Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the Fiat stubby antenna from 500 Madness. A direct replacement for the long antenna.

Has anyone removed the existing antenna? Is it threaded on as most other roof mounted antennas, or is there a trick to this one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The mast screws on but as for the base I'm pretty sure there is probably something on the inside of the car that is holding it on so you'll probably need to drop the headliner.... but I could be wrong

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you F500 and 1212. I was referring to the mast, and not the entire base. The mast looks to be square near the base (pulling this from memory), so that threw me a bit. I have "The Stubby" from Craven Speed short mast antenna. I'll let all know if it affects reception in any way.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Thank you F500 and 1212. I was referring to the mast, and not the entire base. The mast looks to be square near the base (pulling this from memory), so that threw me a bit. I have "The Stubby" from Craven Speed short mast antenna. I'll let all know if it affects reception in any way.

when I owned my smart, I removed the standard metal antenna mast and replaced it with a 'stubby' from a Dodge Avenger. looked great and actually IMPROVED the reception. I was thinking of doing the same thing on my 500, but haven't measured the Avenger mast to see if its that much shorter.

you are correct about the base of the mast being kind of 'square', so I don't know how that will mate up to a 'round' base. guess we'll see soon.

to be continued........

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It'd be really nice to have a nice affordable alternative to the rather large antenna that comes stock on the RC car...eh the 500 I mean.
It may be the 'head unit' but it sure would be nice if your antenna didn't lose Sirius if you looked at it cross-eyed

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
It may be the 'head unit' but it sure would be nice if your antenna didn't lose Sirius if you looked at it cross-eyed

Only time I lose signal is under the cover at the gas station, car wash (touchless only of course), and in parking garages, otherwise I haven't seen such issues luckily. I have heard maybe a half second blip for lack of better words to describe it, kind like a skip of a cd or record perhaps makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Only time I lose signal is under the cover at the gas station, car wash (touchless only of course), and in parking garages, otherwise I haven't seen such issues luckily.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. It only loses it when in sort of the same situations you detail above, under an overpass at a stoplight, in my home garage, etc.. But, the XM radio I had in the Chevy HHR that I traded in for the 500 those things didn't seem to faze it.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. It only loses it when in sort of the same situations you detail above, under an overpass at a stoplight, in my home garage, etc.. But, the XM radio I had in the Chevy HHR that I traded in for the 500 those things didn't seem to faze it.

I see, I noticed my mom does not suffer from the same loses with her 2012 Escape so yeah, it could use a bit of a boost somehow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just installed the Stubby antenna from 500 Madness. Simple screw off / screw on. Only tool required to secure the new antenna is a very, very thin Allen wrench (1.5mm or 2mm), that's it. $39.99.

No noticable difference in reception, but a much smaller profile.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
when I owned my smart, I removed the standard metal antenna mast and replaced it with a 'stubby' from a Dodge Avenger. looked great and actually IMPROVED the reception. I was thinking of doing the same thing on my 500, but haven't measured the Avenger mast to see if its that much shorter.

you are correct about the base of the mast being kind of 'square', so I don't know how that will mate up to a 'round' base. guess we'll see soon.

to be continued........
the Avenger antenna, while MUCH less expensive (about $8) than the one below, ended up being the same length. :(

Just installed the Stubby antenna from 500 Madness. Simple screw off / screw on. Only tool required to secure the new antenna is a very, very thin Allen wrench (1.5mm or 2mm), that's it. $39.99.

No noticable difference in reception, but a much smaller profile.

looks good but for $40, I'll pass..........

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I see, I noticed my mom does not suffer from the same loses with her 2012 Escape so yeah, it could use a bit of a boost somehow.
FYI, I was reading somewhere the other day that while Sirius and XM merged, they still maintain different broadcast signaling methods and the XM method is more ROBUST than the Sirius signaling method. I guess perhaps that explains why the XM radio in my 'less expensive' HHR that I traded for the 500 sounded much better with much less signal degradation when in low reception areas.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
FYI, I was reading somewhere the other day that while Sirius and XM merged, they still maintain different broadcast signaling methods and the XM method is more ROBUST than the Sirius signaling method. I guess perhaps that explains why the XM radio in my 'less expensive' HHR that I traded for the 500 sounded much better with much less signal degradation when in low reception areas.

....or it could be just the FIAT's antenna or radio. :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
....or it could be just the FIAT's antenna or radio. :)
Personally, I LOVE the satellite, but being retired, I spend about an hour or so a week in the car so there won't be an Lira spent to find out.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts