Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just called Fiat of Van Nuys Studio and asked if they would know how to turn off my seat belt chime. They asked why I would want to do that, then said "there is no way to do that, it's not an option," then when I told them I've been on the FiatForums and have been reading that the dealer CAN turn off the seat belt chime, they then say "Okay, we still can't because it's illegal for us to do it." Sigh.

From: "Why do you want to drive the car without a seat belt?" (which is not my point), to "Oh, you just don't like the sound? well, we literally can't turn it off," to "Oh, there's an option to turn it off? Well, it's illegal for us to turn it off."

So, my question is, is it illegal for a California dealer to turn off the seat belt chime of a FIAT or are they just clueless and don't want to do it?

Thanks, Peipster

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
They don't want the possible legal ramifications if you crash, aren't wearing you seatbelt and blame the absence of chime.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Cut off the buckle of an old seat belt that fits in the Fiat seat and latch it in without using the actual belt.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would advise you to try a different Studio. They probably just don't know how to do it, but another Studio might hook you up.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I too wish there was a way to disable the chime. When I have to maneuver the car through a tight space in a lot, one that requires getting in and out of the car, the chime is horribly distracting. Not so I can drive around town without a belt of course. A few years ago I was in a nasty car accident and the thing saved my life. I won't drive/ride in a car without one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ive noticed that when i stop my car, pull the handbrake and take my seat belt off with the car still running, the seat belt chime will go off for ever even if the car isnt moving.
i dont want to buy one of those seat belt keys because my intentions arent to drive with my seat belt off.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Did I miss something in that one sided dealer conversation you quoted? I did not read the "reason" for this mod. Sounds like someone wants to drive without a seat belt to me. Nothing more.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did I miss something in that one sided dealer conversation you quoted? I did not read the "reason" for this mod. Sounds like someone wants to drive without a seat belt to me. Nothing more.

Hi Lorvar, no, not at all about wanting to drive without seat belts. I always drive with my seatbelt on, it's just that sometimes I don't want to put it on immediately when I get into the car. Now, with the little FIAT, I've been duly trained to pop in the seat belt before doing ANYthing else (just to avoid the chime). I can't sit with the engine on, parked (without moving) to look at something (my map, I don't have nav, or notes I wrote to myself about my errands, nothing important). And this might be a bad habit, but I used to pop off the seat belt in my Honda once I hit the underside of my building (and pulling into my car parking spot). It's around 50 feet of driving in my "lot," and now when I pop off the seat belt, the chime goes off forever and then it starts dinging.

And since I read in these wonderful forums that there was a way for the dealer to disable this, I thought I'd share that my California dealer wouldn't do it, or said they couldn't do it.

Ciao!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
This is just me, but if I'm in the car, whether stopped or a foot away from my garage door, the belt stays on. What if some nut job loses control of his car, jumps a curb and hits you? Anything can happen. I've seen cars plow through homes without an invitation. Not saying you're a bad driver, just others aren't as good. Your call.

Reactions: GotFiat

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is just me, but if I'm in the car, whether stopped or a foot away from my garage door, the belt stays on. What if some nut job loses control of his car, jumps a curb and hits you? Anything can happen. I've seen cars plow through homes without an invitation. Not saying you're a bad driver, just others aren't as good. Your call.
As always, Lorvar, thanks for "chiming" in, and I am impressed with your discipline re: wearing your seat belt.

Just yesterday, after I got back from a drive, I remembered I wanted to review my mileage trip data. I had already gotten halfway out of the car, so I sat back in and turned on the ignition, not to start, but just to turn on the car. I sat there hitting the Trip button with my right thumb and the seat belt chime went on, so I put the seat belt back on just to read my trip data.

It's not a big deal, really.

Have a great Sunday!!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
As always, Lorvar, thanks for "chiming" in, and I am impressed with your discipline re: wearing your seat belt.

Just yesterday, after I got back from a drive, I remembered I wanted to review my mileage trip data. I had already gotten halfway out of the car, so I sat back in and turned on the ignition, not to start, but just to turn on the car. I sat there hitting the Trip button with my right thumb and the seat belt chime went on, so I put the seat belt back on just to read my trip data.

It's not a big deal, really.

Have a great Sunday!!
You're too polite to tell me off,lol

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're too polite to tell me off,lol

hahaha, Lorvar! Would this be better? "Gosh, for a guy with a Pearl White Lounge, you SURE have a lot of attitude!!!"

I'm kidding!!!! I'm kidding!! I've just been reading a lot of old posts (and getting eye strain). It's a horrible addiction, these forums. But I'm learning a lot, so I'm happy. My friends think I'm gone off the deep end.

There are several posters who always have good things to add, and you're one of them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
hahaha, Lorvar! Would this be better? "Gosh, for a guy with a Pearl White Lounge, you SURE have a lot of attitude!!!"
ROFL! :D 5 minutes later and I'm still chuckling....
P.S. My pearl white sport is named Pepe'

1 - 20 of 133 Posts