Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a buddy's performance muffler shop and made a bolt on straight pipe from the axel back. We stuck with the same pipe size (2"). The performance is great, same if not better than aftermarket axel backs. Sound is nice and less than any other axel back aside from magnaflow. There's no drone at all. The sound is a higher pitch, which to me sounds more European. The reason a straight pipe is not as loud as an axel back is unknown to me. In fact it doesn't make sence to me other than the resonator absorbing the sound. The only thing I can think of is that a muffler makes airflow bounce before exiting creating drone and louder exit sound. I speak from experience. We have two 500. One had an RRM axel back and the other a Magnaflow. Magnaflow is almost as quiet as the OEM. Straight pipe would fall in between the two. Nice cheap mod. We went with 2" pipe that wasn't mandrel bent. However, the bednds created enough restriction to optimize exhaust flow without being too freeflow like, which would cause loss in bottom end torque. The tech, told me that mandrel bend would create more flow, however it would decrease low end torque having no muffler to compensate...
I did this mod cause we sold the RRM exhaust and are waiting on an OEM muffler. The fiat is being traded in for a bigger car. Two fiat was fun, but became too small for us.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't do pics or video here and be out of town next week. The week after that I will be back and can make a YouTube video. If Paul reads this post, he can pitch in the looks and sound....

·
Registered
518 Posts
adding back pressure via restrictions will not help low end torque, nor will it help high end power either. Back pressure becomes more of a hindrance to performance as you add overlap to a camshaft, but back pressure is not good for performance

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So cal is right ref back pressure. I guess what I meant is that the straight pipe bends adjust exhaust flow to the car's hp. It creates better flow than OEM muffler and exhaust flow is not too much for the engine. Too much flow for certin hp kills low end tq and even hp. If not ask the idiots with stock civics running 3" exhaust. Haha.

·
Registered
230 Posts
could you get a picture of what the tubing looks like?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Proud to announce that my axel back made more power than the OEM axel back and the RRM axel back. A member (fig) dyno the Fiat. He will show results...thanks Fig. I'm glad you like the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Proud to announce that my axel back made more power than the OEM axel back and the RRM axel back. A member (fig) dyno the Fiat. He will show results...thanks Fig. I'm glad you like the exhaust.

Where do you sell from? What's your site I guess I should say where these exhausts can be viewed and purchased if desired? It'll be nice to see that vid put up on YouTube, I have seen some things from Fig so I may already know the exact exhaust you refer to.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't think he is selling them, I assume he just got a straight-pipe installed at an exhaust shop which you should be able to get done locally too. There is always the possibilty the modifying the stock exhaust might give some strong results such as gutting the stock muffler, removing any resonators or just changing the piping to something less restrictive.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Like the efforts, but the sound is not my fav. I have a Milltek type cat back on my Audi and that produces a nice low pitch deep sound. This sound reminds me of putting a baseball card in the spokes of my bike when I was 8.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts