Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over at the D/FW "Project Fiat" site too but thought I'd post it here as well.

Tidbit (my Grigio) did something VERY weird on a drive from today. She stuttered something awful. I was in a parking lot looking at a map and when I was finished I put her in gear (she's an automatic) and pulled out onto the street. She didn't get 10 seconds down the road before she started jerking three or four times, stuttering like she wasn't in the right gear. I checked and so did my daughter and she was in the right gear (D). Scared me! Then she jerked one last time with a soft boom sound and started driving fine.

I guess I'll be hitting up the service department when I'm at the studio tomorrow for a party they're having.

Ugh. I hope this isn't a transmission issue. I went through that crap with my Honda and it was why I bought a new car. Ugh. :(

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Sport mode on?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, no sport mode on.

Water in the gas, eh? I hope so.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would almost be willing to bet against transmission. Check for a cel to pop up. Sounds like a slight misfire or water in the gas as stated before.

Also we're you at a very low partial throttle? I know sometimes if your at a partial throttle almost between imaginary throttle points it will send more fuel but not air and it can choke out the system momentarily. Also another good test is the old cleaning the carb test drive around for 10 minutes regular then on a safe open road pedal to floor for an entire gear to sorta clean the system. Look behind for a puff of black smoke or white even.

Bol and let us know the outcome for sure.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
patti -

it sounds like a engine computer issue, it may have locked up with incorrect or incomplete information regarding what to do at that certain driving condition you were in at that moment.

has the battery been disconnected recently? the ecu might be trying to re-learn it's fuel, cam, and ignition maps and for some reason the part of the map that was incomplete gave you that studder and loss of available momentum.

the cure for this is just to keep driving until it either works the kink out of the ecu map, or wait until you have a check engine light permanently lit, then it's time for the service dept to look into it.

rob

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you connect an ODB2 in your car, it will tell you what went wrong. If it was water, it will show up in the fuel data. I still think you might have bought gas from a station that had just been filled up and water was mixed up from the bottom of their holding tank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heya guys!

I definitely put the pedal to the metal today at the Fiat "Rally" with the rest of the guys of the Project Fiat club in Hurst. TX. She hasn't done it again. I haven't disconnected the battery at all and if I got gas at a station with water, hopefully it's gone by now. I was at a very low partial throttle and that's when she stuttered so it is possible that it just wasn't funneling the fuel where it needed to go.

As it was, I spoke to the dealer service dude when we were at the dealer today and he told me to bring it in if it did anything like it again.

Thanks for all your input. I'll let you know if it does it again.

·
Registered
962 Posts
patti -

it sounds like a engine computer issue, it may have locked up with incorrect or incomplete information regarding what to do at that certain driving condition you were in at that moment.

has the battery been disconnected recently? the ecu might be trying to re-learn it's fuel, cam, and ignition maps and for some reason the part of the map that was incomplete gave you that studder and loss of available momentum.

the cure for this is just to keep driving until it either works the kink out of the ecu map, or wait until you have a check engine light permanently lit, then it's time for the service dept to look into it.

rob
x2 on what he said.

·
Registered
235 Posts
No mention of how many miles were on the vehicle. When last service was done. Drove through a puddle and air filter was wet, choking the engine. Why did she need confirmation of what gear it was in? Did she paddle shift it into fourth or fifth and then try to 'take off'? Too many variables here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
^^^^ Hence the reason I say it's fuel related. The backfire is what makes me go hummmmm. Hitting a puddle and injecting water in the air supply would make it go like it did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts