• Mobil 1 or equivelant

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Regular Motor Oil

Votes: 6 27.3%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I just picked mine up. should I have gotten that?
Check your paperwork. Cars purchased on 3 Jan or later do NOT have the 3 year maintenance included at no charge. It should state in the paperwork you received from the dealer at time of purchase as to YES or NO.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Agreed, at that time I am likely to go with blend or full syn, not decided yet but since there has been some discussion already I am thinking blend from the combination of the discussions had thus far.
My dealer has Pennzoil Ultimate, full synthetic as an upgrade for $30, which isn't bad as 4 quart jug of extended life (6 mo or 10,000 mi) Amsoil is about the same price.

Still on the fence, like you think maybe after 3/36 runs out.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I missed the cut off. The dealer did offer me my first oil change free. So I was looking for input on if I should go synthetic.
It seems pretty split between dino and synthetic oil as to which should be used or is offered by different dealers, manual states dino and some dealers offer only dino, others offering synthetic so my thoughts are use the free changes and once they are done switch to a blend so I end up with the best of both worlds, likely that I will simply go with full Mobil 1 synthetic though in around 2 & 1/2 yrs, guess we shall see once more time has passed and further time passes with results from the different oils people have used. I'd much rather base my decision off the users results here than the either or choices being made by different dealers currently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok-so-those of you wiating for "free" maintenance to expire, if I understand it correctly, it is 4 changes whenever you like split between 36k-are you going to run your dino 9k evenly for the 4? I have seen other posts about oil quality, etc and THIS subject is hotly debated on every automotive forum out there. I personally use Mobil 1 in everything-.my 05 MINI S gets it changed at 5k, and I run the snot out of that car-it sees redline at least once every time I drive it. My wifes Acura TSX, otoh, goes 160 miles a day on freeways-so-it gets the M1 changed out at 8k intervals as it doesn't sit and idle much and never sees hard driving. oil is cheaper than engine repairs-I would not trust dino to go 9k in either a hot or very cold climate

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
ok-so-those of you wiating for "free" maintenance to expire, if I understand it correctly, it is 4 changes whenever you like split between 36k-are you going to run your dino 9k evenly for the 4? I have seen other posts about oil quality, etc and THIS subject is hotly debated on every automotive forum out there. I personally use Mobil 1 in everything-.my 05 MINI S gets it changed at 5k, and I run the snot out of that car-it sees redline at least once every time I drive it. My wifes Acura TSX, otoh, goes 160 miles a day on freeways-so-it gets the M1 changed out at 8k intervals as it doesn't sit and idle much and never sees hard driving. oil is cheaper than engine repairs-I would not trust dino to go 9k in either a hot or very cold climate
I've had my oil changed twice by the dealer. today I hot 7600 miles. Since the engines says when to change it, usually around 4k. Every change is included to 36k miles. Once done I'll be going to RP 0-20

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The recommended change interval is maximum 6 months or 8,000 miles. However, the in-car computer may initiate the oil change reminder at the 4,000 mile mark depending on driving habits. The dealer will change the oil based on the computer message or max time/mileage limits at no charge.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that the manufacturer of the engine would not knowingly recommend oil change engine intervals which would be detrimental to their engine. And I do believe they do extensive chemical and mechanical testing before making their oil/filter change recommendations. YMMV

Reactions: sjmst

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
How many miles before I can switch?
You DO realize these questions are like talking about politics and religion, YES?:)

My opinion (and you'll get a LOT of them) is that you can change at the initial oil change (which a lot of people do at 1-3,000 miles) without any problems. You'll probably get varying opinions ranging from doing a short mileage change after changing to synthetic (to finish flushing out the old dino oil) to just doing normal change intervals after the initial changeover.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts