Fiat 500 Forum banner

Leave the Srtipe on or Take the Stripe Off?

• Leave the Stripe ON

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Take the Stripe OFF

Votes: 12 44.4%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background, if you're interested:
I have a red Prima Edizione (PE). Number 499 of 500. I ordered it at the Fiat Freak Out in July 2010. We had no idea what it would look like, other than it would be red. As some of you may know, we did not find out for sure until a week or so before delivery that it would have a matte gray dash. It also came with black pocket wheels and large black stripes. I would not have gotten any of these things. They are not my taste. Still, I wanted the PE, figuring I could make changes easily.
So far, I have swapped out the dash for a red one (kept the gray dash in storage), and traded my black pocket wheels with someone with standard sport wheels.
That just leaves the stripes. I think they look best on gray or white PE's. I am hesitant to remove them because they are a big part of the PE look. On the other hand, I am not crazy about the PE look.

My family says leave them on, and I want them off.
What do you think? I have found that they can be purchased for about 80 bucks if I ever want to put them on.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That's not original. Almost every 500 coming out of my studio has that stripe.

Original=one that can not be bought online, in the studio, or came on the car

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Well I wouldn't take it off a limit production car. If you wrecked the car, most likely a body shop could get the stripe from Fiat. Why not just buy a red sport model. Sell this one to someome who might want to collect a Prima.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, so far 50/50

Well I wouldn't take it off a limit production car. If you wrecked the car, most likely a body shop could get the stripe from Fiat. Why not just buy a red sport model. Sell this one to someome who might want to collect a Prima.
I'd lose lots of money, and as far as I know no one is collecting Primas...yet.

So if take the stripe off I have a Prima that can be easly restored to original, and in the meantime I may like the look better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Prima-shmima. If you don't like it, change it. Your car is still a PE, but modified. In any case, it's YOUR car. Do what YOU want.

If there were some huge market for PEs, I'd agree with the others and say sell it as original and buy a "regular" model with the features you like. Since that's not happening, I say, make it the car you've always wanted, and stop worrying about what value might be taken away from it.

If you're unhappy with the car for any reason, it will only nag at you more and more. Just fix it and be happy.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Prima-shmima. If you don't like it, change it. Your car is still a PE, but modified. In any case, it's YOUR car. Do what YOU want.

If there were some huge market for PEs, I'd agree with the others and say sell it as original and buy a "regular" model with the features you like. Since that's not happening, I say, make it the car you've always wanted, and stop worrying about what value might be taken away from it.

If you're unhappy with the car for any reason, it will only nag at you more and more. Just fix it and be happy.
Wise words...and I happen to agree...;)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
if it were MY PE, I would buy an extra set of PE stripes and remove the original ones. I prefer the look of the 500 w/o stripes.

the only thing is that the mirror covers and roof/spoiler are black, so it almost needs stripes to compliment it.

maybe also when you buy your extra set of stripes, get a couple mirror covers and paint them Rosso to match your car.

at least that's what I would do. :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if it were MY PE, I would buy an extra set of PE stripes and remove the original ones. I prefer the look of the 500 w/o stripes.

the only thing is that the mirror covers and roof/spoiler are black, so it almost needs stripes to compliment it.

maybe also when you buy your extra set of stripes, get a couple mirror covers and paint them Rosso to match your car.

at least that's what I would do. :)
Yes, that's what I am thinking of.

Hey, 100 views and 6 votes? Don't be shy, you're opinion counts!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far more in favor of keeping. Still, some of the comments have helped me decide. One thing I asked myself is, "If the car came without stripes, would I add them?" My answer is a clear "NO"

I think I know what I will do...

·
Registered
175 Posts

My car came without stripes and I had them added. To me it clearly adds to the appeal of the car. Of course that's just my opinion. Others may differ.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had to vote stripe off. I generally don't like stripes although some look "ok" but that big black stripe is just overkill in my books. I was offered a Prima when I went to buy mine and the first thing I asked was if they can take the stripe off. It didn't happen since I bought a Lounge instead.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I've debated taking the stripe off mine. Personally i think it looks best on white and since the roof, spoiler and mirror caps are black it works well on my Bianca.
Fiat charges a ridiculous 400 bucks or so for these decals so I will probably leave them. Especially since I may get an abarth next year.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update. here is photoshop with them removed. :cool: Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 34 Posts