Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I made a right turn onto a side road off a highway at approx 15 mph. As I completed the turn the engine cutout and my Temperature light came on. The information center displayed "Temperature stop and turn engine off". As quickly as it happened it all went away and everything seemed fine. I didn't pull over, I didn't turn it off, I just kept on going. I checked my the Temp gauge and it was just under 1/2 way. Temp outside was 28F and it warmed up about 15 minutes before I started driving. Weird....

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Today I made a right turn onto a side road off a highway at approx 15 mph. As I completed the turn the engine cutout and my Temperature light came on. The information center displayed "Temperature stop and turn engine off". As quickly as it happened it all went away and everything seemed fine. I didn't pull over, I didn't turn it off, I just kept on going. I checked my the Temp gauge and it was just under 1/2 way. Temp outside was 28F and it warmed up about 15 minutes before I started driving. Weird.... Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I haven't had this happen but Fig told me almost the exact same thing happened to him just a few days ago...makes me wonder the specifics of the internal layout of the cooling system of the 500 and how increased lateral Gs are affecting it.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I'd take it in and have it looked at. Probably nothing, a bad sensors. Cold outside too. Check to see if you have enough coolant, in you recovery container, under the hood. Maybe air in the coolant system. Needs to be bleed.

My right front tire sensor, aways says I low on pressure, when its really cold. The pressure is right in the tire. Strange.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Today I made a right turn onto a side road off a highway at approx 15 mph. As I completed the turn the engine cutout and my Temperature light came on. The information center displayed "Temperature stop and turn engine off". As quickly as it happened it all went away and everything seemed fine. I didn't pull over, I didn't turn it off, I just kept on going. I checked my the Temp gauge and it was just under 1/2 way. Temp outside was 28F and it warmed up about 15 minutes before I started driving. Weird....

Funny I was telling Tweak the other day what happened. I was taking a left. How many miles are on your car? Same exact thing happened to me...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny I was telling Tweak the other day what happened. I was taking a left. How many miles are on your car? Same exact thing happened to me...

Mileage was at 9550 at time of incident. I didn't understand it. It was like a really hard downshift. I knew that couldn't be as I was not driving in Sport mode. I will call the shop and see what they say. If they want to check it out I will take it down to them. But if they say it was a fluke I'll wait for it to happen again...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the club

Silverghost started a thread called Odd Power Drop, that I think shows LOTS of Fiats have this same Power Drop - False Temp Warning issue. I mentioned this in Silverghost's thread. Still have not seen the re-flash fix. Will post if it comes out and it fixes the #@!~% thing.

I have that same issue with my Pop cabrio. Has been happening for 3 months now. Basically, I will be driving along, usually on the freeway, and the power will cut out. The dash flashes the engine temp thing, says to stop the engine. It only lasts for a couple seconds and then full power is restored.

I worked with my dealer mechanic when this first happened. He actually gave me a big diagnostic box with a thick cable that plugged into the underside of the dash. Pull the cap on that thing to the left of the steering wheel and you'll see the connection port. The box captures the engine sensor info and also what the ECU is doing. I captured the 'bug' a couple times and gave them the box back. The mechanic said there was, at that time, another guy in Michigan that had the same issue.

Originally, I understood there would be an new flash for the ECU to fix this bug in November, but was at the dealer today to get some touch up paint and the mechanic says December for the fix.

So... you are not crazy, but, assuming we have the same bug, the fix is not out yet.

P.S. It happens, for me, about once every longer trip, like one over 20 minutes. If you want to confirm, call my studio, Fiat of Brookdale and ask for Justin in the service department.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got off the phone with Jeff, Service manager at Northside FIAT Indy, he said something about Rapid Response and the computer needs to be flashed. So as soon as I can get to the dealer I'll have it done. Nothing to worry about he said so it will be 2 weeks before I can make it. Service guys only work every other Saturday.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me in a rental 500 Pop, but only after a long day of driving I-5, doing highway speeds. Shut her off, switched it back on...No issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think we had just gone around a curve, but something went crazy with my temp gauge this weekend. My husband was driving us around, and the temp gauge went all the way up, the car dinged a buzzer at us, and a message in the dash said the car was overheating. Almost immediately, the temp gauge went back to normal, and the message disappeared. We were coasting down a hill, so I don't know if we lost power. Less than 3000 miles on the car...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think we had just gone around a curve, but something went crazy with my temp gauge this weekend. My husband was driving us around, and the temp gauge went all the way up, the car dinged a buzzer at us, and a message in the dash said the car was overheating. Almost immediately, the temp gauge went back to normal, and the message disappeared. We were coasting down a hill, so I don't know if we lost power. Less than 3000 miles on the car...
I would take it into the service dept. If the flash works that should fix it. Our service manager says this is the fix. I wish I knew for sure because I'm gonna drive 2 hours one way for a 30 minute appt. So I sure hope it works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, I made an appt for an oil change this weekend (only 3000 miles, but I've had the car six months, so it's probably time) and mentioned it, they said they'd check it out. I was really worried when it happened because we were driving 400+ miles home the next day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem, I even videoed it and gave it to the FIAT dealer mechanic. They said nothing is wrong. But as soon as I got it back
it started again. Posted it on YOUTUBE under "[h=1]FIAT 500 POP DANGEROUS PROBLEM![/h]

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey Ron, check that your ground cable is securely attached to the negative battery post. See if you can lift it off by hand. You shouldn't be able to. I once or twice had my car stall coming to a stop and when it did it displayed some peculiarities such as yours. It was the ground clamp. I replaced it with a cam locking type from autozone after first trying to sort out the stock clamp. The stock ground clamps don't fit the batteries very well. Range of clamping is limited and it never seemed to hold tight. You can also insert a shim between post and clamp as a temporary measure. If this is it, please post back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts