Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manual

Votes: 5 100.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a very sticky situation given the extreme price increase in used cars. In my area, there are very few low mileage Fiat 500s (and MINIs) on the market. Although, I found a perfect 500 turbo but, it is automatic :( The next best option is also a 500 turbo however it is manual and $2000 MORE than the asking price for the automatic. The day has come where manuals cost more than automatics. I REALLY prefer manual tranmissions. Should I just get the automatic turbo, is it enjoyable?

·
Registered
910 Posts
You can shift the automatic. It’s just that there’s no clutch.

·
Registered
13,510 Posts
The automatic vehicles, always cost more money then any manual ones. The automatic transmission cars, are worth more at resale too. Auto manufacturers have moved away from manual transmission cars for year. Fuel efficient 8-9 speed automatics, Dual clutch paddle shifters, and CVT. With EV’s becoming more popular, only single speed.

When Fiat introduced the automatic six speed transmission, on the Abarth Model. That vehicle is only 7/10 second slower, 0-60 mph. You can put the automatic gear selector gate, into short. Shift like a manual, with out the 3rd Pedal.

It’s A shame fiat, didn’t offer the automatics paddle shifters on the 500 here like theEuropean ones.

I’ve been driving my automatic 500, for 10 years now. Glad I made that choice. Row gears can be fun on twisty back road. Not in rush hour grid lock.

There are plenty of Fiat 500’s on the market…..

·
Registered
2013 Pop, manual, Abarth springs, kyb gas a just rear, zonker short shot air filter, Sprint booster
207 Posts
The automatic is an aisin 6 speed and works well but it is still a torque converter. It does not rev match downshifts, like 2015+ 500L (also Aisin 6sp, i believe). The character and sound of 500T is really good and is more controlable in manual which is very nice since it sounds so cool. The automatic is close but again it has that bit of cvt feel/sound/character. If i got the auto, i would always want the manual. If i got the manual, i would never want the auto. I could "live" with either, but the manual, imo, is icing that completes that car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The automatic is an aisin 6 speed and works well but it is still a torque converter. It does not rev match downshifts, like 2015+ 500L (also Aisin 6sp, i believe). The character and sound of 500T is really good and is more controlable in manual which is very nice since it sounds so cool. The automatic is close but again it has that bit of cvt feel/sound/character. If i got the auto, i would always want the manual. If i got the manual, i would never want the auto. I could "live" with either, but the manual, imo, is icing that completes that car.
Exactly! Everytime I would get in the automatic car I would be thinking of how it could be 10 times better as a manual!

·
Registered
2013 Pop, manual, Abarth springs, kyb gas a just rear, zonker short shot air filter, Sprint booster
207 Posts
Such a shame most do not see it same way and feel automatic benefits outweigh. I used to feel automatic better in stop go traffic but now I prefer manual. When manual, i put into neutral a lot and let out clutch, then double clutch and rev match if need, otherwise come to near full stop for 1st. I don't need to ne always riding on the brake to prevent automatic "creep" and if driving dual clutch auto, need be timing it so not riding clutch.... Drove the Alfa 4C a bit and that is one auto I don't mind and maybe prefer in that particular car. Some criticize the 4c for a lot of things but imo, they do so because they really do not understand or are able to process how quick everything happens in that car. That car has a super stiff body that is short and relatively wide and combined with super light, super low cg, mass centralized with near 911 weight distribution and very flat cornering, some find the handling not very communicative. But imo that is because things happen very quickly almost twitchy like. So its good to have two hands near the wheel and you need two hands because the steering jerks around if not assertive with it. I love Italian car because i believe these characteristics were well known to designers and engineers and they didn't dumb down the car so it will be acceptable to the masses. They target those who understand and appreciate, which is always fewer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in a very sticky situation given the extreme price increase in used cars. In my area, there are very few low mileage Fiat 500s (and MINIs) on the market. Although, I found a perfect 500 turbo but, it is automatic :( The next best option is also a 500 turbo however it is manual and $2000 MORE than the asking price for the automatic. The day has come where manuals cost more than automatics. I REALLY prefer manual tranmissions. Should I just get the automatic turbo, is it enjoyable?
If it's not going to break you... go ahead and spend the money. You may regret it for the next 5-8 years if you don't. I'm on my 3rd Fiat since 2012. This time a 2019 Abarth. I drove from Washington, DC to Knoxville TN just to get the manual transmission. That automatic stick... just looks silly, imo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's not going to break you... go ahead and spend the money. You may regret it for the next 5-8 years if you don't. I'm on my 3rd Fiat since 2012. This time a 2019 Abarth. I drove from Washington, DC to Knoxville TN just to get the manual transmission. That automatic stick... just looks silly, imo.
I ended up waiting and tommorow I am getting a manual 2013 fiat 500 turbo from Adesca (dealer connect) with 40,000kms ( 24,800 miles) for $3000 less than the 2015 turbo automatic. The turbo sounds so nice I might get a muffler delete.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts