Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime in the last few thousand miles, my steering column cover (crappy plastic) has started rattling like CRAZY. It doesn't feel like it's attached very well, you can grab the whole thing and wiggle it around like it would almost come right off. There's almost 1/4" gap between the upper and lower piece at the corner closest to the steering wheel on the right side. There are two screws going up into the cover from the bottom but they're both tight. I'm out of town right now and don't have tools so I'm not ripping into it right this second. The only thing I can think is that when I get into the car, sometimes, my right knee will hit the bottom pieces, I'm thinking that may have knocked a clip loose or something. It's a MAJOR pain for me to take it to the dealer since it's 3 hours away and this isn't an emergency or anything. I finally got it to quit by rolling up a piece of thick paper backing and stuck it between the cover and one of the interior panels behind the ignition key.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I really do hope that Fiat fixes some of the fit and finish issues in future models.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Mine had this issue. It was one of the first things I had repaired under warranty. The studio ended up putting on a new cover. I forget what actually went wrong with it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely sounds like something to take to the studio when you get the chance. I have noticed quite a few fit and finish issues on my 500T as well. Which drives me insane seeing as how I am very OCD when it comes to my car.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was definitely the plastic broken out around the 2 screws that go up through the bottom of the cover. No way to fix it without replacing so I dropped by the dealer on my way to Atlanta (it's about half way). The manager took a look at it and said he'd get it ordered for me and that it would be there in a day or two. Worked out perfect because it got there in time for me to stop back by on my way home from Atlanta and have it installed. Took a good 30 minutes just because I had to wait in line at the Chrysler dealer service department but now it's rock solid and good as new!

Now I've just gotta remember to not hit the dang thing with my knees when I get in...

·
Registered
765 Posts
ditto

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sometime in the last few thousand miles, my steering column cover (crappy plastic) has started rattling like CRAZY. It doesn't feel like it's attached very well, you can grab the whole thing and wiggle it around like it would almost come right off. There's almost 1/4" gap between the upper and lower piece at the corner closest to the steering wheel on the right side. There are two screws going up into the cover from the bottom but they're both tight. I'm out of town right now and don't have tools so I'm not ripping into it right this second. The only thing I can think is that when I get into the car, sometimes, my right knee will hit the bottom pieces, I'm thinking that may have knocked a clip loose or something. It's a MAJOR pain for me to take it to the dealer since it's 3 hours away and this isn't an emergency or anything. I finally got it to quit by rolling up a piece of thick paper backing and stuck it between the cover and one of the interior panels behind the ignition key.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem?
Yes mine does the same thing and always has but not a problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts