Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, bought a TeslaTap for my garage, but made the conversion to a regular 240V from my Tesla charge port. So I'm getting rid of it. Hardly used. $200 normally, asking $130+shipping.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
That allows you to use a private Tesla charger (home, hotel, etc) for a 500e, but not a public Tesla brand charger like a Supercharger, right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure that’s correct. I only used it at home so not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
433 Posts
My question is how does one use a Tesla destination chargers ? I thought you had to pay for those and obviously if you don’t have a Tesla no sure how it gets charged.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My question is how does one use a Tesla destination chargers ? I thought you had to pay for those and obviously if you don’t have a Tesla no sure how it gets charged.
They are private chargers owned and operated by businesses (hotels, restaurants, parking garages, etc) for the convenience of their customers. Tesla subsidizes the charger installation. They are simply Level 2 chargers with a Tesla plug. They are simple chargers with no capability for billing and anybody can plug in and use them for free. However, the business that owns the charger might not like it if you are not their customer.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
433 Posts
They are private chargers owned and operated by businesses (hotels, restaurants, parking garages, etc) for the convenience of their customers. Tesla subsidizes the charger installation. They are simply Level 2 chargers with a Tesla plug. They are simple chargers with no capability for billing and anybody can use them with an adapter for free. However, the business might not like it if you are not their customer.
Ahh so they are free? I see them at lots of hotels I’ve stayed at but none for my J1772 😔

my huge pet peeve is Tesla owners who have Tesla specific chargers nearby and they tend to use the J1772 and this would be like a good middle finger to those guys if you see my Fiat park they’re charging at a Tesla charger ha.

Another pet peeve of mine is people who drive EV that works at malls leaving their car all day at the free Volta chargers tees me off a bit, I know they work there because the same car is there all the time in same spot with always a full charge and no one near it.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
Ya I've seen a lot of that, especially with PHEVs. I know they take a long time to charge, but please move when you're finally done!

Fortunately, when I'm public charging I usually use the time to catch up online while I wait right there, so I can almost always just double-park if I'm blocked out.

Fiat is so small that one time I parked in a little blank spot to be completely out of everyone's way. A security guard finally came over to tell me to move, & I had just started explaining that I had no choice since a gas car was illegally blocking me, when its owner appeared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts