Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a hobby, my Wife enjoys driving around Philadelphia looking for potholes worthy enough to launch our 2014 500 Sport (manual) into. As a result I have noticed an occasional "clunk" when going over bumps. Nothing drastic, but definitely a new sound.

Turning the wheel back and forth when parked will produce a slight "knock". I see this is a common issue as a service bulliten was issued suggesting it may be a steering intermediate shaft issue. Is it possible the two issues are related? How serious is this... Can I have her operate the car safely until I can get it into the studio next week? The car tracks and operates fine otherwise... it's just the sound that brought this problem to my attention.

Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im on a same issue. Just replaced control arm last weekend, and left side suspension si stong, still geting that knock over potholes and when you turn the wheel. Will try inspectig soon.

Report if happen to visit the studio. Thanks

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
As a hobby, my Wife enjoys driving around Philadelphia looking for potholes worthy enough to launch our 2014 500 Sport (manual) into. As a result I have noticed an occasional "clunk" when going over bumps. Nothing drastic, but definitely a new sound.

Turning the wheel back and forth when parked will produce a slight "knock". I see this is a common issue as a service bulliten was issued suggesting it may be a steering intermediate shaft issue. Is it possible the two issues are related? How serious is this... Can I have her operate the car safely until I can get it into the studio next week? The car tracks and operates fine otherwise... it's just the sound that brought this problem to my attention.

Thank you!
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
FiatCares

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's the intermediate steering shaft for sure. My 2012 Abarth already had it replaced once under warranty and it needs to be replaced again because apparently it's a know issue that it goes out often if you make a lot of turns since its at such a sharp angle going through the floor. It puts excessive amounts of strain on the shaft and joint.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If car is out of warranty try spraying white lithium grease in the shaft (just up from the driver's floor). The joint and shaft are plainly visible.

Also do a search there are many old posts on this.

Reactions: First500

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
FiatCares
THANK YOU ALISON!

We just set up a studio appointment for next week.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's the intermediate steering shaft for sure. My 2012 Abarth already had it replaced once under warranty and it needs to be replaced again because apparently it's a know issue that it goes out often if you make a lot of turns since its at such a sharp angle going through the floor. It puts excessive amounts of strain on the shaft and joint.
My aunt's 2014 Abarth must be having the same issue. It is intermittent though and she usually hears the knock on sharp left turns. Gonna take a look at it after we finished installing the headache rack and tonneau cover on uncle's Silverado.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts