Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto part Car Vehicle Speedometer City car

BAM. 100 miles into the tank. I've managed to stay out of town though. heh. I've been averaging 43ish

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Best I can get with the auto is 43.5, but the way we both drive, it's usually 32

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't mean to be skeptical, but how is the displayed mpg detected? Is there a device that measures how much fuel is injected or burned during a span of time like 1 second or a moment? Or during the travel of one mile? I've read about things like speedometers showing a speed a little faster than the actual speed of the car. Display screens of things like cellphones showing a full battery charge, when it really went to full, then a little under full for precaution reasons.

Again, I'm not trying to question everything for the sake of it. It may seem like it after reading my posts about the Fiat studio I went to. I'm actually curious about this. That would be the word for it. Or if this is going off the topic, I can start a new one.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I don't mean to be skeptical, but how is the displayed mpg detected? Is there a device that measures how much fuel is injected or burned during a span of time like 1 second or a moment? Or during the travel of one mile? I've read about things like speedometers showing a speed a little faster than the actual speed of the car. Display screens of things like cellphones showing a full battery charge, when it really went to full, then a little under full for precaution reasons.

Again, I'm not trying to question everything for the sake of it. It may seem like it after reading my posts about the Fiat studio I went to. I'm actually curious about this. That would be the word for it. Or if this is going off the topic, I can start a new one.
Well, I reset mine while I'm driving just to see how it calculates. After about 30 seconds I get a reading, so I think it's based on distance, accelerator position and fuel consumption, which are all constantly monitored.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i got 48+ on my whole first tank..over 480 miles, so it wasnt just a stretch of road.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I keep a record of my actual tank fills and mileage at ecomodder.com and the dash readout is very consistent to what I am documenting taking the fuel reciept and the odometer as gospel.

That being said, I may be off however because I think my speedometer/odometer might be a touch fast.

I need to compare the speedo with the gps and see how far, if any, I am off.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've eased up a bit on the throttle and am averaging about 35mpg. Up from 30-31. If I'm driving down long country roads for a while, I can see 50+mpg no problem. Considering my daily commute and all the in town driving I do, I really don't think it would be possible to see over 40mpg average on a full tank. Also I just can't keep out of the fast lane. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
How are you guys getting such great gas mileage? I do about half-city/half-highway, and I average about 24 mpg. I'm not a super heavy accelerator, and I don't use sport mode. Even my husband is confused as to why my gas mileage isn't better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How are you guys getting such great gas mileage? I do about half-city/half-highway, and I average about 24 mpg. I'm not a super heavy accelerator, and I don't use sport mode. Even my husband is confused as to why my gas mileage isn't better.
I've never topped 28 average. No highway driving since I bought it exactly one month ago.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts