue. Our Fiat Cares fellow can't post a cure. If there is a pattern of starting problems, it will not die quietly- not with this group, at least. But just because he is a company rep, I would not expect him to spend his day, one-on-one with us, typing away. Frankly, I think his contributions have been frequent and genuine. He doesn't owe us anything and insults won't encourage his help. I'm not discounting anyone's experience. I'm just not impressed with the baiting.
Well stated and I am inclined to agree, as stated above he is here often and does reply a good bit but I can't imagine him hitting every thread but given enough time I'd expect to see him drop by this one as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Tweak,

So funny; you 'way over there' and me here. Both of us clicking around this forum. Anyhow, thanks for the nod of agreement.

Actually, I think it is really unusual to have a factory rep participate in a forum. And welcome, in my opinion. Let's treat him nicely.

But gents (and ladies): do be as specific as you can with your reporting of the conditions you report. It will help us all, and the Fiat group. I care, as a brand new, 24-hour-old owner, and as a fan of Fiat. We're all on the same side here.

BTW, I understand the chief tech here at the Vancouver Studio has come to Fiat from the Ferrari & Maserati dealer. If so, he should be able to sort through whatever issues we come up with. Of course, I'm not expecting any issues....

cin cin,

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Jonathan is relatively new and when I first joined he wasn't here, I think it is pretty cool he is here and assisting and knowing what an amazing (& huge) thing he did for at least one member here I am very impressed with his willingness to help and the time he spends with us here, seems he does so during business hours and during none business hours so he is also a fan or enthusiast not just an employee assigned a duty, he chose to be here so by all means take advantage of his offers to assist but do show appreciation for that help as well.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

mneuman916

This is a copy of my last message to you from the PM:

I am unaware of a known concern on both issues. I would have your local studio check out the radio alignment and as far as the condensation in the tail lamp assemblies, I would avoid direct high pressure spray to that area.. the dealer can see if the perimeter of the tail lamps are sealed, but there may not be a fix at the moment unless they replace the units. In most cases, the water evaporates.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I think much of his replying occurs during work hours so it is likely he won't always reply as quickly due to workload, he does seem to try to reply to most everything though, just give him a little time and I'm fairly sure he will drop by here as well.

Tweak:

Dont I wish I could work from home haha

·
Registered
777 Posts
I kept reading about this starting issue, it got me worried, and I have some info to share.
I store my fun car for winter, I have a Subaru for winters, the fiat is my current fun car.

the car had never has a starting issue before I stored it. I thought I'd give this a try. when stored I hooked up a smart charger to the battery and the car has sat stored for 4.5 months now. the battery is still at 100%. the car is in a heated underground condo complex so cold is not a factor in my case.

I got in the car and ... no start. I tried the crank it for 30 seconds trick and it did start. I did hear intake noise only after 20 or so seconds. this leads me to believe that the first 20-30 seconds of cranking is building oil pressure for the intake valves.

After the car started I ran it for maybe 3 minutes and shut it off. I then let it sit for 30 minutes and tried it again. The car started first crank no problems.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I kept reading about this starting issue, it got me worried, and I have some info to share.
I store my fun car for winter, I have a Subaru for winters, the fiat is my current fun car.

the car had never has a starting issue before I stored it. I thought I'd give this a try. when stored I hooked up a smart charger to the battery and the car has sat stored for 4.5 months now. the battery is still at 100%. the car is in a heated underground condo complex so cold is not a factor in my case.

I got in the car and ... no start. I tried the crank it for 30 seconds trick and it did start. I did hear intake noise only after 20 or so seconds. this leads me to believe that the first 20-30 seconds of cranking is building oil pressure for the intake valves.

After the car started I ran it for maybe 3 minutes and shut it off. I then let it sit for 30 minutes and tried it again. The car started first crank no problems.

This is by design. The valves hold oil which needs to be primed when a car sits for long periods

·
Registered
777 Posts
This is by design. The valves hold oil which needs to be primed when a car sits for long periods
Exactly what I was getting at. Not a problem but smart design. I wish it had a message on the display saying "priming" or something like that.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts