Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so anyone who's driven a 500, notices straight away that turning you head to check to your left is only effective if you are trying to check if the 'B' pillar is still there. To try and remedy this situation Fiat added this deformed sudo-spotter wedge to the outside of the drivers side mirror. Problem is, the things only about as wide as a finger, and wasn't conducive for quick checks as I felt I needed to study its squashed up view...and at 75mph its just not a good idea to stare to the left.

There was a thread somewhere about the 'proper' way to setup your mirrors, which correctly shows how you can (and in their assessment) should skew the side mirror out so you see whats next to you and not the side of your car. I understand what they are talking about, however there are two issues with this. First, it doesn't help when you wife gets in the car since she doesn't want her mirrors that way, and also, there are times when it helps to be able to see the side of the car in tight fitting places. Finally one of the things they say is you shouldn't duplicate your rear view mirror by being able to see what behind you in the side mirror. Again, a somewhat true statement, but being in a 500c...I don't really have a rear view much of the time :cool:

So I blacked out the micro-wedge, and added an adjustable 2" spotter mirror. Now I keep my regular mirror pointed so I can see whats next to me (much like suggested in the article), but the spotter also shows the side of my car, and a good view behind me, which is lacking in the convertible. I do think I'd do the same in the hatchback as well though, since I just cant stand the factory mirror.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport. In our opinion, the blind spot problem is the most serious design flaw of the car, which otherwise we love. It's a wonderful city car that can out park just about anything but a Smart. The problem is the magnification of the supplied convex blind spot wedge is soooo negative that cars in the blind spot are really small when compared with objects in the regular flat mirror. You have to constantly be readjusting your focus and size-distance estimation. It really makes me nervous when my teenage kids want to drive the vehicle, because after several months of driving it, I myself am only now getting used to the blind spot mirror (and I still HATE it). One cannot change lanes with complete confidence.

We are looking into supplemental flat mirrors and/or interior mirrors like the windshield mounted Autobahn Blind Spot Mirror -- does anyone have any experience with these? There does not seem to be any Fiat fix for this problem -- ideally they would offer an optional active blind spot sensing system that would have an alert light in the mirror that warns that there is a vehicle in the blind spot.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The solution is to setup your mirror so you see in your "blind spot" with that big mirror. This means you wont see the side of your car, but you will see the lane next to your car very well. Then, as shown above, just add a larger round spotter for the wide view.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If you're seeing your own car in the mirror, that's the first error,lol

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
If you're seeing your own car in the mirror, that's the first error,lol
that's exactly what I was going to say. I don't need to see MY car, just the car next to me. in my 40 years of driving, I've NEVER ran into myself. :p

·
Registered
700 Posts
i just got this for a try...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190571869638?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

it really is a problem......never in all my cars have I had this big of a problem with that blind spot...

Im also disappointed to hear the new mirror on the 500's dosen't work.....i wanted one since its a safety improvement
but it was not available on my model

so will see how this works

if not satisfied in 30 days they give you a full refund....

·
Registered
75 Posts
As I said in another thread:

I actually thought the blind spot was join to be a big issue, and I do hate thay all I see when I look over my left shoulder is the B pillar, but the car is so short that with properly adjusted mirrors, there is no blind spot. I just have to get my head to realize that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also adjust my mirrors on my truck so I don't really see my truck itself. And I have it so I can look in either side mirror and move my head, strafing side to side a little to see my blind spots, which is easier for me than to turn my head and look without the mirrors.

Well I actually turn my head and look when I'm lane changing. But if I'm just checking to see if anyone is there, to see if I want to speed or slow down to get away from a car in my blind spot, I usually just use the mirrors. If I'm staying in the lane I'm in.

