Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a weird thing happen this morning. Driving down the road, the temp guage suddenly flashes to full range, the engine temp idiot light flashes on at the same time and within about 1/2 second everything returns to normal readings. I pulled over and checked that the cooling system was not leaking, and that everything seemed to be working OK. Continued on my way with no further problems. Anyone had this happen to them??

My car has almost 11,000 miles on it with no other "problems" to date.

JPF

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The ECU may need to be reflashed.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Had a weird thing happen this morning. Driving down the road, the temp guage suddenly flashes to full range, the engine temp idiot light flashes on at the same time and within about 1/2 second everything returns to normal readings. I pulled over and checked that the cooling system was not leaking, and that everything seemed to be working OK. Continued on my way with no further problems. Anyone had this happen to them??

My car has almost 11,000 miles on it with no other "problems" to date.

JPF
JP Furble: It could be any of those problems, but I agree with Tweak, I recommend having a studio check it out just to be sure. It could be nothing, it could be something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem is there is not a studio within 500 miles of me, so just dropping by to have it checked out is not really an option. Thanks for the input anyway.

JPF

·
Registered
513 Posts
Your car needs a flash. The problem is as of my last visit for service (@2 weeks) the flash was not yet available. I have 2 FIATs that this same thing has happened to. They, FIAT, know there's an issue and are working on the fix. It only applies to certain models According to my studio.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
My problem is there is not a studio within 500 miles of me, so just dropping by to have it checked out is not really an option. Thanks for the input anyway. JPF
That'll certainly make it more difficult, BlueStreak confirms the visit to the studio for a flash to the cars computer will at some point be required.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I just had that happen on my commute home. I called dealership, they said to monitor it and have it checked out sooner, than later. I'm a little worried about my commute in tomorrow. Should I be?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Yes, I just had that happen on my commute home. I called dealership, they said to monitor it and have it checked out sooner, than later. I'm a little worried about my commute in tomorrow. Should I be?
Welcome to the forum, I'd take it easy and see the service center as soon as possible to be 100% sure what's going on there, perhaps a glitch that isn't an actual problem but as is said better safe then sorry. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem happen to me once a few weeks ago. It has not re-occurred since. Was a bit baffling, but have driven a bunch since then (including some hard driving) and have not had any more issues with it...

My car has about 16800 miles on it right now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen when I dropped to third to overtake about 2 years ag. by the time I was out in the oncoming lane, the temp gauge was in the middle again and it has never happened again in 4 years 50K miles.

almost certainly a bubble and a fluke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts