Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people haven't got the message yet, and this video clearly shows one person who paid the price for it and took others with them. Yea the person filming was also driving, but at least he kept his eyes on the road. I sure hope everyone is ok from that accident. The minutes you spend pulled over safely to talk/text could prevent a collision like this...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Don't use your phone in the car! Just don't!

Last summer, I was almost wiped out by a phone user. I was driving the interstate during rush-hour. Traffic was doing the using stop-accelerate-slow down-accelerate-stop with periods of a few minutes at a time where traffic would reach 50-60mph.

We got to one of the stopped parts and I'm somewhat paranoid on the highway when it stops like that. Sure enough, we're all stopped and coming up fast in my rear mirror is a woman doing about 60mph, looking into and yelling into her phone. She was that close, I could see her lips moving.

My thought was, honestly, "Well, it's been a good life. I hope my wife knows I love her."

At the last second, she looked up, saw the stopped traffic and the look of terror on her face was unmistakeable. She swerved to miss me (I was in the left-most lane), just kissing the left-rear bumper of my car, side-swiped the concrete median, then swerved back to the right, into stopped traffic, affecting at least four cars (maybe more).

Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. But that's why my phone goes off when it's in the car, no exceptions. None.

Ryan

·
Registered
614 Posts
Texting and using a handheld device while driving should be punishable at the same level as a driving under the influence.

Until that day, expect continued nonsense from morons who probably aren't great drivers without a distraction. Risking the well being of others on the road is not an option.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Texting and driving is just as distracting as eating and driving, or applying make-up, playing with new cars entertainment systems, adding an address to your GPS, looking at the accident on the other side of the road, etc etc. Where do you draw the line?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm thinking this guy was drunk.

Or having some sort of medical emergency. I've witnessed texters doing stupid stuff but they usually wisen up after the first near miss (or hit). This seemed to go on for too long.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Insanity.

A guy up here in Boston was killed in a single car wreck driving into a tree while talking on the cell phone to his Dad who owns a cell phone store. Tragic.

I will not talk on a hand held cell phone or text while driving, period. I tell my wife and kids over and over -absolutely no texting while driving and refrain from talking on cell phone while driving too. I know they don't refrain 100%-genetic weakness I think. Scares the bejeezus out of me. I have hands-free bluetooth in both my driver cars and I keep the talk to a minimum ( I hate cell phones anyways). My wife has bluetooth in her car too, but never uses it....( "too complicated"....).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Or having some sort of medical emergency. I've witnessed texters doing stupid stuff but they usually wisen up after the first near miss (or hit). This seemed to go on for too long.
+1 It went on and on too long. He was drinking or smoking some funny stuff...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
A couple of days ago a 18 year old teen was sentenced to 2 years in prison(and lost his license for 15 years) after he caused a head-on collision that killed the other driver. Said teen was texting right up to the point of impact. He was the 1st person to be convicted under the Massachusette "driving while texting law",which went into effect in September 2010.

·
Registered
12,609 Posts
A couple of days ago a 18 year old teen was sentenced to 2 years in prison(and lost his license for 15 years) after he caused a head-on collision that killed the other driver. Said teen was texting right up to the point of impact. He was the 1st person to be convicted under the Massachusette "driving while texting law",which went into effect in September 2010.

Only 2 years in prison, for killing someone. I'd cut his hands off, like in the old days, if he hurt someone in my family.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I do like the hands-free function in the FIAT. And the fact my 'cento takes over the phone the moment my key is in the ignition is even better. But, even then, conversations (via phone or onboard) can be distracting. Stop-n-Go traffic is intense. Seeing another driver texting or talking with their phone in-hand is a scary prospect.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I do like the hands-free function in the FIAT. And the fact my 'cento takes over the phone the moment my key is in the ignition is even better. But, even then, conversations (via phone or onboard) can be distracting. Stop-n-Go traffic is intense. Seeing another driver texting or talking with their phone in-hand is a scary prospect.
agree. i definitely lose at least a little focus on my driving when im talking to someone, whether they are in the car or via bluetooth.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Several years ago, my wife and I passed a lady who was reading a novel while driving on the highway...
I see that every day; books, magazines, papers, etc. I commute on my bike to/from work so while I am hyper aware of my surroundings it still amazes me what I see people in their cars doing every day. Just the other day I was riding next to a girl who had her phone between her shoulder and her ear talking and she was eating a bowl of cereal holding the bowl in one hand and the spoon in the other while trying to drive with her knees!

I'm not exaggerating when I say I have a near hit on my bike at least once a day either on my commute to work or from it by someone on their phone. I've been swerved into by vehicles, almost hit head on, almost t-boned riding through an intersection where I have green, etc.

Texas also loves to use Yield signs at nearly every intersection which of course means GO, so even when there is an actual traffic light or stop sign, drivers treat them as "yield" signs. :(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
... I was riding next to a girl who had her phone between her shoulder and her ear talking and she was eating a bowl of cereal holding the bowl in one hand and the spoon in the other while trying to drive with her knees!
ROFL. Multitasking....

I was behind someone yesterday that swirved outside her lane a few times, bumped the curb slightly, then swirved back outside the lanes. I followed her around 2 miles thinking she was DRUNK, when I got a chance I flew by her....A phone was in her hand, she was holding it on the wheel in front of her. Probably texting....

I talk on the phone and drive. But don't text... It's hard enough to read a text, too hard text back on a touch screen. On my old Nokia Brick I could text without looking. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts