Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry to start another thread, but I'm hoping to gather advice that may be spread out in multiple places. I did search first.

I have a new sport, and I'm really getting pain in my back from the ride. It is just too stiff for me. I did drive a sport and a pop before I bought the car, and though I preferred the pop ride, I don't remember the sport being as stiff as it is.

So, for those who have made changes to their suspension, can I get some input as to how complex it is to do? Is it a reasonable project for someone to do themselves ?(assuming tools and a spring compressor, moderate mechanical ability and some patience).

I called the local studio service department and the fellow did not seem to know that there is a difference between the sport and the pop/ lounge suspensions. That did surprise me, so could I get info from members as to whether it is springs, shocks or both.

My hope is that I can find a local pop or lounge owner who wants the sport set up, and would be willing to trade parts. I know that many want a lower, stiffer car, but I'm already getting a nagging regret about the ride of the stock sport. It's getting to me in the middle of the night. I'm not saying it is bad, but the softer ride is simply my preference.

I'm going to go back to the studio and ask to drive a pop again, but if I could get the voices of experience to pitch in, that would be really great.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It's not hard. With the right tools that is. You will need a few jacks, a 17mm a 15mm, 18mm either a 5.5 or 6mm allen (preferably socket allen or something with a 90 degree angle). The wrenches/sockets need to be offset to reach the top front strut bolt. Don't quote me on the sizes so to cover bases, 14mm-19mm Since you are not disassembling the front struts, you don't need a spring compressor. You have one top mount bolt on each front strut, a sway bar bolt, and two lower strut mount bolts. Once you loosen the top bolt with the car on the ground...jack it up and take the other bolts out. Unclip the brake line from the housing and I think a wire for the wheel speed sensor. The whole unit comes out once you finish the top mount you'd previously loosened.

The rear is a little tricky. You have to jack up the car on the pivot for the rear suspension and have a small jack to support the rear once you unbolt the rear shocks. Once the shocks are undone in the rear, the springs will fall out.
it's 4 bolts total in the rear. 1 upper and one lower bolt on each side. The top rear shock bolts are self tapping...so take care when reinstalling them.

My advice is to find someone you know who is a decent wrench. Have them either standby or help. Taking your time and making sure everything is right and torqued back to spec will take about 2 hours tops. I did my last set in about an hour.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, thanks. Clear and helpful, and up to your usual standard. But one detail: springs and shocks or just one of the two?

My guess is that the shocks are the major factor contributing to the kidney pounding ride.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That I don't know. I'd still try finding someone with a pop or lounge, and swap wheels with them for a test drive. I think you'll see as much of a difference with the increased sidewall vs the spring/shock swap. It's also much easier.

Going from 45 series tires to 55 series tires might be that sweet spot you're looking for.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you are saying about the tire series. This ride is more than just a tire size, imo. But it would be an easier change. Not less expensive, I'd wager.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a sport and right now I'm running 175 65 14 for winter and the ride is less jarring over sharp impacts although I can't really remember what a pop was like to give a comparason. If the taller side walls and smaller wheels do the trick there are 1 or 2 members here that could likely help you out with some kind of trade :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi MVander,

So you are running 14" wheels and tires! That is cool. I have about 4 sets of 14" 4x98mm wheels from vintage Fiats. Do you know what the offset of your wheels is? I ws afraid that the caliper or strut would interfere with going with a smaller wheel.

thanks,
Arman

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi MVander,

So you are running 14" wheels and tires! That is cool. I have about 4 sets of 14" 4x98mm wheels from vintage Fiats. Do you know what the offset of your wheels is? I ws afraid that the caliper or strut would interfere with going with a smaller wheel.

thanks,
Arman
I think they are +38 But I'm not 100% on that. My wheels are actually 4x 100 with wobble bolts. There is plenty of room for the brakes etc.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do like the sport wheels, though I'd consider a swap for the pop alloys and tires. I'm going to look into the suspension elements so that if I get ambitious I'll know what I need in the way of parts. I'll also try to get a drive in a pop, just to revisit the ride difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you need a set of lounge springs, hit me up. I just installed H&R springs in my Gucci, which is just a lounge with the gucci package on it. I had less than 100 miles on my car before I replaced them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gregc,

Thanks. I am still trying to get clear info as to whether or not it is springs, or shocks or both. My guess is shocks, but I haven't had time to really dig into it.

But the offer is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It's two factors for my Lounge. Going to the H&R spring made it firmer. Adding a 16 inch sport wheel made it a lot firmer. Going back to 15's in the winter makes it bearable again. My dealer said the Sport suspension set up has different part numbers from the Lounge. Hope that helps you decide.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks lorvar. I'm going to go in to the studio in person and see if we can go through the part numbers. What surprised me is that when I spoke to the studio service person about two weeks ago, he was not aware that there was a difference btw the suspension on the pop & lounge, and the sport.

Some mild cause for concern on my end.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
gregc,

Thanks. I am still trying to get clear info as to whether or not it is springs, or shocks or both. My guess is shocks, but I haven't had time to really dig into it.

But the offer is appreciated.
If you're talking about the difference between Sport and Pop/Lounge, it's both...springs and shocks are different.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just following up here. I spoke with my studio parts person today and asked about the sport vs pop or lounge suspension. He told, again, that the part numbers are the same and that the only difference between them is the wheel and tire size. 16" / 45 series vs 15"/ 55 series tires. Hmmm.

Could one of our fiat insiders confirm or correct this information? Just seems very different from what I remember reading, and being told. Or input from anyone who feels they have solid info on this question.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Just following up here. I spoke with my studio parts person today and asked about the sport vs pop or lounge suspension. He told, again, that the part numbers are the same and that the only difference between them is the wheel and tire size. 16" / 45 series vs 15"/ 55 series tires. Hmmm.

Could one of our fiat insiders confirm or correct this information? Just seems very different from what I remember reading, and being told. Or input from anyone who feels they have solid info on this question.

Thanks all.
Send a PM to F500 . He has access to the Mopar/Fiat/Chrysler parts system.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gents,

Odd indeed, and yes; what is the deal? I'm a bit confused about the 'sport tuned suspension' but only a little. I really just want to understand, correctly, what the difference really is. In the final moments of my shopping, I drove a sport at length, and a pop very briefly, and I believe that I remember a difference in the softness between the two cars. I love my sport but I would like a more compliant ride and I would give up some of the crispness of the sport model to get the additional comfort. That is why I'm trying to get the correct information on the difference between the components on the different models. My own modifications would be to get a bit more softness in the ride of my car.

I'm not trying to hang FIAT out to dry or pin them to the wall on their promotion of the various models. I do want to know what the difference is in the suspension components, or conversely, I want to know if there is no difference. If the difference is just wheel and tire size, then fine.

I am a bit concerned that my charming parts person did not know that there was a difference; not knowing is different than there actually being no difference.

Anyhow, all good input on this is genuinely appreciated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.