Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I took delivery a very short 1100 miles ago I have noticed that both tail lights get condensation in the upper outer corners after rain or a car wash. Is anyone else having this issue? I can't believe hat this would be "normal"!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Definitely not normal - I'd say the gaskets around the lights weren't installed properly. It should be a warranty repair.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just surprises me it's BOTH lights. I may take a peek behind the lights to see if anything sticks out like a sore thumb - dealer isn't exactly "around the corner."

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I had that issue with my driver's side tail light. Had it replaced under warranty last spring.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had that issue with my driver's side tail light. Had it replaced under warranty last spring.
Looks like this will be item number one listed under complaints/problems. I also have the chirping/squeeking heater fan at low speed. Sigh.... well, if they were perfect off the line what fun would they be eh?? :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No condensation in my tail lamps. No chirping/squeaking blower motor, on my car. Don't have anything to complain about. Just love driving it.
Good to hear my issues are not "fleet wide". I'll post an update when I consult the dealer in reference to my issues. BUT let me pose this question - Being that it will be spring before my first oil change - is there any reason to visit the dealer sooner than later to remedy the above mentioned?Should I jump on it now or wait?

On a positive note - the only interior rattles to speak of are emanating from my son's car seat when unoccupied. I'm going to have to get back there and make with some some sound proofing!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Let me pose this question - Being that it will be spring before my first oil change - is there any reason to visit the dealer sooner than later to remedy the above mentioned?Should I jump on it now or wait?
Here's my question in reply to your question:

Exactly how much does the issue bother you?

If it bothers you a whole bunch, then take it back, and have them fix the issue.
If it bothers you only slightly, then you can pop off the tail lights yourself, dry them out with a hair dryer, put some vaseline on the seals, and bolt everything back together.
If it doesn't bother you at all, then you wouldn't have posted on this forum about this issue.

BC.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's my question in reply to your question:

Exactly how much does the issue bother you?

If it bothers you a whole bunch, then take it back, and have them fix the issue.
If it bothers you only slightly, then you can pop off the tail lights yourself, dry them out with a hair dryer, put some vaseline on the seals, and bolt everything back together.
If it doesn't bother you at all, then you wouldn't have posted on this forum about this issue.

BC.

And I'll pose this conundrum to you in response to your question. Could I have worded my question any more vaguely? :p

What I'd like to try and avoid is the dealership refusing to repalce the tail lamps if they get funky from months of condensation. At that point simply stopping the condensation from occouring would not appease me. I'm off this Friday and the weather looks clear - maybe I'll go pop them out and take a peek. I'll post any findings with pics of course. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
I for one have had a few problems within the first 4 weeks... Weird bubbles on the rear badge... condensation on the rear lights, improperly mounted rear marker light near driver rear wheel, when I placed mudflaps, moved plastic lower rain guard and noticed a piece of plastic .. broken off. Radio trim was loose, door trim was loose.. Hope this is not the begining of a poorly made car..

·
Registered
825 Posts
Mine has been pretty much error-free, just the clock issue and the loose door hinge. Mine is one of the earlier ones.

Taillight condensation is a problem, but it's also pretty common among manufacturers, I'd guess. Of the eight cars I've owned, four have had taillight/headlight dirt or condensation issues. The only dealer who balked was a GM dealer - I had to get the manufacturer involved to resolve that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What I'd like to try and avoid is the dealership refusing to replace the tail lamps if they get funky from months of condensation. At that point simply stopping the condensation from occurring would not appease me. I'm off this Friday and the weather looks clear - maybe I'll go pop them out and take a peek. I'll post any findings with pics of course. :D
Nope, they won't be able to tell you that they can't replace the lights under warranty because they got funky because of a manufacturing defect. The fact that they got funky because of water getting into them because of a manufacturing defect basically proves that they were obviously defective, doesn't it?

Its also a safety hazard at that point.

BC.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two comments: 1 - Condensation is 100% unacceptable in a tail light. 2 - People that want to take good care of a car do not use an automated car wash.
1 - Agreed! 2 - When I made mention of a car wash, I absolutely meant manual hand washing by myself. I have never and will never pay money for an automated machine to ruin my clearcoat.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I also HAVE same issue, both tail lights with condensations. they go away after few days but I already mentioned this matter to my dealership and they know it. So, when I am so bored or gets my nerve or something, I will get them changed.

About the weird bubbles on Fiat emblems front and back, I had them changed to the perfect ones from the dealer. Rear ones are easy to change but for the front ones, they had to take the whole bumper out to change the emblems. Just fyi.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I had my driver's side taillight replaced under warranty due to condensation.
I do still notice a little bit in both lights during heavy rain.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I wash my car in automated carwashes during the winter months, and had condensation in my tail lights prior to doing so. It's a tiny bit of vapor in the top corner of the lens. I don't care. I've had enough previous cars with the same problem and frankly, it's not enough to bother with. While I'll certainly hold Fiat to the fire if I have serious issues, (and I never have) something as small as some condensation in a light isn't something worth it IMO. It's a little car with a base price of 16k. If I spent 50-70k on a car, I'd be a little miffed (prob still wouldn't care) but driving a price point car, you have to have some give.

I don't want to be that guy standing in line at payless shoes because my $15 pair of sneakers had messy stitching.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.