As for the Fiat 500, I'm not sure what I'd do if I get one. I guess I'll try to do the same with the left mirror. And for checking what is beside me, I can see what's immediately beside me through the window, and see how much further back I can see. I often test the vision range of the mirror and window when cars to the left are passing me. I'm satisfied when there is some overlap, where I see some of a passing car in both the mirror and my own eyes through the window.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have to completely agree if you push the view outward and aren't looking at your own car the view isn't so bad and the little mirror works well once adjusted to using it, even now after owning the car for as long as I have I still forget about the little mirror for a second but once I use it I find it works well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've seen people on the road turn to check their blind spot, they turn so much they are practically looking behind them. You know what I've also seen quite a few times in my 20 years or so of driving? People turn to check their blind spot and rear end the car in front when they had to suddently brake. You should never be taking your eyes away from what is in front of you, which is why you set your mirrors properly and use them. As it has been mentioned, push your mirrors out so you're not looking at your car. If you can hide a whole car between your windshield and side mirror they are WAY out of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I adjust my driver side outside mirror so that as the vehicle starts to move out of the big mirror they start to appear in the little convex extension so I have the best of both worlds, or at least for me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I adjust my driver side outside mirror so that as the vehicle starts to move out of the big mirror they start to appear in the little convex extension so I have the best of both worlds, or at least for me.
The only issue there is you are now relying on the smaller mirror for the most important information! I would rather have the large undistorted view showing me vehicles that are in the lane next to me. Once you get used to the view, you can very accurately, and quickly see if the car in the next lane is far enough behind for you to move over or not.

Here is an diagram of how you can optimize your main mirrors (note the spotter mirror is not on this diagram because its such a wide angle view it can cover a huge swath...its limitation is that because it covers so much, its difficult to instantly know where a car is....just that its there somewhere) Also the right mirror has a curve to it, so you'd have to move the crap out of the right mirror to make any appreciable difference in its view.

This is a good way to setup mirrors to eliminate the blind spot. People don't feel comfortable because they cant see the side of their car in the mirror...trust me, the side of your car is still there!

This is how most people set up their mirrors...leaving a huge blind spot

Reactions: skybluemet

·
Registered
72 Posts
You know what I've also seen quite a few times in my 20 years or so of driving? People turn to check their blind spot and rear end the car in front when they had to suddently brake.
That is so true and reading that makes me aware of it again. I haven't had a close call like that, as far as I can remember. But I have wavered off of a straight path a little while turning my head and had to nudge the steering wheel to get back on track. I might have found curving roads tricky as well when checking my blind spot like that.

And MeThinks, did you make those illustrations specifically for this thread? That is very impressive and that is so true in the second picture about how lots of people set their left mirror. I used to do that when I first started driving. Eventually I figured out how to use it better, like in the first picture. That was when I adjusted while watching cars on the left pass me, or I'm passing them. I try to get the overlap where I can see a car in my blind spot in the mirror, and at the same time through the window in my peripheral vision if I turn my head just a little. Not that I relied on my peripheral vision, but I make sure I have my left mirror set like that.

I did this when I test drove a Fiat but I don't remember any real situation where I had to check my left blind spot. I'll do it again if I do another test drive.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i have my mirrors adjusted outward no see my car.......but that blind spot is real if i had not double checked not once but twice...i would have been a fly on a windshield..... i know where they hide now so i really look there but will continue
to find the sweet spot

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
I'm going to bolt a couple these puppies on. I just really turn my head to the left, and look before changing lane to the left. Got the left hand mirror point out wards a lot more. Seems to work. If the rear head rest are up in the back, it seem to be a issue too.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Actually that isn't correct. I adjust the driver side mirror so that when a vehicle is in my blind spot they are in the small convex mirror extension and when they start to move forward out of that mirror I can just look over and see them visually. Probably won't make everyone happy, but it works for me.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That is so true and reading that makes me aware of it again. I haven't had a close call like that, as far as I can remember. But I have wavered off of a straight path a little while turning my head and had to nudge the steering wheel to get back on track. I might have found curving roads tricky as well when checking my blind spot like that.
Yea, the wavering I didn't mention but I see that daily as it seems to be a natural tendancy for many people to slightly turn towards the direction of their head.

MikeTHinks: You nailed with those images!! Very nice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts