Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argggghh! My car was spotted on a railcar in Texarkana this time last week. Found out today that it's now passing through Toledo. Presumably, it's on its way to Detroit for the engine (my guess).

Still no real ETA. When the dealer gave me the update last week, I jumped to the conclusion that it was on it's way to me, ready to go. Now more waiting. I don't like waiting. I hate waiting.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The downside of ordering one. You get exactly what you want, but have to wait. The dealer told me it would take 12 weeks if I were to spec one out myself. I was incredibly lucky to find the exact car I wanted on the lot at the other dealership in town.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just hoping it doesn't get to Detroit and then sit. And sit. And sit some more. Apparently, it didn't take that long to build it at the factory in Mexico. I have a short road trip in mid-May - I want to take my FIAT!

Ryan

·
Registered
131 Posts
You think your wait is bad, my last car before the Fiat was a factory order and there was a waiting list...I had to wait for 8 months before I got the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The engine gets assembled in Michigan, Ryan, but then send (way) South, where it is fitted into the car in the plant in Mexico. Detroit area is likely a Fiat distribution hub, where your 500 gets put on a truck for the quick ride down to Columbus ... !

As a similar example, my '09 Accord was assembled in Marysville, OH (with an engine built in Anna, OH fitted to a transmission built in the Philippines, then fitted to the car in Marysville) then sent to Detroit area on one truck (Honda distribution center), and back down to Columbus on a different truck where I bought is ... crazy, no ?!?!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the clarification, Einy. I check in with the dealer every Monday, I'm hoping it's on the truck heading south at that point.

I've been on here only a couple of weeks, but I've already learned quite a bit. The downside is that when I first ordered it, I wasn't in that big of a hurry. But now, seeing all the photos and reading all the other posts, I want mine, haha.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
from what I understand, there are storage areas in the U.S., where the cars are shipped from Mexico to be held until such time they are to be shipped to the FIAT Studio. I know there is one such area in Ohio and another in the St Louis area.

with so many Studios not open yet, this is where their cars are being kept until they're ready to open for business. those of you still waiting on Primas, you car is probably sitting in one of these facilities awaiting the ok to ship to your Studio OR if you choose an alternate Studio from which to take delivery, they will ship it to them.

as someone else posted, when the cars leave Toluca, they are COMPLETE. :)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
You think your wait is bad, my last car before the Fiat was a factory order and there was a waiting list...I had to wait for 8 months before I got the car.
this is nothing. when the smart car hit the U.S. market, the waiting lists was 18 MONTHS LONG. but due to cancelations, it quickly dropped to only 8-10 months. :rolleyes:

NOW, about 3 years later, they can't GIVE THEM AWAY.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I had to wait for my Pop to come in, while cars loaded with options seemed to flood into the dealership. I didn't see a model with steel wheels until mine. My guess is that they want early motivated buyers to encounter higher-priced versions. This notion of "waiting-list" is a fictionalized construct, like "inventory price". Everything is done so as to maximize profit. That is how they decide where a vehicle gets placed in the queue.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Studio where I ordered mine opened Apr 1st, so that's encouraging. Hoping for some good news tomorrow, my weekly check-in.

Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts